[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A spoon clinks in Snowy's bowl as he looks up from his completed meal. "Is there any more?"

"I'll pour another bowl for anypony else who wants it but just one. I'm glad you want more but you still need to travel back through the water to the surface."

"I'll take another bowl please."

Anchors Away prepared bowls for all who wanted more, then stepped into a side room. She came back with two small boxes. One was given to Misty Monsoon and the other to Maplejack. Each had a dull crystal necklace with a clear, circular medallion. "With what I've heard about the place, you may only want to wear these during the dinner itself. It's quartz so it's less expensive than it looks but at least it's something a little fancy."

"oh my gosh!" Maple's eyes got ginormous-er and she couldn't help but blush... it was so pretty, and no filly had ever given her jewels before.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody looks over to the necklaces. "Well they certainly are better then them going in with nothing. And them being inexpensive means, if they do somehow et stole in Crime City, replacement shouldn't be hard if we can't get them back."

"Wow, thank you so much, Anchors! They're really pretty!" She looks over at Maplejack. "We're going to match, isn't that great?"

"It's wonderful, though ...you're way too pretty for us to match." Maple's wings quickly cover her face. A deep crimson however can be seen peaking out from between her outstretched feathers.

"Pretty!"

Rhapsody looks over to the necklaces. "Well they certainly are better then them going in with nothing. And them being inexpensive means, if they do somehow et stole in Crime City, replacement shouldn't be hard if we can't get them back."

"Practical."

Sensing that it was getting about the time to leave, Static regarded Anchors.

"Thanks for having us over and for dinner. And...well...you know...once we get back...we should definitely find a time for you to come over to my place...for dinner I mean. I've been working on a few recipes...you know...if you want..."

[Sweet Luna! When are you ever going to stop fidgeting around her?]

Anchors Away nodded. "I'll be glad to help you with your cooking when you get back. All of you be safe out there."

After the group reached topside and waved goodbye to Anchors Away, Misty Monsoon heard a familiar voice. It was the mare from the coffee shop a few days ago, Resolving Door, carrying a few boxes. "Hey Misty, nice seeing you again! These your friends?"

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Oh, hi Resolving Door! You're still in town? Yeah, these are all my friends from the Equestrian Expedition Keep! We're about to go on a business trip ourselves!" Misty excitedly chatters.

"Great! Since you're here, I'd like to introduce you to my friends before you leave. They're just a few warehouses down if you've got a quick moment."

"That would be great! What do you think, everypony?" Misty asks her fellow employees.

Rhapsody looks over to the new mare, eyeing her a bit. "And what are you and your friends doing out at the docks at this time of night?" Rhapsody asks, being as trustful as she always is.

Resolving Door happily waggled the box on her back. "Making a delivery. And to my surprise, this got sent to the wrong warehouse. Thought it got lost so my boss is gonna be happy to see it."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static eyed this new mare, not suspiciously per se, but still with caution. He noted that even though the words seemed like they knew each other, the body language and tone sounded like they'd only met once or twice before.

Something about complete strangers asking other complete strangers to meet and great at a warehouse at night raised the hairs on his neck. He thought maybe he was just being paranoid until he noted Rhapsody was of similar mind.

"Sure!" he said in a friendly tone. "Always nice to make new friends."

Resolving Door trotted as she led Misty Monsoon and her friends to a pastel blue warehouse. Walking in she announced, "I'm back! Those tools you ordered got sent to the wrong warehouse. Oh, and I brought some guests!" "Guests at this hour? We still have more repairs to do. Though I guess I should humor you since if I don't you'll..." A goggled earth pony mare stuck her head out from around the corner. She paused as a realization seemed to cross her mind. She looked at Night Cap, then Amber Spark, then Rhapsody. And in turn, some of the STOMP team realized this was Splash Flaunt from the northern expedition. She swiftly bolted back around the corner. "Run!" Resolving Door seemed confused. "Run? Oh no no, I'd just be kinda disappointed."

