[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Scarlet eyed the Unicorn as he spoke of thievery and unhealthy fame. Then a slow, and slightly crooked grin spread across his face.

"You are very much more than you appear to be Snowy Skies. You're right though. A talented thief, in my admittedly limited experience, has only so many ways to go. A lomer, hunted by good and bad. A hardened thrillseekers, taking bigger and bigger risks until it all goes south. Or a they take that one job that goes very dark, very fast, and end up at a crossroads from which they can either take their skills and do some good. Or sit in a very small room, for a very long time. Still, i tend not to judge thievery too harshly. Unless the pony thief in question is an unrepentant jerk with no conscience.

Well. That and the fact that at least a few of my artifact aquisitions have had to be achieved through...less than legal means," he said added with a smirk.

So," Scarlet said, giving Snowy a sly look. "Did the Chief give you the "You can stay where you are, or you can come and work for me," speech?"

"It was Zig-Zag, actually. The museum greeter." Snowy replies. He really couldn't think of a better reaction. "I didn't meet the director until she was shrouded in mystery and prestige."

"If it helps, I've been doing field work for years and this is only the... ... fourth or fifth time I've seen a medic afterwards."

That was probably the least helpful thing Static could hear. Too many things skewed the numbers: how long is "for years?" What's his pain tolerance? Is he counting 'field work' done while dream walking?

Static sighed. "It's not so much the pain...though that does kinda suck too. It's just...

"I don't like being helpless! Wouldn't now just be the perfect time for Silent Belle or Dazzling Midnight to just come strolling in?"

[Just you against the two of them? You're not in tip top shape yourself!]

Static laughed bitterly.

"Appreciate the thought, Night. But just you against both of them? You're not in tip top shape either." Static gave another bitter laugh. "No. Not saying anything will happen. In fact, it probably won't. But if it does, your move would be to get Flairvoyant and get the Tartarus out of here. I'd only slow you down."

"It might be safer to run but I can't see us just leaving you behind. We're a team and a good team sticks together."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Zig Zag?" Scarlet cocked his head, thinking back to his time at the Keep. Trying to match names to faces.

"Stripey pony? Unique way of talking?"

Static smile at his friends. "Together it is!"

He looked around, pain shooting through his neck for the effort. Nope! No escape routes for three ponies in the shape they were in. And Night Cap made a very fair observation about staying ahead of unicorn magic anyways.

"There are some days I really regret being born an earth pony."

"He heh...twice!" Static said with a grin. "Though technically those come with an asterisk. It's the teleportation that I'm curios about. I'm going to have to ask my mother about my Aunts good luck charm."

"I don't know how I did it. One moment I was caught in a net. I caught sight of Raphsody who was free. I wished I could be fighting beside her. One flash of light later and there I was. My aunts good luck charm was glowing right before it happened...so...coincidence?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Woah! Easy, Night! I just went to Manehatten last weekend to visit my mother...you know...so I could lie to her about why I've been so hard to reach. I think she saw through my lies...said she could see my fathers 'adventurous spirit finally awakened in me'.

"It used to belong to my Aunt...Mary...Miley...Mmmm...never really got to meet family outside of Manehatten growing up. But I never knew my aunt...never saw this thing before my mother gave it to me. I've had it for less than a week and it's the first time I've seen it act like this."

It's just my mother ever since my father ran out. I used to be too wasted to do much of anything on my days off. Now that I'm a different pony than I used to be...I got some bridges to rebuild.

Another nurse wheeled in a a cart with a single small cup on it. The first nurse looked at Static Signal and said, "You'll need to drink this cup of pickle juice. I can dole it out in spoonfuls if you still need assistance."

Brisk Iron replied with, "While it initially seemed like a questionable choice, she saw something of worth in Snowy. I try to trust my employees so we followed through on recruiting him."

"My father actually left because there was some doubt that he was my father. After I was able to confirm it during one of our training exercises, I decided to track him down. They're trying to work things out. But given how long things dragged out...well...they've got their work cut out for them, that's for sure."

It took him a moment after all that to realize he hadn't really answered the question. "Umm...no. No souvenirs...no."

Static turned green with disgust at the look of the pickle juice. "What the heck is that for? Can...can just get a straw? Maybe some water to wash it down with?"

