IDW G5 #12

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3090790.jpg

This hectic, "save the world each week" lifestyle is no place for a mare with a precious child....

And now...time to get...hard boiled! *Jazz solo intensifies*
STL261831.jpg

This is another rock-solid issue, in my book. The writing is engaging. The art's lively and detailed. Just another good issue.

One character IS a *little* out of character...but I forgive them since it's a background character and not a main one. Also, the "mystery" really isn't anything to write home about. But, this is for little kids, so that's forgivable. This is also less "film noir" like Rarity's old adventures and more "crime podcast" (quite literally), the covers might mislead you a little bit. But, it does have a "detective" feel throughout the issue. It's still written well.

But, yeah, this is another easy recommendation for me. If you haven't completely written off the comics, these last two issues have been pretty good.

There are a LOT of background ponies in this comic. I'm sure most of these are references to different actors or celebrities, but I don't recognize any of them, myself.

Mare CRIME Bay...I just...LOVE that name. Hitch and Zipp have started a crime podcast together. Zipp is SO into it, I'm kind of wondering why SHE isn't the host.

I also kind of have to wonder about the ethics of the town sheriff HAVING a true crime podcast. Wouldn't that be a breach of some sort of confidentiality law?

There's shots of both Hitch and Zipp sipping on "coffee" this issue. (It's actually soup...which is surprisingly plot relevant). I don't know, it just really adds to the atmosphere of the podcasting room.

If you look close...they even misspelled Hitch's name on his "coffee" cup. "Hooch". It's just a cute little detail.

He find out there's a pony that went missing without any warning. Pansy Silverbell. Hitch thinks it's related to a heated baking contest.

I have to say, these "troll" posts...are REALLY vanilla. Honestly, I don't even think they're "mean", like the story wants you to think. Maybe a little competitive, but not really "threats"

Jazz's reaction to getting interrogated by Hitch and her....poses, are all really fun and lively here. There's just so much character in her little slouch.

Hitch and Zipp's faces they make while eating the delicious soup are pretty great, too. This MUST be some next level soup. (This is where I figured out the mystery, just to note.)

Dahlia's "dream" of wanting to open a bakery is the "little out of character" moment I mentioned. She already has a flower stand. I don't think we've seen any hint of her wanting to open a bakery instead. But, meh, you CAN have two dreams. It's a really minor quibble.

Dahlia is so sad and on the verge of tears throughout this entire issue. Someone give this poor pony a hug!

"Umami Bomb" ....I'd try those dumplings.

The "twist" of the mystery...is kind of a giant nothing. And I find it hard to believe that NO ONE saw Pansy since...she's RIGHT THERE! Seriously, how did Pansy go to work everyday with Dahlia right next to her, but she just never saw her?

But...I have to give the issue credit...it IS a solvable mystery. The clues in the issue add up. The way people acted throughout the issue make sense, especially Jazz in hindsight. It's a well enough done "kids" mystery. Plus, it helps that I just like this art. There's so many little details in the background.

Last edited:

Top Bottom