[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As the STOMP team entered Victory Squash's locker room, the Changeling Champion suddenly became alert. "You ponies seek to foil my plans?!? I'll have you know that the Changeling Champion..." The security guard exited and as the door was closed, the Changeling Champion relaxed. "I wish I'd known you and your friends were going to be here tonight, Night Cap. It's not a princess sized stack of pancakes but still pretty nice."

Static perked up. He looked from the Changeling Champion to Night Cap and back again. "Yeahbuhwhat?"

The Changeling Champion removed her mask to reveal that underneath was Pendulumnae. "Hey Static. Nice to know the mask works."

Somewhere underneath her mane Misty blinks, not really believing her eyes and ears. "P- P- P- Pendulumnae!?"

"teheheheh" Maple tittered at the back of the group.

Pendulumnae looked at the STOMP team while not quite making eye contact with Maplejack. "I was worried that the slap was a bit much but I had to make sure the Masked Mystery Mare was ready in case a more unsavory heel was a little rough. Hope she can forgive me but I'm certainly impressed with her."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"It wouldn't have bothered me, between the bells...is between the bells. Speaking of her, have you seen her -since the match I mean? I need to get my outfit back so I can put a little more length in the legs, She's actually a little taller then me."

Maple's wing moved up with a feather angled at a point a centimeter above her head.

Pendulumnae smiled at Maplejack. "I'll let her know if I see her. Oh, I've been hogging all your time when I'm sure you're here for the big champ." "I hope everypony enjoyed the match. A little bummed out they didn't schedule a bigger gap of time between Pen's matches. Sure, you sometimes have to wrestle multiple times in a night but...[broken italics tag]" "I could have told them no but I didn't. You won fair and square so relax. Perhaps everypony should introduce themselves."

Misty was still having trouble believing it. She had heard Rhapsody's explanation about wrestlers having different personas inside and outside of the ring, of course, but in her mind she still pictured the Changeling Champion being an unsavory type even in her day job, possibly as a member of the Keep's accounting department. To think that all along she was a nice, friendly pony that Misty had met in person... had even trained alongside at the gym...

Rhapsody chuckles softly "It's certainly interesting seeing you in the ring for once." She says and steps forward. "Most of our friends here are very new to the world of wrestling, and it was very interesting trying to explain elements like how you might not be so bad out of the ring, while keeping quiet I'm familiar with you."

For Amber, the trip into "backstage" was as alien and and new as any of the archeological sites the STOMP team had visited, but the others seemed to take it in stride with an easy familiarity. Now it seemed that everypony was familiar with the Changeling Champion - Pendulumnae - who was as usual friends with Night Cap. Was there anypony he didn't know?

"I was very impressed with your work as well Ms. Pendulumnae" Amber squawked, before ducking behind Rhapsody with just enough control as not to have bolted.

Rhapsody smiles and giggled as she noticed Amber ducks behind her. "Pen here works as Sky Lynx's gym... part time at least. She was there the night I took some of the team to training, which is why she knows several of us. I've been training at the Gym for years, so I'm used to seeing her around and training with her on occasion, but I don't want to speak for her." She claims and hugs Amber gently. "Maybe next time we do team practice you might get a chance to train with her personally... if she's available." The black pegasus says with a smile.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"PENDULUMNAE! What the...how the..." *cough* *ahem* "I mean...yeah...knew it the whole time.* *nods and smiles*

"I hope everypony enjoyed the match. A little bummed out they didn't schedule a bigger gap of time between Pen's matches. Sure, you sometimes have to wrestle multiple times in a night but..." "I could have told them no but I didn't. You won fair and square so relax. Perhaps everypony should introduce themselves."
"Umm...yeah...Static. I'm...Static. And yeah...even being having had two matches in one that, that was pretty amazing. Congratulations on the win."

Maple put her wing down, stretching it out to full span all of a sudden was a bit strenuous after ... sitting so long in the stands with them tucked in so close so as not to bother the ponies next to her. "Mr. Hide, you wanted to get autographed right?" Maple says, quietly while every pony was making their introductions

Static facehoofs at Maples words. "I didn't even think to bring something to autograph."

Static raised an eyebrow at Night Cap. "Your profession pretty much changes daily, doesn't it? Still, I guess it's nice to have choices." He turns to Victory Squash with a smile offering a hoof to shake. "Movie projectionist."