The second nurse set a straw in the cup. "It's to help with the muscle cramps. It won't be as strong as some other remedies but it should help induce some of your own natural healing. And yes, we can get you some water in a moment."

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I suppose if I just chug it...get it over and done with." Static closed his eyes and prepared himself for some serious wretching. He reflexively wanted to gag the second the pickle juice hit his tongue. But then his ears perked up and he had the rest of the cup down in short order. "Heeey! That was just like Skivey's chicken broth soup surprise! I think the surprise was that there wasn't any chicken."

Scarlet nodded in response to the Chiefs words.

"After hearing about and seeing Snowy in action. Coupled with his animated rundown of your current team, provided all the evidence i could need to not argue with that choice.

Not that i would've done anyway of course," he added with a grin.

"You and your staff have always had good intuition when it comes to talent and potential. Not sure why you picked me bavk then," Scarlet saud with a chuckle.

"I can't see why they wouldn't. You have the professional credentials and it can be assumed you have similar skills as your parents" Splash Flaunt interjected as she absently looked out the window.

Scarlet laughed at that, rubbing his head self-consciously.

"That is very kind of you Ms. Flaunt, and hopefully quite true. I simply couldn't resist a bit of self-mockery when thinking of the team."

"Hm. Speaking of my parents, i guess i'd better let them know i'm back at the Keep at some point," Scarlet added thoughtfully.

"Oh shoot! My camera! I was supposed to be documenting this." Static looks around. Night Cap, the only other one here who was trained to use the equipment, probably wasn't in any shape to handle this either.
Perfect!

"That's unfortunate but I'm sure somepony among your group can take notes. Perhaps photos could be taken at another visit."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy had rather appreciated being an anonymous janitor, but he supposed that now that he was a tour guide, ponies would notice him anyways. A little less secrecy on top of that wouldn't hurt. "If things are opening up more, could I potentially have access to old STOMP team reports? I think they'd make good reading."

Spoiler

As far as Snowy Skies could recall, he didn't know anypony at the Caballuston branch of the Keep named Dart or Darty. Meanwhile, Brisk Iron sat and thought for a minute before responding with, "I think it's finally time. I remember Static also asking about them as well. However, it will be through limited access. There's still security concerns to worry about. Plus, there's the basic safety of the archived materials themselves."

"Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to meeting all the new faces on the teams." Pausing for a moment, Scarlet considered the Chiefs plans for STOMP.

"Making STOMP more common knowledge than restricted secret. Why the change Chief?"

"Not so much of common knowledge as an open secret. The change has a lot to do with morale and overall culture. It used to be grand honor to discover you were chosen to be in STOMP but in recent times many seem confused. They were picked for potential that they don't even see in themselves. The other concern is basic logistics. It's one thing to keep the status of individual artifacts and expeditions secret. It's another to hide your whole existence. We've already revealed some basic information to all of the department heads in the Caballuston branch of the Keep. Admittedly, at least a portion of the secrecy was the increase of freelancers on expeditions. It affects some teams like Darty's more than others."

"Why, are they a more clandestine team than ours?" Snowy doubted that; nobody at the Keep had known about his job until Brisk Iron had decided otherwise. But he had always found that you got better information out of ponies when you answered a question wrong than if you had simply asked it outright.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Brisk Iron arched her eyebrow as she looked at Snowy Skies. "That's not the vocabulary I'd use. At least one of the members of Darty's team is in a situation similar to what Light Fantastic had with us. Since you'll be meeting them eventually, I guess I can let you know it's the concert harpist, Shale Antiquity. Outside of expeditions, she's occasionally provided music for some limited exhibits."

Spoiler

Spoiler

Snowy blinks in surprise. "Shale Antiquity? The Silver Star of the Harp?! She's unparalleled! She moved Celestia to tears at a Summer Sun festival, long before Luna returned! She, she..." His eyes roll back in his head, and he tips to one side before catching his balance and shaking himself back to reality. "Does she bring her harp on missions? Actually, I'm surprised she goes on missions. She's a little old for this line of work, isn't she?"

Brisk Iron narrowed her eyes. "Considering I'm in better shape than most of my employees, age isn't always an issue." Her mood lightened again. "But yes, she does bring the harp with her. She has a technique for doing it but it's best to experience that first hoof."