Spoiler

Rhapsody blinks as she sees the familiar faces, she slams a hoof down. "STOP!" She commands firmly to the trio. "You clearly remember us, and what we can do. So don't make this hard on yourselves. To be completely honest, I've been waiting to see you three again." She says with a wide grin and then takes a deep breath. "I don't know why you three are really here, and I really hope it doesn't have anything to do with COIN, or I'm gonna feel rather stupid at the end of this... but... I want to tell you three I am s! orry for how I treated you back then, things were tense and so was I. So, as long as you set don't mean us harm, and aren't actively against us... Maybe this time we actually can talk... Peacefully."

Spoiler

MG]Splash Flaunt very cautiously poked her head back around the corner. "We aren't with COIN anymore. Apology accepted and likewise apology given. What exactly is your proposal?"

Misty seems confused. "I guess you already know each other?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"They're clearly rather special ponies, if they can make Rhapsody apologize." Snowy murmurs. In a more audible tone of voice, he asks. "Where do you know these ponies from?"

Splash Flaunt very cautiously poked her head back around the corner. "We aren't with COIN anymore. Apology accepted and likewise apology given. What exactly is your proposal?"

Misty seems confused. "I guess you already know each other?"

"You guys come out of hiding, and we talk. Simply, peacefully. You're friend here." She says nodding to Door. "Seems to be an acquaintance of Misty, and wanted to introduce her and her friends, us, to you. You were willing to help us back then, and had things not been so... extreme... we probably would have accepted it. So maybe, you explain what you are doing here... and maybe if its nothing illegal... we can maybe see if we can assist you?" She states to the trio before looking to Misty and Snowy.

"We met these guys on our first expedition, One of which was near lethally frozen, and the other two tried to kill us. After the fight, they offered to help us... even offering healing abilities to us. Of course, them being part of COIN and us trying to prevent an everlasting winter because of their bosses, meant I was less then pleasent with them and didn't want anything to do with them, nor did I want to waste time arguing on if they could be trusted or not at such a critical moment. Any other time I would have at least heard them out. After everythign was done and everyone calmed down, I regretted how badly I treated them.. even if the reasoning was sound. They're not bad ponies, and could have been useful allies had things gone differently.

Static looks confused at first and then looks to Misty.

"Yeeeeeah, safe assumption I'd say." He then looks to Rhapsody. "Northern Expedition?" He figured it was a safe guess since, to his knowledge, that was the only expedition this particular team had been on before he'd joined up. He was a bit surprised, though honestly heartened to see Rhapsody show a bit of compassion and offering these ponies a bit of redemption.

Caldwin:
He returns his attention to Snowie Skies. Something Snowies words made Static wonder if it was possible he was in an even worse position than he was. He gave Snowie an encouraging nudge. "Hey, let's just try again tomorrow. Who knows, as long as we're here, we still have a shot at forgiveness, right?"

Static half grinned as the memory flitted through his head. Yeah, that would be a lesson he'd have to make sure to never forget.

Snowy shrugs. "If that's all you did to them and they still wanted to run from you, they're probably doing something illegal. But if they've got someone like this working with them, they're probably not hurting anyone." He says, pointing his horn towards Resolving Door. "COIN let's people leave?"

"I... was there."
"Playing in the snow." She replies hushly. No, she's not gonna let that go.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"COIN doesn't know we're alive. Resolving saved our lives, though I guess we also have you ponies to thank. Without the wand being stopped, she would have never been able to get us out." Splash Flaunt nodded for the others to step out into the open. "The legality of our situation is probably questionable. Right now, we're doing repairs though there's probably a few thefts in the past that don't put us in the best position. And a few purchases. Still, I just hope to lay low for now! . I've almost managed to achieve total self sustainability. I'm also assuming you dealt with Pound Sterling...something that probably did COIN an inadvertent favor."

Snowy shrugs. "If that's all you did to them and they still wanted to run from you, they're probably doing something illegal. But if they've got someone like this working with them, they're probably not hurting anyone." He says, pointing his horn towards Resolving Door. "COIN lets ponies leave? Do they offer severance?"