Pendulumnae addressed Amber Spark but in a voice so the whole room could hear. "Yeah, I'll certainly help you train if I'm there. It just comes down to getting down a good foundation of basics and figuring out your strengths. For instance, I'm not big on spellcasting. If you asked me to transform an apple into an apple, I'd have no clue what to do. However, I'm great at teleports, have excellent balance, and it's near impossible for me to get dizzy. When I was a filly, I used to get two merry go rounds spinning and teleport back and forth between th! em. What was hard growing up was pronouncing my own name. And my dad was always quick to point out 'that was your mother's idea'." "Heh. Squash Cutter comes from unloading carts quickly. Stuff gets tossed so you learned to react or get hit. Reflexes got so built up that I never need to see something coming at me." Melon Hide stepped forward with the platter in hoof. "I was hoping to get this autographed. The name's Melon Hide and I've been one of your biggest fans for the longest. Even when you started out and struggled to do well, you kept at it. 'Cornucopia of justice' was a stroke of genius for getting the crowd on your side." "Aw shucks, we all gotta start somewhere. I just decided not to give up at it." Victory Squash signed the platter, then passed it to Pendulumnae who added a 'vs Changeling Champion' next to his autograph.

Spoiler

Amber returned Rhapsody's hug and nodded, then looked up as Pendulumnae addressed her. Amber's eyes widened as Pendulumnae spoke. Somepony spontaneously proposing to train her in the tactical application of teleportation was unexpected enough, but from Pendulumnae....

"I'd appreciate that very much, ma'am," said Amber. "I mean to say, I would be honored - thank you, ma'am," Amber said, still speaking a bit quickly and nearly stuttering. "Yes, ma'am," she said, finally, in response to nothing in particular, and quickly returned to her frequent pastime of searching for an interesting patch of wall.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"My thing is that I can take a punch and keep coming. But that looks like it may be a problem in wrestling.

"I'm used to punching and kicking. Wrestling looks more like deflecting, grabbing and pulling down. It's like a completely different tool set."

Rhapsody giggles fondly at her mare friend's shy eagerness, before looking over to Static. "A tool set you might need in the future. Not every problem can be solved by punching it Static."

"True," Static conceded. "The more tool sets you got the better. I can't wait to meet this Sky Lynx."

Maple Sauntered up to Static and put a foreleg up across his back. (lifting off the ground slightly to do so.)
"Sometimes a hoof to the eye is all that works in a pinch, especially if you're up against somebody much bigger and strong than you. ... It just isn't a very 'face' thing to do, but sometimes the crowd will forgive you if they like you enough." Maple gave Static a sly wink, hoping he would understand she was talking about the swamp... While it was good that he was softening up a little, she didn't want him to be overly self-conscious about his actions on their next field mission. That could be dangerous too.

Letting goo of Static, Maple moved over to her two fellow wrestlers and gave them each a quick hug.
"Thank you for the wonderful match Pendulumnae...It was very exciting to watch." Maple said, Adjusting her volume mid sentence. as she broke from the hug to move to Victory Squash. "And Thank you for the fabulous welcome Mr. Squash, it's a personal honor to be on your side against these evil hooligans" Maple said with a chuckle and a nod of the head toward Pendulumnae.

Static was touched by Maple's words. She was always there for the others. He grinned as he looked to see if anyone was watching. He sneaked something into Maples saddlebag when she was occupied.

Spoiler

Maple feels the weight shift in her pack, and moves her eye back slightly enough to see Static's hoof lowering back to the ground... not wanting to draw attention to it now, as it seems like everypony has finished up their conversations... it might be nice to let her fellow wrestlers have a chance to get cleaned up.

Static walked out of the room pleased. Yeah, he was slick.

He got her something that hopefully she ought to like. After all the gifts she's given out, it'll make her feel good that someone is also thinking of her.

And the best part, she'll never know who it was. After all, she's never seen his hoofwriting before.

[Has she?]

[No...no I don't think...I can't think of when she would've seen my hoofwriting before.]

[Are you sure?}

[...]

[Nah, she'll never know!]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*static crackle*
"Grr...I'm gonna prove to the world that your championship reign has been nothing but a fluke! When we face off LIVE at the Show Stable, 'one, two, three' will be all that you see!"

*static crackle*

Good evening folks! Hope you all enjoyed that stunning drama because now it's time for another exciting Saturday night with the Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour! This week we once again bring you to the riotous ramshackle of the Explorers of STOMP!

Previously, the Specialized Team for Obtaining Museum Pieces discovered that a down to earth friend engag! ed in high flying activities. Snowy Skies revealed surprising secrets and met with a prior acquaintance. Now the STOMP team waits in Brisk Iron's office as she has news for them. One her desk is a newspaper and a purple envelope. In the envelope is an invitation and the location of said invitation is none other than,

Petrichor Falls.

A city of fog and mystery.

A city that just may be the team's biggest challenge yet.