Not one to let a point rest, Snowy responds, "She's older than you, ma'am. She has grandchildren. I will definitely have to meet her." He idly wonders how she carries around a harp the size of her most famous instrument, a replica Maroque harp almost twice as tall as she is...

As the conversation flowed over him, Scarlet could only swivel his head back and forth. He almost laughed a few times too. At Snowys reaction to this Shale Antiquity, or Brisk Iron pointed response about age. But he resisted the urge, content to merely grin while he racked his brains about these two ponies the Chief was talking about. Had Dart been around during his tenure? Or maybe had been starting as he left? And Shale Antiquity. Had he seen a performance by her? Maybe with his parents.

Spoiler

Turning to Snowy Skies, Scarlet smiled.

"You're only as old as you feel Snowy. Trust me, if my parents acted their ages, they wouldn't still be trekking across Equestria on a regular basis."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Actually, I do have a question. It's been nice visiting your city, enjoying your hospitality and comparing notes about COIN. But I'm thinking, COIN has operated in a lot of cities: here, Cabulluston, Manehatten, Nightmare Heights. That would make for a lot of visits if we were to try and compare notes every time something comes up.

"Of course, we'd have to pass this by the Cheif, see what she says. But what would you say to a Morse Code information network between cities entirely devoted to sharing any information we gain about COIN? Immediate sharing of information in order to more efficiently take these ponies down?"

"Those suits are only for city employees, many of which are in some form of security. They were made by Gentle Tweed, who was at dinner last night. He was also the first pony to attempt to get through Building X. After he failed, I found out what his skills were and had him start making suits for me. Tweed has been quite grateful for the job opportunity so he can take care of Needelle. He also seems to be oddly lucky. My dinner guests are usually part of a random draw of the population and Tweed's won the most times.

As far as a Morse Code network, I would love it. However, that decision may be out of my hooves. What Double Dusk said is probably far more true than I'd like. As much as I've tried to improve the city and change our reputation, Petrichor Falls has a reputation. Many places want nothing to do with us. It's one of several reasons I tend to send representatives like the Mauvenine Four when I need something done. You're among the few who have come to us."

It took a while but Scarlet Spectrum remembered that his parents had taken him to some of Shale Antiquity's concerts when he was young and his parents took him backstage a few times. However, he also remembered she composed a few pieces for some of his mother's movies, including 'Mystery of the Mulberry Spectacle' and 'King Sombra's Mines'. It wasn't common knowledge since she often used a different name for movie credits.

While he never met her, Scarlet Spectrum remembered hearing rumors about an exceptional new hire named Dart before she transferred. Apparently, she was to be working on a revised heating system for some sort of arctic base. Meanwhile, Brisk Iron absently mumbled,
"Yes, I think I'll go with 'only as old as you feel' for now."

Spoiler

Snowy looks at Brisk Iron, fighting with the baffled smile that had forced itself onto his face. There was no way this was true. Was it? "Director, do you have grandchildren?"

"No, I don't."

"Aw." Snowy seems disappointed, like a child who got an action figure for christmas, just like they asked, but suddenly realized it was the wrong character.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static shrugged. It wasn't much of a shrug, but it was a shrug. That surprised even him. That pickle juice must be working.

"Well, if the network is centralized around the Keep, whom you have a good relationship with now if not before, the other cities probably wouldn't have much say in the matter if you wish to be included. And if they don't trust your intel at first, they will after the first couple times it pans out. It could even be the chance you need to begin changing Petrichor Falls reputation.

"If Brisk Iron can set things up, I'll have no complaints. However, I'm sure at least part of her network is routed through Caballuston itself so infrastructure is a concern. I guess we'll see what happens with future correspondence."

As his memories of anything tha hadn't happened more than a century ago funally started flowing, his eyes sparkled with a remembered pleasure.

"Auntie Jade Eyes," he blurted out, then hastily tried to cover with a throat clearing and a mumnled. "When did Ms. Antiquity start working for you Chief?"

...He remembered his first time seeing Shale Antiquity perform. His parents had 'dragged' their energetic--and temperamental--son along with them to 'some boring musical' thing, in an attempt to culture him up. He'd made a bit of fuss by being fidgety and talkative, until the music started.