"Probably sever their head from their neck if they ever found them," Static muttered.

"I... was there."

"I... was there."

"Playing in the snow." She replies hushly. No, she's not gonna let that go.

Static ignores the jibe. He figured there must be more to it than that. But for one thing, Night Cap can fight his own battles. For another, he was more worried about what trouble these AWOL COIN members might be in...not from the law mind...but from there previous employers.

"Are you two in danger from COIN if they were to ever find you're alive?"

Amber had scarcely reacted to Splash Flaunt's presence and would have been happy to see Bottle Wary, but as soon as she caught sight of Absent Shadow, Amber found herself digging out her notebook and looking as preoccupied as she could manage.

"In theory, Resolving isn't since this is a special case. I'm the only one directly hired by COIN and the others are considered part of my team. I've made a point of never telling them about Resolving and she never physically goes on missions with us. Outside of that, I think it depends entirely on who we encounter. Some would probably think we're more used to them alive and would try to bring us back while others would make sure we can never come back. There's conflict within COIN and a lot of unknown names."

"Yes, though we know a few. One in particular is Dazzling Midnight. She tried to Recruit Static here. He's still has yet to get over it." She says with a faint grin. "Though you've still not actually said what it is you are doing here."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"In theory..." Static echoes. "I'm not sure if it were my life on the line, I'd be okay with...'in theory'. In theory anyone you've ever brought into an operation could be at risk...depending entirely on who you encounter of course."

Static snorts, shakes his head and finds a place out of the way to sit down. "Un-bucking believable!"

"Nice ponies in Coin...? Where have I heard that question brought up before?"
Maple said... finally bringing her wings down from off her face.
"Would any of you care for some Crystal Rock Candy?" Maple asks, clearly crossing the invisible line in the room from the us to them side.

Bottle Wary shuddered when Dazzling Midnight was mentioned. "She's pretty but something ain't right about that mare." "At the moment, we're doing repairs. It's not what I want but it's honest work that nopony asks questions about. I have an island but I'm trying to build up resources before we permanently move to it. I even bought a trebuchet for defenses but it seems that got apprehended by the police in transit." Splash Flaunt looked at Static Signal. "While theory isn't as scientific as fact, it's all I have to go on. I've been very careful to not mention Resolving and only use her services in times where it's only my own team. It helps that I actually was hired for my role as a marine biologist so most of my assignments are at distant islands or open ocean. I get good enough results that they don't ask questions. Plus, with fewer and fewer new recruits being scientific professionals, I've noticed that they've been more cautious with the assignments some ponies are sent on. Losing so many new recruits to the northern expedition has to have really thrown off their plans."

Bottle Wary smiled and took some of the candy Maplejack offered. "Don't mind if I do, little ma'am."

"The Trebuchet is my fault. The movers you hired, were bumbling, and made a big mess outside my house. They were sketchy about it, when I asked. So I felt it wasn't going to be used for anyone's best intentions, and that is why it's in police Custody." Rhapsody states as she walks forward to Splash. "They told me about a warehouse, but when I arrived it was empty. I'm guessing that you ran from me, thinking I was going to hurt you. If I'd not been rudely awoken, I probably would have found more subtle way to enter, and maybe we would have had this talk days ago. Maybe yo! u'd still have gotten your Trebuchet. The only thing I found were some files... and business cards with a Tulip on them;" She adds, being a bit more hush about this. "Whose devices seem to have caused a bit of trouble lately. Now, I am not yet going to doubt your intentions, nor think you are lying to us... I want to believe that you are good ponies at heart, even if you don't always do good things. So, I ask this: What do you know of 'Tulip'? The more helpful you are, then maybe I can see about getting you your trebuchet back, as a sign of good faith between us."

Bottle Wary shuddered when Dazzling Midnight was mentioned. "She's pretty but something ain't right about that mare."
"Well, it seems to be unanimous then!" Static said.