Brisk Iron continued with,
"I wish I could go with you to Petrichor Falls but I hope you keep your wits about you. Furthermore, Anchors Away won't be able to come with you since she'll have an offshore research project during that time." "I think I'm free so I could go in her place." Brisk Iron nodded to Flairvoyant. "That should work. I'll also have everypony know that Rhapsody, Night Cap, and Savant Sard were invited by name, though Sard won't be going with you."

"Petrichor Falls? We're going...to Petrichor Falls?" Static asked dubiously. "Everypony keep their wallets at home!" he muttered under his breath.

Although honestly, he looked forward to it. Rumors say it had been cleaned up quite a bit under Grape Vine's rule. Buuuuut, if they just so happened to get into a fight...things had gotten a little too peaceful since the conservation speech. He hoped his grin didn't show.

"So I guess this means we can't refuse then." Rhapsody replies. "I've really not got much interest in going to Crime City. It's not been 'cleaned up', from what I've observed when meeting with Muave Four minus two, its seem more... monopolized. I strongly believe that neither they or they're mayor is up to anything benefical to us."

"I've never heard of Patrick Ore Falls, is it a bad place?" Misty asks.

Static nodded at Rhapsody's assessment. "Cleaned up often just means the criminal element had to find ways to be sneakier...or buy higher up officials," he said. "Not that I'm implying anything...just speaking in generalities," he added quickly. He didn't want to be too quick to make accusations he couldn't back up, though he wouldn't be surprised in the least if Rhapsody's thoughts of 'monopolized' were right on the money.

Static turned to Misty as she spoke. "Well, there is a reason I suggested keeping your wallets at home. From what I hear, the gamblers and cheats have since gained a code of not welching on bets under the rule of Grape Vine. That doesn't make them any less gamblers and cheats. Grape Vine also makes a habit of personally vowing to return any property stolen from anypony. Still doesn't mean ponies get stolen from any less than they used to."

"You can white wash a guild a sewer...doesn't make it any less a sewer."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy frowns slightly, but holds his tongue as the rest of the team discuss the emergent properties of hives of scum and villainy. The situation was really a bit more complicated. Qualified Fugitive Assistance Programs were hard to come by, but deeply valued by those who used them. They were generally put in place by a ruler, be they mayor or emperor, who liked total control. On the surface, it led to almost excessively peaceful rule, because there were excessively harsh penalties against acting like a fugitive. But below that, you weren't supposed to act like a fugitive because you were now a Qualified Fugitive, allowed into the village specifically because of ! your skills. You now stole, or killed, or smuggled only at the request of the mayor, apparently currently named Grape Vine. In return, you were granted asylum and general peace, as long as you didn't disturb that peace and did what you were told.

So under any other circumstance, they might be able to wander into Petrichor Falls and have a generally pleasant time. But tonight they would almost undoubtedly be targets of Grape Vine, and by extension the entire city. So whether the rest of the group understood the local politics or not, explaining it to them wouldn't change the current conclusion: Everyone should be on their guard. If tonight went well (he did not expect it to), he might consider vacationing there in a few months. But for the moment, he saw no reason to divulge any of this to anyone.

He also thought it wise not to mention that he had a binder full of blank train tickets back in his apartment, and that he'd specially memorized the PETFLS abbreviation that would be inserted in the destination heading, should he ever need a hasty escape to a nearby asylum.

Their was one point of severe confusion, however. "Why are all eight of us attending? Our true position within the Keep is a secret. What purpose could sending two greeters, a projectionist, and an independent weather contractor to a charity dinner serve?"

"Ms. Iron, please forgive me if this sounds out of line, but there seems to be an elephant in the room."
Misty looks around in confusion. Where was it? How could she have missed it?

Brisk Iron shook her head. "Despite the secrecy surrounding STOMP, I would never accept such a thing. The Manehattan Keep was shutdown for skimming money from employee pay after all. No, it was stated that the donations will be coming from the Grape Family private collection, though it didn't say exactly what it would be. My worry is the timing for travel. Something happened recently that prevents me from wanting to send any ponies who aren't in STOMP."

Static nodded, relieved to be able to leave that line of questioning behind. "Well, in that case, if timing is a factor, I'm sure we're all ready when ever you need us to get under way."

"Just...one more thing, ma'am. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure you've been doing this since before I was in diapers. I'm sure you've got everything covered. It's just...since I've grown up in the rough side of Manehatten, I've been in more than a few fights. Of all the conflicts in my life, there's only two that I never want to meet again. One's Dazzling Midnight. But ten times Dazzling...the other is most definetly..."
He broke off, giving a look to Flairvoyent and any others in the room that probably shouldn't hear the name "Barometz." "Just...be careful where you're going."