Scarlet had initially tried to remain resistant to this 'classical stuff'. However, as the melodies flowed into and through him, the young pegasus stopped fidgeting. He stopped moving altogether and simply, listened. The music made him feel the way he felt when he was flying. Out of the corner of his eye, Scarlet had seen his mother give his father a knowing look. After the performance, his mother said they were going backstage. Scarlet was now, ubfortunately, back to being a grunpy-ish colt, so his first meeting with Shale Antiquity could have been very bad. However, having children of her own, along with a sharp wit and a no-nonsense attitude, the grey harpist had snapped him out of his grumpiness, and on to what he'd thought of the music. He'd babbled on for what seemed like ages about how much he'd soared with the melodies that he'd gotten worried he might annoy Ms. Antiquity. But he hadn't. And from that point onwards, she became a family friend.

The thought of meeting his 'Auntie' again made him both very happy, and a little apprehensive. Pushing that aside for the moment, Scarlet mulled over the other pony the Chief had mentioned.

"Was Dart Nouveau something to do with an...arctic base? All i remember is she was a new hire coming in as i was going out. I think."

"I'll be sure to make the suggestion in my report."
It then occurred to Static that he was probably in no shape to actually write a report. "Or better yet, I'll just ask her pony to pony when I see her."

Scarlet's first statement had not gone unnoticed. No, quite the opposite.

Snowy's muzzle swivels to Scarlet, and he levels his most intense gaze on the pegasus , his eyes dancing with hope. Scarlet has the unsettling sensation that something is crawling down his spine, and whatever it is, it is also on fire. He feels that this is a pivotal moment in his life, a crossroads of destiny. "You...know...Shale Antiquity?" Snowy can barely choke out the words over his excitement.

Scarlet felt an (oddly fiery) shudder run up and down his spine as Snowys Skies stared at him, and, from what Scarlet could tell, all but pinging of the walls in excitement. It was quite clear to Scarlet that there was only one thing to say to the animated Unicorns hope. Here was clearly a fan who had followed, and admired, Shales work for a long time. Inwardly, Scarlet smiled.

"Y-yeah 'cough', uh, i mean. Yes, i do. Shale Antiquity is a family friend. It started out as just my oarents going to her performances. Then they brought me along the night they got to go backstage and meet her. Uh 'cough' i could, uh, introduce you, if you like?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Boss, I brought those things youse wanted me to bring." One of the Mauvenine Four had brought two small, ornate purple boxes. Grape Vine opened one and showed it to the STOMP team. Inside were several gems cut into a variety of shapes. Half of them were red beryl and half were prasiolite. "This was what I wanted Sard to see. They were said to be found in the same general area as the Amethyst Astrolabe. I had hoped her expert eye might discern something. The prasiolite is the same shade and luster as my wand. It shouldn't need to be asked due to today's events but...will you be able to get this to Savant Sard safely?"

Maple had been quietly listing, her other self was gone... and she sort of felt lonely. Having a twin... meant having a sister... having a family, and now she'd lost her. Sure she wasn't really real.. or really a twin sister - but it reminded Maple of that lingering pain... She almost didn't hear Boss Vine's question, and only answered with a slow nod... hopefully one of her friends was better prepared to answer.

"You're in pretty rough shape. Maybe we should let Rhapsody handle this." Static said, noting a gleam in Night Cap's eye that he didn't particularly like.

"Only one of the boxes goes to Sard. The other...well, I'd say it goes to all of you but you should probably give it to Brisk Iron." Opening the other box, she revealed a single wax coin with the engraved image of an alicorn. "There's a few well off families in Equestria who have these. It not worth anything on its own but it represents...an agreement. If you're speaking with one of them, you may 'spend' it to call in a favor." Flairvoyant nodded her head. "I always thought these were just a rumor. Don't worry, we'll make sure the Chief Director gets this."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Mr. Night Cap's report should be an informative read, and fill in anything Miss Spark and Miss Rhapsody didn't see first hoof." Maple Looked over to Night Cap, She wasn't sure how much better he was feeling... but he Hadn't been sent to the hospital with the others. "If you aren't feeling up to it, I could write it out for you." Maple asked, wiggling a few feathers in his direction as she spoke.