Splash Flaunt looked at Static Signal. "While theory isn't as scientific as fact, it's all I have to go on. I've been very careful to not mention Resolving and only use her services in times where it's only my own team. It helps that I actually was hired for my role as a marine biologist so most of my assignments are at distant islands or open ocean. I get good enough results that they don't ask questions. Plus, with fewer and fewer new recruits being scientific professionals, I've noticed that they've been more cautious with the assignments some ponies are sent on. Losing so many new recruits to the northern expedition has to have really thrown off their plans."

"Fair enough...so long as she knew the risks coming into it." Static's face darkens a bit. "Because...in no uncertain terms...I'm putting her safety on your head." His face then lightens up significantly. "Still, you seem a decent enough pony who's trying to stay decent. Prove me right, next time we see eachother, we could be best buddies."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Splash Flaunt nodded in response to Static Signal, then replied to Rhapsody with, "Make no mistake, I know full well that Tipsy Tulip is a criminal. She's a mad inventor with little concern for those who might be affected by her products. However, perhaps the best thing with dealing with her is that she has no side. She doesn't work for COIN and keeps client deals confidential. She has a network of middlemares she works with and apparently moves often, thus the police haven't been able to find her. Considering the connection to Tipsy Tulip, it's probably best the trebuchet stay in police possession."

Rhapsody nods. "That is good to know, and will likely be helpful for the future as it seems likely we are gonna have to deal with her at some point. Now then, if you lot are really wanting to be legit... I suggest allying with The Keep. They do work for hires, so you don't have to feel tied to them completely; but it'd help make use of your talents in positive ways, maybe even help with your island and keeping it safe. Who you used to work for won't matter, so long as you're honest about not being connected to them and wanting to do things better. We have a few employees that have... clouded pasts, but have found new lease! s on life thanks to the help provided. If you can, speak with Steel Flint," She was gonna suggest Miss Irons, but as she'll be away its better to suggest someone that will be here. "and tell her that Rhapsody referred you. That should make sure anything you say, is kept private."

Splash Flaunt hung her head. "I can't. Being fired from the Keep is how COIN found me."

"Which Branch?"

"This one. Caballuston used to be my home."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody frowns a bit. "So, what were you fired for?"

Static haves. Appreciative look to Raphsody at the mention of the Keep being a place of redemption and giving a specific way to turn Splashes life around, though he puzzled over having already been fired once.

"Depending on the severity of what you were fired for," he put in cautiously, "maybe you can make yourself valuable...somepony the Keep can't pass up. That kinda depends on how deep you were into COIN and how much your willing to tell.

Splash Flaunt sighed. "I was expedition lead for some of the Keep's special expeditions. One day we were exploring a coral reef and I saw the artifact we were looking for deep within the coral colony. Eager and foolish I used a crystal that was essentially underwater dynamite to set a charge to blast it open. Unfortunately, one of the younger team members found a way around but they didn't know I set the charge because I never told them. She managed to spot it and get clear of the heart of the blast but still wound up in the hospital for quite a while.
Brisk Iron was furious that I recklessly put the team in danger. And I couldn't even disagree with her. I was too eager to please since I grew up in awe of the museum and Brisk Iron was my hero. So the thing that hurt the most was hearing the words 'I'm ashamed of you' from the one I looked up to as her final words after being fired. COIN...more or less gave me what I lost. I had funds to complete some expeditions I only dreamed of getting to do. I just couldn't publish any of my findings so it often feels for naught."

cleardot.gif

Rhapsody huffs and rubs her brow slightly at the explanation. "Brisk can certainly be... harsh. It's not always easy to work with her. I think just about all of this team's... stronger personalities have butted heads with at least once on how to handle things. But I've seen some of what you all can do. I'm honestly tempted to go off now and try to speak with her about you." She says closing her eyes and taking a deep breathe going over her thoughts "Make no mistake: You hurt a teammate, even I'd call you out on that... If I'd been there, I'd likely have ripped you a new ! one about the importance of communication. Everypony here knows how rough I can be. However It was a mistake, and it sounds you learned from it. There isn't a pony on my team that hasn't made some kind of mistake, but we've gotten stronger for them. I'm not sure firing was the right option, not if it was a first offense. Demoted from team leader, or even removed from expedition team, until you either showed you learned from it or proved you were too risky to stay on. Firing you was her mistake, it made our enemies stronger. I feel a discussion with her could make her see that, as well as your continued value to the Keep. I'd still suggest work-for-hire to start with. Its at the bottom, but in the right cases it can still be important, and you can prove yourself to her. That's the big thing. You made a mistake, you've had your penance. It's time to redeem yourself, not just to you, or us, but to Brisk Iron."

