IDW 10th Anniversary Special!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
137093.jpg.095ef48c8f6cc1a3ee402bbac719329e.jpg

Country roads...take me home...to the place...I belong.....

STL247978.jpg

So, we've gotten a 10th Anniversary Special. It's mostly a reprint of the very first issue of IDW's Friendship is Magic. But, I believe there is a new short story included as well.

The first issue of IDW's MLP comics came out November 28 2012. To give you some context, this would be right in the middle of the shortest season of MLP, Season 3, right after "One Bad Apple" (Bab Seed's first appearance). Twilight was still a unicorn. Discord wasn't reformed, yet. Sombra had just made his first appearance a few weeks prior. Trixie was JUST about to make her second appearance. It was a different age....

So is it worth the $8 asking price?

....Unfortunately, again, the weather prevents me from picking up my comics right away. With the holiday over the weekend, I might not be able to pick this up until next week. Still, the thread's here for the people who can pick it up.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The cover is spot on early IDW. Maybe IDW's been sinking all their enthusiasm into whatever extra story they included in this.

The early issues are still good. The first arc was a remarkably strong start. The second arc didn't feel as good at the time, but I think it aged well.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I finally made it to the comic shop! Again! I really hope these weather-delays don't become a regular thing!

So...the big question...is it worth the $8? Well...I enjoyed the new story. But, be aware that the new story is only 4 pages long. It...answers a long-standing criticism of the comics. That's all I'll say outside of spoilers.

There is a 2 page interview with Tony Fleecs...but, that interview is kind of standard and not really all that revealing. The most interesting tidbit is probably that he's working on G5 Make Your Mark now. The meat and potatoes of this special really is just a reprint of the very first issue of Friendship is Magic. There's a nice cover gallery, including covers from the original printing and this reprint. But...that's it.

It's a *little* high priced for that, in my opinion. It would have been better if this was maybe...$6? But...I'm still glad I picked it up. Maybe I'm just being sentimental, but it's been a while since I've read that first issue. I've missed this style.

Let's do spoilers, just for the fun of it.

For that reprint:
Man, I forgot how DENSE this first issue was. There's so much going on in every page! In every panel! In every face! In every LINE! So many little references and nods and winks, it's great. I honestly don't know if IDW could get away with this many references nowadays.

A possum before Luna's pet Tibbles appeared!

"Birds. Piglets. Bunnies" Is this a Winnie the Pooh reference? I FEEL like it's a Winnie the Pooh reference. It's probably just the "piglets" part.

Ah..."Hippology". Already with the puns on the first page.

"Mr Mc-Bitey-Pants" Fluttershy always did have such interesting names for her critters.

Scootaloo teaching a bear how to scoot IS pretty impressive, really.

Oh, and this third page! So many little references. The Blues Brothers. Andy Price, Katie Cook, and Lauren Faust ponies! Screwball (that pony Discord drove nuts)! G1 Firefly! Doctor Hooves!

Sweetcream Scoops (the sorbet-recolor of Twilight from the Blind Bag toys)!

Everyone's getting turned into Pod People. Or... Invasion of the Body Snatchers, going by that scream.

Was early Andy Price's faces TOO MUCH? Eh, I like them. It added a lot of life to the artwork. But, I'll admit, seeing these character's faces contort like this...is potentially nightmare fuel.

Ah...All the little references in the pile of books. "Herding Cats". "To Serve Ponies". "Why Apes Will Rule". So many little details to pour over. I've missed Andy Price on art.

They never did explain HOW Celestia sent that form letter through Spike, if she was away at the time. I guess Kibitz did it. (...Look it up).

"It's clobbering time!" So...SO MANY references!

Walk like a zombie. Thriller-night!

Derpy! Ah, the changeling even has get a bonk on the head to get the eyes right.

Obvious creepy evil lair is obvious.

"This would be the best party ever if we weren't about to be turned into pod-ponies" Pinkie has her priories straight.

Fluttershy hulking out after Rainbow get's slugged never did become a lasting meme, did it?

I'm sure Pinkie's new-Rarity-hair is a refernce to another Blind Bag pony, but I have no idea who.

The Observer (A Fringe reference, for those who forget...Does anyone remember Fringe?) shows up for the first time.

I guess Queen Chrysalis is connected to the dragonfire mail network. I wonder what kind of mail she gets?

"...Mule!" Language, Rarity!

I will forever regret that the Mane 6 never did meet any Ninja Monkies on their adventures.

Oh, and YES, Katie Cook's little two-page comic from the original printing of this comic IS included. It's not much, but it's a cute little mini-story.

So, what's YOUR favorite reference in the first issue? Because...there's a LOT. I'm sure I missed a ton.

And the new story:
Yeah, revealing that SPIKE was the one writing the IDW comic the whole time? That's great. I love that. They even add the detail of him starting to write the comic AFTER the first two seasons, just like in real life. It's all very meta, but I'm here for it.

And they have their cake and eat it too, with the last page. Adult/Timeskip Spike has a entire secret cave FULL of referneces to the IDW comics. And...seem to be keeping in touch with a old comics-exclusive character. Nice touch. I kind of love this last panel. It's such a love-letter to those 100+ issues.

I'm posting this panel, but there's big spoilers in it.
spike_mina_collection.png

Shining Armor and Cadence's Prom, Nightmare Rarity, Accord, the Mirrorverse Sombra. "Possum chow". So MANY references.

And having it be drawn by Andy Price is perfect. The bit with the giant cockatrices that looks like it's from Katie Cook is from another short story from FIM #4, the last part of this story. Nice touch.

I'll admit...I AM that stereotypical comic book nerd, sometimes. But...I do really love those IDW comics, too. Sometimes a easy joke is just too tempting, you know?

"Remember to invent word processor" ...Cute.

The Observer shows up one last time. *Sniff* I'll miss this background character.

Hmm..."party canon"...where have I heard that phrase before?...

....For real, I'm pretty sure I picked up that phrase on Equestria Daily at some point. I like that phrase, too. It helps describe what the IDW run was. Fun...even if it doesn't always fit.

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
Okay, that's a clever way around the rather deuterocanonical nature of the G4 comic.

---Dave

Top Bottom