When Scarlet offered to introduce them, Snowy's head had looked like it was going to explode, but by the time they had exited the aircraft he looked more normal, though he still had something of a goofy grin on his face. He looks at Misty and raises an eyebrow. "A tornado?" Is all he says.

Misty shrugs her shoulders. "It was taken care of."

"That's a problem that I hoped would never happen. I'll definitely need to read the reports...and visit the two of them at the hospital. For the moment, I at least have some good news from our side of things. This is Scarlet Spectrum. He's a former employee who will be rejoining the Keep and will be joining your team."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple gave the new Stallion a quick look ...
Looks a little distinguished,
oooh not a Unicorn...
another Redhead yeah!

"Welcome Back Mr. Spectrum, my name's Maple... Maple turned her attentions to Mr. Skies.
"Thank you for the Magic items Snowy, they were Amazing and helped me catch a super Bad Guy!"

Rhapsody looks over to Brisk as she comments about Scarlet. "Ah, its good to see we already will have a replacement in line..."

"Replacement? I don't understand what you mean."

Rhapsody closes her eyes for a moment and takes a breath. "Chief Director, We need to have a serious talk about Night Cap; he continues to prove a liability for the team."

Brisk Iron looked over to Night Cap then back to Rhapsody. "Come with me to my office so we can discuss this. Scarlet, you know the procedures for donations and post mission protocol so you handle things for now."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Guess it's going to be an oral report..." Maple scrunched her nose... foiled again, one day she will get to read one.
"Do you need help getting there Mr. Night Cap?"

Scarlet blinked. Looking in surpise from the retreating back of the Chief, to the rest of the Petrichor Falls team, to the boxes containing the donations, and back again.

"Oh, uh, ok. Yeah, i can do that." Clearing his throat, Scarlet addressed the remaining ponies. "Hello, i'm Scarlet Spectrum. Pleased to meet you. Snowy Skies has told me a lot about you," he said, and couldn't stop a slight grin from crossing his face. "Now, i guess we'd better get these boxes unloaded, and their contents sent to be catalouged. While we do that, i'd we can swap info on your time in Petrichor, and our time up in Nightmare Heights.

Shall we?"

Upon arriving at her office, Brisk Iron sat at her desk and addressed Rhapsody. "What are your concerns with Night Cap?"

Though Rhapsody's statement had been ominous, nothing could dampen Snowy's good mood right now. "Slow down, Mr. Head Honcho." He says playfully. "Let's wheel all of this over to Acquisitions before we start dragging things."

Not being able to help Night Cap, who apparently wasn't invited to go defend his own honor... Maple gave him a quick sneaky side hug, and then went to Follow Mr. Spectrum.

"Excuse me Mr. sir? ...um Mr. Spectrum... did you get to try any swamp peppers?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Scarlet eyed his Unicorn friend for a second, then started to laugh.

"Careful Snowy, you might give delusions of grandeur if you make me sound too important," he replied in a similarly playful tone.

"Hm, yes, taking to Aquisitions is more what i had in mind Snowy. The Chief kindof threw me offkiler by saying 'you know what to do' and heading off. Glad you've still got your head screwed on." Then he grinned. "More or less.

But yes, lets got these to Aquisitions."

Turning to Night Cap, Scarlet nodded to the dreamwalker. "I know that sentiment well Night Cap. Don't worry though, despite what Rhapsody said. I am not here to replace you. Merely returning to duty on the team." Looking back and Maplejack, Scarlet shook his head.

"No, i've not tried any peppers yet Ms. Malejack, though Snowy, the Chief, Ms. Flaunt and I did have an interesting culinary discussion on the air ferry here."

"I Live at a Candy Store...do you like Chocolate? You should Meet my Friend Miss Sweet!" Maple liked meeting new ponies, but she was also desperate to not think about Mr. Night Cap's potential doom.

"You do, do you? Well then, when i get settled in, you will have to show me this Candy store. I do like a nice chocolate every once in a while. Does your friend run the store?"

A Candy store eh?

"There should some trolleys somewhere for use in wheeling new arrivals, so carrying shouldn't be necessary."

Scarlet looked around, trying to find what he needed.

Spoiler

"Oh yes, she's the owner, and primary ... Maple struggled to remember the big word Miss Sweet used to describe herself that wasn't Maple's go-to 'candyologist' ... Confectioner and Master Chocolatier, though I help when ever she needs an extra set of hooves. I normally have samples with me to help promote the shop... but the didn't last the trip."