"I would rather speak to her myself instead of have somepony else do that on my behalf. It's just that...confronting Brisk Iron about my actions terrifies me more than Dazzling Midnight ever could."

Absent Shadow cleared her throat and said, "I'd rather not interrupt since what happens in all of this is important to me too but I've been trying to figure out which of you swiped one of my jars during the northern expedition and I just can't tell."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
[Night Cap]
"It wasn't me."​

Static raised an eyebrow at Night Cap. "I believe you and all...but the fact that as a reflex, you feel like you have to to make that assertion is...disconcerting."

"I would rather speak to her myself instead of have somepony else do that on my behalf. It's just that...confronting Brisk Iron about my actions terrifies me more than Dazzling Midnight ever could."

Absent Shadow cleared her throat and said, "I'd rather not interrupt since what happens in all of this is important to me too but I've been trying to figure out which of you swiped one of my jars during the northern expedition and I just can't tell."

"Its your decision, but I feel that someone opening a channel of communication between you first might be a good idea." Rhapsody states and looks over to Absent. "I'm not sure it matters who took it, right now it is in Keep Custody. You lot having been COIN agents, we felt learning what it was you had on you would help in future encounters. Though if it helps, I do have a sample of it."

"Indeed. That hardly seems relevant now, but I should thank you for your unexpected cooperation," said Amber, still avoiding eye contact. "Mr. Wary, very nice to see you again. I can't help but agree with your assessment of Ms. Midnight," Amber said. "She and Silent Belle,"Amber added, suddenly uncertain which of them to think responsible for how she'd found herself at the police station.

Absent Shadow smirked, "Aha, but if it were for security and safety reasons, shouldn't the whole belt have been taken instead of just one jar? You took the rock climbing claws, after all." Splash Flaunt shook her head and glanced over at Rhapsody. "She's...fairly annoying when she has a point, isn't she?" "Splash, I figure it'd be best if you speak with this Iron mare right now. You've recited reports to us using all sorts of big words so I know you want this. There's no better time than now with all of us here. You even said you know where she lives." "I...I...

I guess I have to at this point of things. But only if all of you will go with me."

"Now? As in...right now right now? That...may be a problem. Ms. Iron's away for at least a couple days. I gather that's why Rhapsody suggested Steel Flint originally. But I'm sure we'd be happy to be with you...whether that's with Ms. Flint tonight or Ms. Iron when she gets back."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Safety and security was part of not taking the whole belt; and Time was of the essence. We didn't know if the liquid is what had froze you specifically or just the liquid being frozen by the wand's powers. Either way It was too risky to try and safely secure the whole belt full of unknown and potentially dangerous liquids. If they were to have broken and frozen us or worse, things would be very different now. Taking one meant that we could at least analyze one of them, and have only one breakable object to worry about." Rhapsody replies without missing a beat. "So yes, ! it would have been ideal to take it all, and some of the team wanted to, but we had to prioritize getting to the wand above all else."

She nods as Static speaks up then turns to look over to Splash. "Yes, Brisk will be leaving soon for a mission of her own, I am not sure if she's left yet, but it is why I suggested Steel Flint first off. There is always a chance we could catch her before she leaves. If you require us to go along with your team, I will."

"The director's not leaving until tomorrow, and she tends to work long nights. Early-morning ferry or not, she'll probably still be in her office." Snowy puts in. His instinct was not to let Splash Flaunt have too much time to talk themselves out of it. "When you say all, you don't mean us, do you? Her office gets awfully cramped."