"And what would that be Ms. Iron? If there is an incident that means you feel it needs to be us, we should know what that is, in case we need to be prepared for it ourselves."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy cursed silently as Static pointed out Barometz. How had he not realized that was her purpose immediately?! It had really been obvious, especially to him, given that he had submitted his report last night. He immediately wanted to go with her. Barometz was not something to be encountered alone. At the very least, one of them could treat the other's wounds. He also had to admit that he was curious to meet Barometz again. Something about him was distinctly familiar, and Snowy thought he might know what. This was probably his only chance to see the creature again. And yet...

He surreptitiously glanced around the room. All of them were walking into the premiere rogue's den of their era. As resident rogue, it was supposed to fall to him to make certain they were never caught unawares. He realized that he had unconsciously been reviewing old signs that a pony had picked you for a mark in his head: the shifting gait of somepony concealing a knife to cut a hole in your saddlebags, the special sort of once-over reserved for figuring out where ponies hid their jewelry...and their weapons. The only pony close to his knowledge of thievery (setting aside the fact that he probably knew a half-dozen of their freshest recruits personally...) was Static, and he was too bull-headed for this sort of job. Snowy liked Static, and certainly wanted him on his side in a fight, but fending off cut-purses (and more dangerous rogues) needed to be done quietly, and Snowy didn't think Static had a quiet bone in his body. They needed him. Brisk Iron didn't.

Did they really, though? Most of the team was more than sharp enough to blame the residents if an attempted robbery caused a scene. The locals were beholden to the rules, not them. And with Rhapsody in tow, it wasn't as though they needed lockpicks. He doubted they would need to enter a room quietly. They had all shown themselves to be excellent survivors, and making a quick escape was easier on cobblestone than it was in the wild. He'd have to impress on them that running was a valid option, whether he went with them or not.

The team, 7 ponies strong, was walking into a den of rogues and ruffians. Brisk Iron, all on her lonesome, was going to face some sort of god. AND she was Brisk Iron. Fundamentally Irreplaceable, but it wasn't as though she was invulnerable. She had only barely survived flying through a hurricane, awfully recently. Perhaps she did need him more.

He generally did not like to interrupt questions waiting for answers, but this once Snowy made an exception. He quietly cleared his throat. "Ma'am, I think I would like to sit this one out. Seven pairs of hooves should be plenty, and my horn won't be of much use in this situation. Maple's a far better public relations agent than I am. It's also possible I know a few ponies in Petrichor Falls. Specifically ponies that I never want to see again." As he let the statement hang in the air, he contemplated how much he still hated the idea of letting them walk into Petrichor Falls without him. Maybe there was some way he could send some of his tricks with them...

"Oh of course. I didn't mean to imply...I just...I worry."

[That damn plant is the scariest thing I never want to see again]

Maple, not wanting to get involved with the big pony discussion, (-not from disinterest... just she didn't have anything to add to it.) moved closer to Misty...
"Its okay Misty... I've only ever met one elephant that could turn invisible, and she couldn't have gotten in through the door... also I don't smell peanut butter." Maple whispered... before pantomiming an elephant walking.

Static raised an eyebrow as he looked back to see Maple's pantomiming.

[I swear I'm going to teach these ponies the meaning of the words 'idiom' and 'figure of speech' if it's the last thing I do!]

"Pffft-" Misty puts a hoof over her mouth to stop herself from giggling at Maple's elephant impersonation.

Rhapsody looks over to Night Cap. "No one here is nervous. Being cautious about entering a city ran by thieves is the right approach, not barging in like everything is fine." She replies, while she was concerned about what Brisk was planning to do, she was sure that she could take care of herself... of course Rhapsody wasn't eager to go back to the swamp... at least not with every fire spell known to pony kind... but its was exceedingly clear that the STOMP team would need her more between Night Cap, Maple, and Misty. Snowy sitting things out didn't help much either.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Brisk Iron then pulled out the business card of the tulip with dizzy stars circling it. "Furthermore, Snowy uncovered a name to finally go with this business card--Tipsy Tulip. She's some sort of inventor, though it's unknown if she'd directly part of COIN or TAKE or if she's wholly independent." Flairvoyant leaned over to Night Cap. "Me and Rhapsody will be able to handle leading the team but thanks for the offer. I'm sure the team will remember the offer if they're in a jam."

"I can help with that." Snowy says thoughtfully. "Even if I'm not coming with you, I think I can spell some objects up to replicate some of my tricks. I'll try some stuff today, and get it to all of you before you go." The gears in his head were already turning, sorting what he could and couldn't replicate.

"If you have something presentable to wear for the dinner, bringing that would be nice. Otherwise, some basic food supplies and coffee rations will be sent with you in case of. I'll need to get a different set of charm bracelets for notifying the group of emergency and you should bring a basic camera in case of photo opportunity. I have no idea if you'll be frisked and I can see many reasons why they would or wouldn't do that."