*gurrr*

Maple's tummy rumpled as if the memory was stored there instead of her head.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy picks a carts and hooks himself in, humming quietly. "So it sounds like Petrichor Falls was a sight more eventful than Nightmare Heights. What in Equestria happened?"

Motionless.

The air might have been a pleasant temperature and the Caballuston nursing staff might have been friendly but Static Signal was in another hospital with little ability to move. Flairvoyant was on another bed nearby and clearly she was still a little dizzy. However, a smile crept across her face as she stared at the ceiling.
"Heh, shame I didn't get to see that crazy stunt you pulled. But all the same...thanks. It takes a special something inside a pony to put it all on the line for others."

Static winced. "Thanks...but...don't give me too much praise. I mean, I'm glad I did it. I wouldn't change that. I'm glad it worked. It's just..."

[Don't say it!]

"I didn't really have time to think about what I was doing. I...dread to think what might have happened if I had."

[Cripes! Do you have to say everything that comes into your mind?]

"But that's just it. Your reflex was to save somepony. That's good for this job. Anchors and I sure didn't have time to plan when that storm hit years ago."

"Oh, I'll help with the carts!"

Spoiler

"A lot of stuff happened, Snowy! We got to eat dinner, and then we went to sleep, and then we woke up, and then we had breakfast, and..."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static was comforted by Flairvoyants words. "Thanks!" He said. "There's kind of an odd thing when you live alone and work alone...basically being a loner for most of your life by circumstance rather than by choice. When you finally do gain a friends...especially a group of friends you literally entrust your life with...well...it makes you loath to risk losing any one of them."

"Like I said, I'm glad it worked. It was one of those moments I wish I wasn't an earth-pony...but I'm glad it worked."

"I remember Anchors telling us about the time about the storm. Don't suppose you have any other stories? Like maybe...not necessarily but maybe...when did you first find out she was a seapony?"

"I actually met her as a seapony first so I didn't get a reveal moment. I do remember how happy she was when she first got that spell or whatever it was that allowed her to walk on land. She was far more unsteady than she is now but she was so happy. It was as much of a new discovery for her as any expedition. She would sit in Brisk Iron's office for briefings with a cup of water and the biggest smile on her face."

Static smiled at the thought of a newly transformed Anchors. "It must have been really something for her, a whole new world with new horizons to pursue! Kinda makes me wonder what things are like under the sea."

Static sighed. "I've lived in two cities so far that are bordered by water. One of these days I really should learn to swim."

"Yeah, you probably should learn soon. I mean, what if one day something happens and Brisk Iron gives you that look, you know, the 'you know what you did' look, and you start walking backwards to get away and fall in a canal? And what if the canal had three sharks, five sea monsters, and a changeling that looked like a really angry Brisk Iron?" Flairvoyant asked all this with a look of mock horror before laughing. "But seriously, there are tons of ponies in the city who can teach you how to swim. You should probably ask Brisk Iron about getting you signed up for something. It'll certainly be good to know on this job."

Static laughed as Flairvoyant went through the list. "Ha ha oww ha oww ha ha ha oww! Ngh! Yeah...somehow I think if that happens, drowning will be the least of my troubles. I mean...have you ever been in trouble with Brisk Iron before?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"oh Gosh, Miss Sweet didn't say there were sharks and sea monsters here when she offered to let me Move in!" Maple shivers, she hadn't known how dangerous her visit to Miss Away's house had been... she could swim -okay, wings made for strong oars ... but she agreed that lessons might be good if she had to out swim sharks.

o_O *gulp*

"Not me but I saw her chew somepony else out once. Ouch. And there was one time I had a dream about it. Come to think of it, it was that time I ate a whole carton of Quintuple Peanut Butter Oat Surprise ice cream and the dream did have sharks and sea monsters in it. Huh."

Upon arriving at her office, Brisk Iron sat at her desk and addressed Rhapsody. "What are your concerns with Night Cap?"