Amber rolled her eyes and finally looked at Absent Shadow. "I'll endeavor to be more thorough in the future," she said. "And if we're trading professional advice now, I'll suggest you take more care in your handling of highly reactive alchemical agents."

Static stood stunned as he looked sideways to Amber, slowly turning to meet her face to face. "Amber? Heh! Would never have suspected...heh!"

Rhapsody huffs softly as Amber reveals herself. "Yes, Amber can be quite the little klepto when it comes to scientific curiosity..."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Absent Shadow rolled her eyes in response to Amber Spark. "Well, from one professional treasure hunter to another..." "Not now Absent, I'm tense enough as it is. A point has been made about Brisk Iron's late hours so let's go. Everyone. I'm probably the only one needed in the office itself but I need the reassurance to get there."

[Oh, I'll make sure you get in that office if I have to ram my hoof right up...]

[Dang! You're running rather hot and cold with this one, aren't you?]

[I think she owes it to her group.]

[Be...nice! Sweet Luna, you're going to be the death of me!]

"We'll get you there," Static said reassuringly.

Amber scowled down her muzzle at Absent Shadow's retort but said nothing.

"Amber, darling, play nice with the other ponies." Rhapsody says given her marefriend a gentle smile.

Misty was quiet while the senior team members had their discussion with Resolving Door's friends. Seeing the conversation winding up, she took the opportunity to ask Absent Shadow the question that had been burning in her mind the past few moments.

"Oh, what do you keep in your jars? ... Do you make jam?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"They're honey from ancient tombs. Each seems to be from a different magical flower since they have a variety of effects. But I guess we should be going." The team walked from the docks back to the museum. Splash Flaunt paused hesitantly in front of Brisk Iron's office door.

If Snowy wasn't going to give her hours, he certainly wasn't going to give her minutes. The door abruptly emanated a peculiar knock, twice quickly then twice slowly.

Static moved around Splash Flaunt and (since I actually noticed getting ninja'd before posting for once) was about to knock when he heard the rhythmic knocking on the door while seeing no fist hitting the wood. He lowered his hand and got back into place behind Splash Flaunt and nodded at Snowy.

Snowy winks at Static in a rare moment of levity. While he imagined it would be quite strange for Brisk Iron to open the door and see an old protege surrounded by her new team, he really wanted to see her reaction to it, and as such was loathe to move out of the way. It was probably going to set the tone for their journey the next day.

Brisk Iron opened her office door and looked over the group until her eyes stopped on Splash Flaunt. There was a moment of silence where Splash Flaunt started to back away but her friends stopped her.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static leaned over to 'whisper' to Splash Flaunt...though he's sure everyone around could hear. "This is where you start talking."

Maple waved a wing at Brisk Iron!

Misty glances over at Resolving Door. "I get nervous around the Chief Director too," she whispers.

Rhapsody looks to Brisk Iron. "Ma'am, I know that it is late. But there need to be some discourse between you and Splash. She wishes to fight her own battles, so I'm not going to say too much here; but this is the second time we've ran into her. This time under better circumstances, and I believe she and her team can be useful if given another a chance. Afterall, many on the current team has gotten second chances from you, why not her?." The black pegasus states, as she commented previously she was helping to open channels between the two, before stepping aside and ushering Splash to step forward and say her peace.

Splash Flaunt was trembling but eventually spoke up. "Chief Director, ma'am, I'm here to speak with you about matters of employment. I know I was fired previously and there's things I've done that I'm not proud of but I feel I have services and research that would be of use to the Equestrian Expedition Keep if I was brought on but I can understand if circumstances deem me as unfit for future employment but even if so I just want to say I'm sorry." "Splash Flaunt, step forward." Splash Flaunt nervously stepped forward as directed. There was a brief pause until Brisk Iron sighed and pulled Splash Flaunt into a hug with her forelegs and wings. Splash Flaunt broke out in tears. "Reading the mission reports that said you were in COIN made me feel I was justified in your original firing. However, I now see you joined them out of desperation instead of malevolence. I apologize. I will allow your rehire under a probationary period. I and some others will be on a philanthropic mission tomorrow and you will accompany us. Your friends may speak with Steel Flint in the morning if they'd also like jobs with the Keep.