Misty fidgets a little. "Umm... I don't have a fancy suit... or any suit... or anything except my saddlebags, really... is that going to be a problem?"

"It shouldn't. Not all ponies wear suits after all. However, I can ask Dusty if she has anything that might fit you."

"I saw a Tailors shop on one of my walks around town... Does anypony know it's name?" Maple says, looking at Misty and then to the others...
"Don't have anything fancy either."

"Well, the only tailor's I've ever been to is 'The Linen Blast & Silk Dazzle Tailor Shop'. I...got a tie. I hope that's enough?" he asked Brisk Iron.

"Anyway, It's over on...on..." Static gave a perplexed look to Night Cap. "You know...a lot happened that night. I've completely forgotten where..." he gave another questioning look to Amber. "I mean, I could probably walk you there. I know exactly where it is. But the street address..."

Anchors Away spoke up.
"I might have some necklaces for Maple and Misty. In fact, I'd like to show all of you where I live after work."

Spoiler

Static perked at the mention of seeing where Anchors lived. It just occurred to him that he'd never seen where his marefriend lived...nor had she seen where he lived for that matter. Both issues should probably be addressed soonish.

"I'm game. It should only take me all of ten seconds to pack anyways."

After all, if the food and coffee rations along with his usual equipment were already taken care of, all he'd have to pack separately should be a tie and maybe a consumer grade camera like Ms. Iron suggested.

[So...visiting Anchors' home...are we going to need scuba gear?]

[Don't be an ass!]

[What? I thought it was a totally legitimate question.]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static squinted quizzically at Night Cap. "I thought that was supposed to wear off once you returned the suit after the ballet.

"Compulsion spells are known to persist longer than expected in...certain minds." Snowy suggests. Night Cap's brain was so fractured and reflective a spell could sit in there for weeks. Snowy had a variety of suggestions about suits for the other stallions in the room, but figured that too much information at once would be ignored. Besides, their time was rather limited. He had a lot of things to attempt before everyone got on that train...

"Too bad my sister Harmony isn't around, she could easily find something great for all of you."

"Compulsion spells are known to persist longer than expected in...certain minds." Snowy suggests.
[Must not laugh. Must not laugh. Must not laugh.]

Static grins.

[Dang it!]

"Too bad my sister Harmony isn't around, she could easily find something great for all of you."

Static still thought the very idea of ties and suits rather restrictive. If he could get by with just a tie, that was still more than he wanted to go through...especially for the likes of Petrichor Falls.

Still, it was the thought that counts and he gave Rhapsody a thankful smile.

"Oh yes, that was the name. Thank you both very much, I'll be sure to stop in on my way home. If Miss Spark shops there I'm sure they have the most wonderful dresses." Maple assumed Amber shopped there as well, otherwise why would Mr. Signal have looked to her a moment ago.

"I could maybe help you with that memory Mr. Night Cap... if it doesn't go away on its own soon." Maple said, shuffling a hoof on the floor absentmindedly, still not sure if she was comfortable with using her whammy eyes on her friends.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static gave a wary glance at Maple.

[None of your business Static.]

[Did I say anything?]

[None of your business Static.]

[I didn't say anything!]

[Besides, what of Night Cap's could she possibly hurt?]

[...]

[Oh c'mon! That was funny!]

[I think I preferred it when the cider was drowning you out.]

"If there are no further questions, you're dismissed for the moment. I'll speak with you briefly before you depart tomorrow."

"We should all meet for dinner. I'll need you all present for some of the spells I have in mind, and you'll want to know what you're carrying." Snowy was visibly excited by his ideas. He wasn't certain how much the others would think to use his spells, but knowing he was sending something with them eased his conscience somewhat.

"Time and place, I'll be there."

"Okay." Maple makes a note on her mental calendar to ask Night Cap where he buys his cloths in a weeks time. "Dinner would be lovely Mr. Skies, I just hope it isn't some place really expensive you have in mind as a meeting place... besides I'd hate to show up with a big round belly when I'm out looking for a fancy dress." Maple desperately attempts to avoid making eye contact with Miss Spark... not wanting the sensitive Unicorn to think she was making another comment about her middle...ooh that wasn't wha! t she had meant anyway ..silly well bucket.

"I'm there," Static confirmed.

[None of your business, Static...]

[Just one thing and I'll let it go.]

Static leaned over to Maple in a whisper. "Be careful using your powers on that one...for both your sakes. I have faith, but that pony's mind is a maze inside a labyrinth inside a non-euclidian puzzlebox."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anchors Away said, "I could cook. I'll have the time and it'll save everypony money."

"I can help...or...watch and learn," he offers to Anchors. "I've been trying a few things lately."