Spoiler

Once Rhapsody was in the privacy of Brisk's office she looked to the older mare. "Chief, as you know I've had issues with how Night Cap handles himself since the very beginning. Running out on Battles, not participating in battles, being overly friendly with known enemies, among other issues I've mentioned in my reports. Every mission, he continues to show no ability to actually work as part of a team. But this past mission has pushed my willingness to just let him be and hope his incompetence would make other realize what I already had. We had a hostage crisis, a bunch of Bank staff locked in vault. I told Night Cap to Handle that, because I thought he'd be able to handle it quickly and professionally, considering his cutie mark is a Key and all, while the rest of the team dealt the TAKE ponies. But I forgot the fact in that he is Night Cap, and as such He constantly refused to do so, despite repeated reminders, further endangering the ponies in the vault. A pony that can not not follow simple orders is going to be be a liability to this team in the long run."

"I would bet Brisk Iron would be the hardest one of those to face. I...actually have been on the wrong side of that once. I was a pretty different pony then. Hopefully different enough I never have to face it a second time." Static sighed as he thought that Night Cap might be facing it at this very moment. "Wait a minute! Quintuple Peanut Butter Oat Surprise? That sounds...well...that sounds delicious! But it sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen. You're brave!"

"I think I got a little less brave afterwards. And I've heard they don't make it anymore so that might say something about it."

Brisk Iron frowned upon hearing the news. "This is a serious concern that needs to be resolved before another expedition comes up. One question--did he give any indication to why he didn't obey the order?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Shame! And here you had my curiosity piqued." Static's grin was unmissable. "I'm sure it's quite good...in small doses. But a whole carton?"

"Actually, I've had quite a few interesting meals lately. Having been used to tasteless oat bars and bottom-shelf chimicherrychangas, this job can be fascinating from the cuisine standpoint alone. The stew of Nightmare Heights, the pasta of Petrichor...heck...even some of the food I've had around Caballuston...it's quite the experience in itself."

"It makes me wonder...the food, the culture, the sites...how does a pony take a desk job after experiencing being in the field?"

"Look at where you are.

Now...ask me that question again. Also, I'll still help out from time to time. Just not always. It's a change of pace. Besides, now you have somepony in the office who understands field work."

"Look at where you are.

[Fair point]

Now...ask me that question again. Also, I'll still help out from time to time. Just not always. It's a change of pace. Besides, now you have somepony in the office who understands field work."

"That's actually a fair point. It's another odd thing. When my mind's on the food, culture and sights, it's all too easy to forget the Dazzling Midnights, ancient undead Anugypt princesess and Bar...umm...other things." Static said, still not knowing that it was safe now to talk about Baromets. "Of course it works the other way too."

Static shrugged. "I guess I can see why a pony would want a desk job after seeing the dark side of the job for too long. But if I told you about the life I used to have in Manehatten...believe me, field work can be a blessing! At least for a while."

"He continued to participate in the battle, despite it not being the priority. The hostages had priority over anything else, and every time I told him to go free them he ended up continuing to fight TAKE instead."

"Oh, I'll help with the carts!"

"A lot of stuff happened, Snowy! We got to eat dinner, and then we went to sleep, and then we woke up, and then we had breakfast, and..."

"The food was good, then." Snowy comments through the continued word avalanche. "When did the tornado show up?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"But did he give indication..." Brisk Iron paused for a moment and thought quietly. She then said, "What we need is peer mediation. Both sides in a neutral environment where they can air grievances. I know of a way to make this work, though it may wind up a little different than usual. Once this is done, I can determine the appropriate course of action is to finally resolve this."

"But you're not in Manehattan. I mean, has the same job been the same job as it was back there?"

"It...started out that way. Different faces. Better tech. But the basics were the same. I didn't realize just how badly corrupted the Manehatten branch was, how badly they were screwing the employees with their paychecks. That can affect a pony's outlook on life. And Stiff Feather was hardly better than Mr. Celluloid. At first...it kinda was the same...only I got to get out of Manehatten."

"That's not to say it's still the same, though. A pony's outlook on life can change how he views the work place dramatically. I mean, you can change the ponies a pony works with...you can change a lot of things...but after having a negative outlook for so long, sometimes something a bit more dramatic is needed."

"I think it's because of STOMP that I was actually able to take a step back and appreciate it all. STOMP wasn't just a simple change in location and atmosphere. It was a change in absolutely everything I was used to."