Welcome home."

"T-thank you, ma'am."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static edges his way towards Maple. "I'm sure they aren't all bad," he says in a sing song voice. "Any pony can be a friend if you try hard enough."

Static sighs deeply, returning to his normal, if sullen, voice. "You were right. I was wrong."

Static edges his way towards Maple. "I'm sure they aren't all bad," he says in a sing song voice. "Any pony can be a friend if you try hard enough."

Static sighs deeply, returning to his normal, if sullen, voice. "You were right. I was wrong."

Rhapsody looks over to the pair. "Exceptions do not prove the rule."

"No, but they do cast doubt as to which is which." Maple put her wing down and shrugged at Rhapsody. At least she was starting to be more positive about ponies

Snowy smiles silently in the background. There was something uniquely sympathetic about Splash Flaunt, and he was glad she would be coming with them the next day. Wet or Dry Biology, there was plenty to see in the swamp. Though he'd have to warn her off picking samples...
"It does seem as though it's worth giving them a chance to redeem themselves, though." He remarks quietly. He was screening their discussion from the doorway, not wanting to break the tranquility of the moment for the two ponies involved.

"Anypony can be a friend with the right leverage," Amber commented to herself, shaking her head and wondering if she'd spent too much time around Mr. Skies lately.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Pulleys helped too.." Maple giggles at her own joke.

"No, but they do cast doubt as to which is which." Maple put her wing down and shrugged at Rhapsody. At least she was starting to be more positive about ponies

Rhapsody shakes her head a bit. "It changes nothing. If a pony comes at you with weapon drawn, they should be treated as the enemy. Once they are subdued, then maybe one can see about peace. It is the way of the world, sometimes the only words another will understand are your hooves. While this is a happy ending and I am glad to see Splash and her team getting a chance at doing good; it likely wouldn't have come about if we hadn't have fought in the first place."

"or it could have happened sooner... Maple gives Rhapsody a big hug ... sometimes matches happen with two faces, there isn't always a heel."

Static shrugs. "Someone comes at me with a weapon drawn, they won't always have the chance for peace later. But in this case, we just saw someone neck deep in COIN come around to being redeemed. That's...not something I thought I'd see when I woke up this morning."

Rhapsody hehs and smiles at the hug. "It still changes nothing. You'd still have to fight them as even Faces can't just talk everything out, that'd just be a boring match then." She replies with a warm chuckle and then looks over to Static.

"I'm not sure if I'd call Splash and her crew being neck deep, they were never that loyal in the first place. They offered to help us get the wand after we beat them; I just couldn't risk them being honest when the fate of the world was on the line. I told you I was more harsh on that mission then I am now, they were part of that harshness. For weeks now I've been hoping we'd cross them again, just so I could give them the chance they deserved now that tensions are much lower."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
[There was a time when Rhapsody was...more...harsh?]

[Yeah! Amazing how quickly a pony can make a turn around, eh, you boozy potty mouth?]

Static nods. "I got some highlights skimming Night Caps report of the expedition. I'm sorry, Night...but if I'm ever going to learn more of that expedition, I'm going to need and extremely...abridged...version of that. I like to think I have a decent attention span...but...dang!"

"Anyway, point being, I'm vague on some of the specifics. Maybe one of you can tell me the story some time."

[Night Cap]
[Something about that being the abridged version]​

*twitch*
[...]
*twitch*
[...]
*twitch*
[...]

"LUCKY!! You got to read a report by Mr. Night Cap! ... I bet it was better than a Daring Do book."

"Come by the projection booth sometime. I'll let you read it for yourself."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Tomorrow is going to be a long day for all of us so it's best we get prepared."

The next day, the STOMP team met up at the museum to receive their supplies and tickets before heading to the train station. There they found that they had a whole train car to themselves. Meanwhile, Brisk Iron led Snowy Skies, Splash Flaunt, and Ready Quill to the air ferry service as they got ready for departure.