"Oh, I figured I'd be done during the normal workday so it'll be ready. But I can give you pointers though."

"Sure thing. Always looking for pointers. And I can show you what I've learned."

"Everypony has their issues."

Static jerks his head back to Maple. Sure, this can work. He's totally okay with two conversations at once!

[You're own dang fault!]

Static nodded and whispered back to Maple. "And if anypony can help him with his, it's you. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, and you're the one to pull it off. Just...be careful."

Snowy nods, quietly relieved. He rarely ate out, and really had no idea where they could have met. Just thinking about cramming all of them into his apartment made him claustrophobic. "That sounds good. But if you're home cooking, how do we find your house?" Apartment, maybe? Didn't Anchors travel around prior to this assignment?

"It's at the docks. Meet up at the front greeting desk after work and I'll lead everypony there."

"I love the docks, is it near where I first met you and Misty?" Maple asked.

[At the docks? Maybe I wasn't too far off about needing the scuba gear!]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Yeah, I think it's a good plan too!" Misty wasn't sure which of the plans from the last few minutes she was praising, but felt confident that it would sort itself out fairly soon.

"Not exactly there but you'll see, Maple."

The STOMP team departed for the rest of their workday.

Spoiler

Snowy quietly waited for the room to empty out before approaching Brisk Iron's desk. "Director, I'd like to come with you to Nightmare Heights." He pauses, waiting for a response and hoping that he won't have to make his case.

Brisk Iron arched an eyebrow in curiosity. "So you'll know, this will be a philanthropic mission. Will you be willing to get your hooves dirty?"

In spite of himself, Snowy grins. "Always have been." After a few moments, the real meaning of the question presents itself to him. "...Even in the literal case."

"Well then, I'll need you ready bright and early tomorrow morning. I'll need to let the air ferry know I'll have another with me but that will be no problem. Any other questions?"

Hopes aside, Snowy hadn't expected things to be so simple. "Nope. See you then." He marches out of the room, feeling confused and accomplished, but these emotions quickly give way to planning. He'd need to pack for the swamp, of course. But before that he needed to figure out how to get home before the end of the workday. He needed to pick up some supplies...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The workday passed in a fairly uneventful fashion for the Keep employees. Snowy Skies easily found a moment to slip out during lunch break to gather some key things needed for his plans to work. As the day ended, the team gathered at the front greeting desk where they found Anchors Away waiting for them. "I hope everypony's ready. Don't want the meal to get cold."

[I'm going to see Anchor's home! I'm going to see Anchors home! I'm going to...]

[DOWN BOY!]

"Ready when you are."

Traversing the streets of Caballuston, the team soon came to one of the canals. Anchors Away hopped in and swam along side them as they walked through the docks. Eventually, they came to a solitary mailbox standing by itself. "Here we are! How fast I can bring you in depends on if you mind getting wet and whether or not you can hold your breath."

[Should'a brought the scuba gear!]

"I don't mind getting wet and I can hold my breath...but I'm not a real fantastic swimmer. I...can doggy paddle...kinda...

[You know, if you're going to have a seapony as your marefriend, you're probably going to have to learn this stuff!]

"I think I prefer the slower, drier option," Amber said, cautiously, not quite certain what Anchors was suggesting.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Alright. I can bubble and those who want to be dry one at a time. Those who don't mind getting wet, me and Misty can drag under. Amber, you're up first. Keep all hooves and horns inside the bubble."

Anchors Away cheerfully hummed as she swirled the water with her hooves and made a pony sized bubble. Pushing it over Amber Spark, Anchors Away then gently pushed it underwater. After going down twenty feet, they traveled through a very short tunnel until reaching a room with a waterway running down the center. After lifting Amber Spark onto the dry floor and popping the bubble, Anchors Away said, "Wait here and the rest will be down shortly."

"I'd love the chance to swim down, finding out if I can do it would make dropping by unexpectedly a little easier. That way Miss Away and I don't need to wait for missions or coincidental free time at work to dish about Mr. Signal." Maple giggled as she sauntered past Static and belly flopped into the water with a muffled splash mixed with a soft spongy splort sound as her mane and tail began to soak up water.

Amber couldn't help nervously scanning around for any curious fish as the bubble sunk under the surface and passed into the tunnel. It was a unique and unsettling experience, and Amber couldn't help wondering if this is what other ponies felt like when she winked them. Once Anchors Away deposited her in the chamber, Amber rocked her hooves on the solid surface slightly. "Thank you, Ms. Away," she said, calming gradually and looking around the room.

"My saddlebags should probably stay dry, and everything about this will be more difficult if I'm wet and miserable, so I'll take a bubble." His time around Anchors had done an excellent job of acclimating Snowy to a variety of aspects of water travel, but he still hated that sopping wet feeling where his coat clung to his body.