"And with the STOMP team, you, Ready Quill, Anchors, Dusty...*heh* even that uppity little breezie...well, my outlook's been a lot better than it used to be."

Spoiler

Scarlet worked very hard to hide his smile and his life under a cough and sorted out a good grip on a trolley.

So thats another Perfect description of a team member. :)

"So, is that limp from the bank robbery incident you mentioned, Night Cap?"

Scarlet ps curiosity was piqued.

"The security system? Sounds more like an ancient tombs booby trap than bank security. What was it like?"

"The food was good, then." Snowy comments through the continued word avalanche. "When did the tornado show up?"

"The tornado? Hmm..." Misty thinks for a moment. "I think it showed up right around the time that the robbery happened."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy blinks three times. "The robbery was at this vault, I assume."

Flairvoyant smiled at Static Signal's assessment of his current state. She paused to think for a moment before asking, "Static, what are your goals?"

"My goals?" Static asks, not quite sure where the question came from. "I...haven't really thought about it. I mean, the only real goal I've ever set for myself was to get out of Manehatten. Now that I've done that?" Static shrugged.

"I mean, I guess I have a dozen or so small goals: learn to swim, improve cooking skills, finish that Luna documentary."

"Long term: Well, my relationship with Anchors is still pretty new. There's a few different ways that could grow. I want help Skivey revise his menu, get him to the point where he's more competitive with those restaurants around him. And if that Luna documentary works out, I hope Night Cap and I can really make a name for ourselves. I don't know, today museum documentaries, tomorrow a multi-million bit summer blockbuster?"

Static smiles broadly until he really thinks about it. There was only so much of that he could achieve while still working at the Keep, especially that big named director thing. The Keep could give him documentary work, maybe help him have the opportunity to get that director's chair. But he couldn't do both. Eventually, he'd have to chose. And that wasn't a choice he was sure he could make. His work with STOMP was just too important.

"Well, that last one's probably more a wild dream than an actual life goal. Teachers always said not to let your reach outgrow your grasp." His smile slowly turns downward.

Scarlet cocked his head at Night Cap.

"Ok, i'll bite. How did you 'accidentally' set it off? I take it upyou were trying to get into the Vault."

"Even if it's a far off goal, it's good to have one. Just learn what you need to achieve it and..." "Stasi, is that you?" Sticking his head into the doorway was Skivey Dives. He didn't seem any cleaner than the last time Static Signal saw him but he did seem to be in a livelier mood.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
[Wow! Speak of the Tirek!]

"Skivey!"

[Something witty. Something witty. Something witty.]

"..."

[You're usually better at this.]

"How's business?"

[I was under the impression they try to keep things clean in a hospital. How'd you get in?]

[Is what you should've said!]

"It's great, things have really picked up. Really appreciate whatcha did for me." He stepped inside and set a piece of paper on the nightstand. "So much in fact, that I got a coupon for you. Adding something new to my menu and I'd like you to have it on the house--Skivey's Butter! What I do is take a stick of butter and cut it into thin slices. Then, I sprinkle each slice with brown sugar, dust it with flour, and put them in the freezer. After a while I pull 'em out, drizzle them with melted butter, roll 'em in flour, then! stick 'em back in the freezer. Then, I dunk the slices in melted butter, sprinkle them with sugar, add more flour, then deep fry them. Twice! I told ol' Semolina about the idea and she was left speechless!"

[Oh dear Luna, my arteries are hardening just listening to the description!]

[I think I've actually seen them do that at the Manehatten City Fair]

[But that's at the fair!]

Spoiler

"You know...I think that might actually have merit." [As much as it scares the living Tartarus out of me to say] "I'd probably put it on the desert menu though...the section we have with the disclaimer at the top?"

Scarlet blinked. Incredulous, he asked.

"You were trying to break in?!

I thought you said this happened during a bank robbery. Why were you trying to break in to the Vault?"

For a few seconds, Scarlet was left speechless as he tried to work out what was, and wasn't, saying. Since there had to be something more to this somewhere.

"Soooo, let me get this straight. There's a bank robbery in progress while the STOMP team are at the Petrichor bank. And you're getting injured while fighting the security system, and trying to break in to the Vault! seriously, why?

Please tell me you weren't the ones robbing the bank, right?"

Top Bottom