At the morning meet up Rhapsody walks over to Snowy for a brief talk, using her audiomancy skills so only he can hear her.

Spoiler

---

On the Train Rhapsody takes a seat next to Amber. "I'm still not really looking forward to this."

Misty, on the other hand, has her face glued to the window the moment she sits down. "I've never been on a train before! This will be awesome!"

Static sits on whatever seat was most convenient to get to. "Another day another mission." As he sits, his mind wanders briefly.

I'm alive, Static said simply, how can I not laugh?

"I remember that feeling. Enjoy it while it lasts. After a few times you'll just get used to it."
He didn't believe Night Cap at the time. After all, who could possibly get used to something like this? Risking their lives, saving the world...how does a pony get used to it.

But then...there he was! He was used to it. And it didn't take that long either. After all, how long's it been? Barely a month...if that?

He was on a train, heading into a seedy town full of danger from every shadow...and all he could think of was maybe catching a few winks before they arrived.

"Ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
At the morning meet up Rhapsody walks over to Snowy for a brief talk, using her audiomancy skills so only he can hear her.

Spoiler

Spoiler

---

In the bustling airship hub, a small conversation between two ponies could easily go missing, with the right twist of magic. "So did COIN ever send you to Nightmare Heights?" Snowy asks Splash Flaunt, speaking at normal volume.

"Ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on."

"...Really?" Misty suddenly looks concerned.

Amber nodded to Rhapsody. "I'm not certain yet what to expect, but we'll have to be very careful," said Amber.

"I believe Static is speaking metaphorically, Ms. Monsoon," she said.

Splash Flaunt shook her head. "They never sent me there. However, I have been there once as a filly so I can see why Brisk Iron might be assisting a town like that. Why do you ask?"

Static opens one eye then the other, letting himself focus on Misty. "Don't mind me. I was just kinda in my own little world there for a moment. It's just something my mother used to tell me. Sometimes in life, once you've started down a path, you have to see it through." He looks around at his comrades.

"I still can't believe what twist of fate brought me here," he said, remembering that night he saved somepony he didn't even know...had no reason to think the incident would reach the ears of Ms. Iron and earn him a place on the STOMP team. "Funny how one little incident can change your entire life."

He shrugged, realizing the others probably had no clue what in Equestria he was talking about. "Sorry...like I said, I was just in my own little world there for a moment."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Looks over to Amber. "I've never been there, but everything I hear and everything I learn about the place... even my encounter with the Mauve Four-Minus-Two, gives me a strong sense of foreboding... I'm very much convinced the mayor is some kind of kingpin of a criminal empire. You don't just... get rid of crime, like that. Either she's extremely naive, or she controlling it. I don't like that it takes all of us to get this artifact. It just screams 'trap'. Which if it is, raises some big questions... none of which are very good. Like how would she even know of STOMP, or that we're it?"

She sighs shakes her had a bit and leans back. "Butterfly effect, Static. You've heard of that right? 'The flapping of a butterfly's wings can cause a hurricane half-way across Equestria.' Its basically means that the small events are what lead to life changing events, though you'd never suspect it at the time."

Misty thinks for a moment. "Then, maybe a butterfly..." she mumbles to herself.

"...Nah."

"Heard of it. I'd never seen it in play before."

"As far as what to expect, if it is a trap, it's probably all the better Snowy's on the outside of it. Still, it wouldn't be the first time we've gone into a trap with our eyes wide open. Sounds like you're working on a plan."

Splash Flaunt shook her head in response to Snowy Skies. "They never sent me there. However, I have been there once as a filly so I can see why Brisk Iron might be assisting a town like that. Why do you ask?"

"Partly because you're a small window into COIN's operations, and I'm curious to see if you know something useful and haven't realized it." Snowy shrugs and grins. "Partly because I only know half of what we're doing here, and I was wondering if you might know the other half. And partly because you seem like good conversation."

Static looks over at Night Cap. "Something the matter, Night?"

Top Bottom