"I think I prefer the bubble, I am a pegasus. We're not known for our swimming prowess." She says and looks to Misty. "Ususally."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Okay, so, Snowy and Rhapsody are waiting for Anchors..." Misty looked over to Night Cap. "If you're ready, Night Cap, I can bring you down?"

Flairvoyant held her breath and hopped into the water. Anchors Away giggled and said,[/FONT ]"Misty, if you could get Static and Maple, I'll get the rest."

As each member of the STOMP team arrived in the underwater hallway, they found that it was dimly lit by small, glowing plants that were sitting in flower pots. They could smell something delightful wafting through the air, presumably dinner.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Zam

Maple took her deepest deep breath ... and tucked her wings in. Rhapsody had made an interesting observation... Pegasus ponies weren't really known to be commonly good swimmers. Misty seemed almost a natural at it ... and while Maple had never found it exceptionally difficult herself, she had come to understand that some horses were Ravens like Rhapsody, while Misty and herself were more the beautiful Swan and Ducky respectively.

Static sighed and turned his attention to Maple. "You know, if you're going to talk about someone without them there, you're not supposed to tell them about it!"

Static looked at the water. "Well, nothing for it!"

Spoiler

Static took a deep breath and plunged in. While he was under the water, he took a moment (just a moment because he certainly didn't want to run out of breath) to take in the sights.

[So, this is Anchors world!]

As he came out the other side, he looked around at the glowing plants. Seems she liked things a bit on the dim side as well. Static could appreciate that.

He didn't know what the aroma that he smelled, but he sure couldn't wait to find out.

"Is it okay if I brighten it up a little bit? Been working on something new." "Sure. I forgot everypony else isn't as used to low lighting."

Flairvoyant conjured a small sphere of light in front of her horn. It brightened the hall but not to a strong intensity. It floated in front of the group until it stopped over a table. Flairvoyant pointed at the ceiling with her horn and the light lifted. It was a fairly large wooden table with several dents and the table was positioned so that the legs were on either side of the waterw! ay. Anchors Away swam under the table towards an oddly rounded, iridescent grey stove on the far wall. "Go ahead and take a seat. We'll be having a beet and butternut squash stew. The exact spices shall remain a mystery but I may reveal a few as we talk."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Is it okay if I brighten it up a little bit? Been working on something new." "Sure. I forgot everypony else isn't as used to low lighting."

"Well actually...!"

Flairvoyant conjured a small sphere of light in front of her horn. It brightened the hall but not to a strong intensity.

Static winces and turn his head slightly away from the light. He takes a seat at the table.

Zamuel:
"Huh, I never noticed."

Static sees the tell tale signs of a pony trying to fight a sneeze coming from Night Cap.

"I've heard it's actually not good for you to try and fight it. Just sneeze. You'll feel better."

Maple had come out of the water with her fur damp and smoothed out down her back and flank... "It was just a joke Static... the gossiping part anyway. It's just nice to know where your friends live." Maple smirked. As everypony moved toward Anchor's table... Maple's tail and mane "fooompped" back to their normal shapes...and her wings wicked the remainder of the water back into the open access, after a little shiver and a shake of her one back leg - she took a spot with the others.

"What useful magic that is..." She remarked as the room brightened, making a note in her head about how useful that could be in a wrestling match... but what to call it..hmm solar flare... no people would think it was an homage and the wooing would never stop... Blessings of Celestia? hmmm yeah that might work... her unicorn persona was a Princess fangirl....
Maple's mind drifted away into thinking about making laser beam attacks for all the Princesses.

Snowy seats himself at the table and opens his saddlebag. He draws out 8 sets of 3 bits each, colored gold, silver, and bronze, and arrays them on the table in front of him. He blots out the sound around him and focuses carefully on the coins while the others banter. Sweat starts to bead on his forehead and he takes a deep breath as he looks up a the group. "Alright, everypony, listen close. The gold bits are now good for one blinding flash, and the bronze ones are each good for one deafening bang. They activate when the touch the ground, whether it's tile or dirt or wood, so long as it's close to hooves." He levitates two bits before each pony. "Put them in a s! ide pocket where you'll remember them, so they won't get mixed up with your normal money. Now then, what should the silver coins be? I'm thinking a smoke cloud." In spite of his levity, Snowy seemed tired. Casting dormant illusions was a ways outside his comfort zone.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Blinding flash! ..oh gosh that's perfect you're a genius Mr. Skies! Maple's thoughts tended to often loose something between the brain and mouth ... this moment in particular, her level of excitement mixed with her previous distraction and... all she managed was a "whoa."

Misty picks up a bronze bit and examines it. "Is that what they mean when they say 'get more bang for your bit?'"

