Star Trek: Prodigy, Season 2 not coming to Paramount+?

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm pretty optimistic about this. It seems less like a kids show than Lower Decks did in the early episodes.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Surprised that no one seems to be commenting. So I guess I'll give a couple of quick takes.

Keeping in mind that this show is intended for a younger audience, I nonetheless found the opening two-parter engaging, and look forward to where they go from here.

Last night's episode (the first "regular" one?) was mostly a disappointment, and if the main character doesn't shed some of his arrogance really soon, the show may become nigh unwatchable. I'm not ready to give up just yet, however.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Yeah, Dal's prideful arrogance and cynicism is understandable, given his background, but he needs some sense beaten into him before he gets his "crew" killed.

I love that holo-Janeway has a holographic coffee mug. Obviously the programmer(s) knew her well.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So far this is better than anything else we've got in modern Trek. The first two parter was pretty good, in light of being very much Star Wars: Prodigy.

Episode 3 has a lot of lore dump I guess to get kids educated on things like how ships work and what the Federation is. But it felt like literally NOTHING happened to further the story outside of the bit at the end where the bad guy launched his asteroid ship under cloak. Why does he need the Starfleet ship again when he has that bad ass flying fortress?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Saw that the first episode is up on Official channels on Youtube for free so me and the wife watched it this morning.

There seemed to be at least as much Star Wars and Mass effect to its feel as Star Trek but that's not a bad thing. It was a really good kids adventure show. The first episode left us excited to eventually see more.

-ZacWilliam, Lower Decks is awesome as an older aimed comedy and this looks to be awesome as a yonger aimed adventure. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I feel our Holo Janeway is smart enough to realize that these are just random kids looking for a way out of a bad situation. But it does beg the question if the Protostar was deliberately launched into the Delta Quadrant with a crew or was it sent out looking for a crew? If there was a crew, what happened to them? If it’s an experimental starship looking to find willing recruits into the Delta Quadrant does that mean we have cracked transwarp? Is that what our middle reactor or whatever is for? So many questions and I can’t wait to find out more.

Dvandom

Citizen
I was rather irritated by episode 3. Way too many "carrying the idiot ball" cliches.

---Dave

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Sadly the feel of our crew so far has the only truly competent one being in the brig and uncooperative to the rest. Dal's too arrogant at the moment to let others help him, Jankom seems mechanically inclined but not much in any other areas, Rok seems like an innocent "lil" girl who doesn't know much else outside the miners life she's had, and Murf is the slimedog. Zero seems like she could know what to do but she could be gleaning traits from everyone else. Or she's just not used to being so corporeal? I'm not a big Trek fan so I'm not familiar with Medusans other than I remember them existing in either TOS or TNG I believe.

Glitch

Citizen
So the Protostar is one of the two deep space exploration ships sent to the Delta Quadrant according to Voyager episode Lifeline?

Cybersnark

Citizen
Zero seems like she could know what to do but she could be gleaning traits from everyone else. Or she's just not used to being so corporeal? I'm not a big Trek fan so I'm not familiar with Medusans other than I remember them existing in either TOS or TNG I believe.
Zero explicitly refers to themselves as nonbinary ("they"/"them"), and yes, Medusans "appeared" in TOS (where they were identified as unparalleled navigators that needed a handler to carry them around and could only be looked upon while wearing silly-looking visors.

st-truth3-740x557.jpg

So the Protostar is one of the two deep space exploration ships sent to the Delta Quadrant according to Voyager episode Lifeline?
That wouldn't explain Holo-Janeway. The only clue we have to a timeframe is from a behind-the-scenes interview months ago, which claimed to place the series in 2383 (five years after Voyager returned home in 2377 [for reference, the scout ships you're talking about wouldn't have been dispatched before 2374, as that's when Starfleet learned that Voyager still survived]), but that doesn't make any sense with what we've actually seen onscreen (Tellarites, Medusans, and Brikar in the Delta Quadrant, a "Tellarite" who seems to have more than a little Talaxian in his blood, and the Protostar having apparently been embedded inside a planetoid for at least 10 years [Gwyn had no idea it was here, and she's lived her whole life there, which means it must've arrived before she was old enough to remember anything, possibly even before she was born]). I and others are assuming we've been mislead (remember when they insisted that Bendybuss Cumbersome wasn't playing Khan?).

And since we're in the era of Star Trek when visual continuity means nothing, it's impossible to estimate the ship's design-era based on what we've seen.

Which brings me to my one big criticism so far; by using the Bad Robot-era aesthetic (which already tries its damndest to ape Star Wars' visual language [harsh monochrome metal-and-plastic]), there ends up being very little visual contrast between the harsh world of the mining colony and the relative luxury of the Protostar. Imagine how much more striking it would've been to have these rough and hardscrabble characters stumbling into the pastel-carpeting-and-soft-lighting of Classic Trek's 24th-century. It really would've sold the sheer out-of-place feeling that the pilot was obviously going for.

(Related, check out Tadeo D'Oria's CGI work.)

Kup

Citizen
The nacelles scream JJ-Prise. Are we sure this isn’t the alternate reality?

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Maybe in 20 years Star Trek: Even Enterpriser can do a multi-part story arc about how Murf's grandfather traveled to the alternate reality to steal starship engine schematics and that's why sometimes the visuals line up weirdly if you compare things that were made over a decade apart.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Apparently this thread got abandoned, and no one picked it up again when the show came back.

I'm especially surprised no one's bothered enough to comment about the apparent continuity glitch (I have a fix in mind, but don't think it's been made explicitly clear) of the Protostar being lost "17 years ago" on a stardate that corresponds to Season 3 of TNG, yet having a holographic Janeway on board and Chakotay as the Captain.

I expect time-travel shenanigans.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I've been too busy to post but I've been keeping caught up. I think the really hit it out of the park when they brought back simulations of the characters via sound clips. Some of them sounded a bit stilted, but it was nice with what they had to work with. It makes Lower Decks "references" look even more pathetic.

I wish we could have a series without one glaringly awful character as the "lead" though. There's not a single interesting thing about Dal other than his role of making everyone else better by comparison.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So we finally started watching this series last night. The girls love it! We watched the first two episodes and would have kept going, but it was bed time.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
So has anyone else been watching it? Lot of revelations in this half of the season, double Janeway, etc. This week was the first part of the season finale so if you've been waiting to marathon it, you should be good to do so next Thursday.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I watch it every week. Best new Trek series hands down.

Kup

Citizen
I watch it every week. Best new Trek series hands down.
For being the “kid-focused” series it’s surprisingly deep with lore, storylines, and character growth. First half of the finale was epic. Cannot wait for next week.

Also, it has an utterly epic opening credits theme song. We usually skip them for all streaming shows but not Prodigy. It’s such a throw back to the Pre-Enterprise era.

Top Bottom