IDW G5 #11

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony…

3055358.png

The Discord arc wrapped up! And Discord started a theme park in the ruins of Canterlot! (I’m joking…maybe).

And now, a new chapter opens in the era of G5 My Little Pony comics.

2989238.jpg

So…the big question…is it any good?

Actually…this might be in the running for the BEST issue of G5 IDW yet. The characters are really well written, and there’s some really good dialogue in this one with a bit of bite to it. The art is really good. Honestly, I’d say this artist might be in the running for at least being the second best we’ve seen on the book. This is just a all-around solid issue. And if you were upset about the Halloween issue (#5) being a little weak, this actually makes up for it. Let’s just say this Ouija Board cover is actually rather fitting.

So…yeah, I’d say pick it up if you still have any interest in the comic left. This is one of the better ones. Pipp issues have been really solid so far.

The Old Nag Challenge. So…they’re summoning a demonic ghost at a slumber party. Immediately, the issue has my attention. There’s even candles on the floor and everything.

“I’m going to drag YOU to the trash and STUFF you inside if you don’t stop bugging me!” Ooof, savage, Zipp. Pipp and Zipp are really rough on each other this entire issue. It actually feels kind of realistic. This is some real sibling stuff, right here.

SENIOR BUTTERSCOTCH! This guy just keeps showing up. He shows up, he gets the work done, I love it every time. I have to wonder though…is he just getting MADE here? Is this (chronologically) his first appearance?

Izzy is a little on the nose, though. I don’t know if you really need to explain the plot THIS much. I think kids understand Youtubers wanting subscribers.

“I’m going to ask my FRIENDS for help, since this clearly doesn’t matter to you.” Ooof, again. Pipp lands that guilt bomb.

Aawwww, Zipp showed up to her damage-control meeting. She does care…

“MeganRules” They even mention a sister. This is a better G1 crossover than Generations, right here.

“KelpieKate” Not sure if this is a reference to Katie Cook or not, but I’m going to pretend it is.

Asking Izzy to make a summoning doll…actually, I feel like Izzy would be all for this. She’s a little spooked here, and we’ve seen her be superstitious before, but I feel like she’d jump at the chance to make a “ghost friend”.

I have to wonder if the doll is a Smarty Pants reference from G4 Lesson Zero.

“I’m not making a doll to lure the spirit of a angry pony with these.” Aaaw, but everyone loves googly eyes, Izzy.

I just love that Pipp cares about giving this ghost-summoning doll a cute little hat.

“From Reinit user PonyPoniPone” They have Reddit in the pony world. And I just like that username.

“I didn’t use the disrespectful rattly eyes! Why are you doing this to me!” It’s because she LIKED the googly eyes, Izzy. Everyone likes googly eyes.

“I can’t go back…I have Bambino Butterscotch to think of.” Bambino Butterscotch! Oh, so this isn’t technically Senior Butterscotch. Hmm….have we seen this variation before? Is this a preview of something in the next season of Make Your Mark?

This shot of them revealing Nagathine Irons’ ghost is really atmospheric

Blair Witch Project references!

Aww, Pipp used her ghost-summoning wish to wish the ghost a Happy Birthday.

And the obvious reveal is obvious. Do I even have to tell you? I bet you can guess.

“You’re such a li’l pega-nugget, I forget how tough you are” She just cracked one of her cameras with the sheer force of her rage, Zipp. Maybe don’t go calling her short, too.

Huh, they’re hinting at the next issue with Detective Hitch. Maybe there is some sort of a overarching plot running through this?

“…Is it weird to be eating a snack shaped like Cloudpuff?” “Nah, he’d totally eat a snack shaped like us.” Honestly, I’d probably try the Cloudpuff-sicles, too. I just like that they addressed it.

And so peace returns…OR DOES IT?!

…It does.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I MIGHT be overselling it a little. I don't want you to get your hopes too high...but I do think this is a solid issue. Not life changing, but solid.

I could see a argument that some of the characters are a *little* off in this issue...but it's within reason, to me at least.

If all the issues were like this going forward, I would be content. You have to remember..."The Best G5 Comic" is a pretty low bar to clear.

Top Bottom