Rhapsody winces some at the sudden brightness. 'buck.' she murmurs to herself as she staggers around a bit and shakes her head. Being able to see perfectly in the dark, the sudden change in light is almost like a flare in front of her eyes for how quickly her eyes have to adjust. She makes her way to the table and sits down next to Amber.

When her vision returns to normal she looks over the coins that Snowy lays down, and looks them over curiously; being no stranger to arcane items. "Interesting set." She muses, and considers what the third should be.

Anchors Away started putting bowls of stew at everypony's place. "Smoke sounds good. Some ponies aren't blinded by bright light, plus it's less likely to give your position away when it's dark."

Destron D-69:
Maple had come out of the water with her fur damp and smoothed out down her back and flank... "It was just a joke Static... the gossiping part anyway. It's just nice to know where your friends live."

Static smiles and nudges her. "I know. But you seem to like it when I get all riled up."

Static watches as Snowy enchants the coins. "Smoke sounds good. Thanks, Snowy."

Static looks at the bowl of stew eagerly as it's put in front of him. He was beginning to forget the taste of frozen chimicherrychangas...and that could only be a good thing.[/SIZE]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amber, for her part, appreciated the illumination, and took another look around Anchors' cozy little grotto.

"Intriguing," she said, looking over the coins. "A bit of cut for our run, I should think. Thank you, Mr. Skies."

"Mr.s Skies, that is the most amazing magic I have ever seen. Thank you for going to all this effort for us." Maple was amazed at just how versatile unicorn magic could be... she'd have to up her game in those matches.

"Sounds simple enough. Thanks, Snowy, for all of this."

Snowy couldn't help raising an eyebrow at Maple. "You've never seen Amber fight, have you?"

Caldwin:
"Sounds simple enough. Thanks, Snowy, for all of this."

He sighs. "Just...be careful, alright? I know that's not our strong suit, but give it a shot." He glances around, apparently noting the soup for the first time. "But in the meantime, I'm starving. Let's eat, and then I'll see if I'm rested enough to do something about your wallets."

Maple looked from Snowy ..to Amber. Then back to Snowy.
"... come to think of it, no not really." Maple began eating with the others... occasionally looking over at Miss Spark. Seeing her friend in an entirely new light.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static's idea of protecting his wallet in a town like Petrichor Falls was to not take any more than he was willing to lose. Still, anything Snowy could do to protect them beyond that would also be appreciated.

Static grins as he looks between Amber and Maple.

"Only two things you need to know about Amber in a fight. One, be glad she's on our side and two, don't piss her off."

"Why in Equestria would I want to upset her...?" Maple gave Static a cross look, Miss Away was a very tolerant Marefriend if she was okay with that type of language at her dinner table.

Static winces, picking up on the verbal cue. "Sorry...where I grew up, that was considered so mild it wasn't even considered a curse. Umm...you wouldn't want to...upset...her. That's what I was...ahem...never mind.

Static shrunk down in his chair a bit.

Too distracted to comment on the exchange about professional language, Amber looked at Snowy without turning her head. Amber's expression might have been described as "mixed" as she shook her head. "Oh, Mr. Skies, really, nothing compared to your performance at the concert hall. You're a very capable magician yourself," she said. "And these coins should be very useful," she said, thinking of marketing employees in hallways as she lifted one of the bronze coins with her magic and turned it over in front of her, curious to see if she could sense anything unusual about them.

Spoiler

As Amber Spark examined the coin held in her magical grasp, she found that Snowy Skies had done a good job at hiding his handiwork. While she could tell that the coin had been enchanted, she wouldn't have been able to tell the exact spell if she hadn't heard the explanation. Meanwhile, Anchors Away said, "I wish I could give some sort of advice for your trip but it's out of my element. But at least I can make sure you're well fed before you go. How are you liking it?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I don't know if I can take credit for that one, Amber. Writers steal, but musicians try not to take credit for each other's work." Snowy barely gets the statement out before he attacks the soup with his spoon. After 30 seconds of undignified consumption, he looks up, says "This is the best soup I've ever had," and begins to eat at a more controlled pace. In that hungry moment, it really was the greatest of soups.

"I don't remember ever having this before, but it's very good... you could maybe sell this at a little stand ..if it isn't expensive to make."

"Food was good!" Mistys says, patting her full belly.

"Thanks everypony. The ingredients aren't expensive but one is kinda rare. But...I find cooking to be a thing you share with those you care about. I don't think I'd be able to cook as a job."

Static straightened back up in his chair and tasted the soup. "Wow! Between your quiche and this soup...you're good! Thanks!" Static had the rest of the soup done in short order. He wasn't sure if it would be impolite to ask for seconds, so he just waited for everyone else to be finished.

Top Bottom