I really dont like Cyberverse

Johnny Here!

Citizen
I abhor it
I didn't like RID because it was such a big departure from Primeand I felt like it had simplistic writing,

But Cyberverse takes it further, and tries to be serious with character death, but then have things like boom box battles as to why Soundblaster hates Soundwave.

Mood whiplash isn't even the word for it. I don't like Teen Titans Go, but it's dedicated to what it is.

This show just went back and forth and isn't particularly good at being serious or funny.

There has to be a universal line where we can say, hey, this is bad.

People used to talk about G1 and how people unreservedly put it on a pedestal, but this is worse than G1.

Yeah, G1 had wacky things going on, but it still felt serious when it needed to be. The voices were good.

Johnny Here!

Citizen
Cyberverse is 100% better than the slog that was the Netflix trilogy.

As for something we can ALL say is bad; that’s what the Prime Wars trilogy is for!

Sir, that's a very low bar.

I wouldn't want to watch either one for more than 5 minutes.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Totally cool with you having your own opinion.
I respectfully disagree with you, but totally cool with your opinion, nonetheless.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well put!

Although, maybe it is a sign that you have crossed over the age barrier where you don't like new things.....

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I think there's room to dislike this (or any other) show unrelated to target age issues. I mean, the show has issues. The 10-minute episode format doesn't lend itself to compelling stories or characterization. Bumblebee having using the radio to speak again was a really tired trope before the show launched. The S1/S2 time skip was a neat idea, but poorly executed and confusing as a result. The large cast combined with short running time of the series doesn't give much screen time to really connect with many of the characters, so much of the more serious side of the show I think falls flat without the legacy connection the fandom has to the characters. And that seems like an odd choice for a show nominally aimed at kids, who can't be assumed to have that legacy connection. Not to mention that having this as the main/kids' line played heavily into the G1 overload a lot of the fandom's been complaining about. Also, the voice acting never rises above OK at best.

Having said that, the show definitely has its upsides as well. That short running time might make for shallow stories, but it also doesn't allow for time-wasting filler, so it has a fast pace that can be a bit refreshing. The visual design is nicely stylized, providing a nice new take on a lot of characters. There are a lot of fun, new versions of various characters and TF tropes. The few new characters are intriguing, albeit criminally underused. And it undeniably improved as it went along. I haven't gotten around to watching the specials yet, but it definitely has an upward trajectory over the three seasons.

I think the big thing is that the format is just such a large departure from previous shows that it's bound to be a bit polarizing. I imagine it will nearly universally rank above the franchise bottom feeders like Energon or the Machinima shows. But beyond that, I can see how it can easily rank at either the top or bottom of each individual's list based on personal preference.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I maintain that it's far from bad, but it's not... Great? It's all right. I've enjoyed it less than RID2015, another recent show that tends to not get much love for whatever reason.

It was hamstrung a bit by things like leaning on radio-voice Bee and the early amnesia plot elements, which always slows things down (also a plot and characterization albatross for things like Captain Marvel and Eternals). I also agree that the 10-minute format, while not preventing fun stories from being told here and there, doesn't do the show any favors. The voice acting also really does nothing for me. To be safe, I'll explicitly state this has nothing to do with not having Cullen or Welker; everyone is just... there and not very memorable. Also, some of the new ideas within the good bunch of new ideas and takes seem to just be different for the sake of being different, or at least I don't see the benefit of the changes made. Maybe that's just me not being able to relate; maybe that's me thinking they should have just started with new from the ground up rather than G1 But Not Really.

The show does still have a lot of things going for it, and once it gets out the blocks it plays with a lot of interesting bits of TF lore. (I'm still catching up, mind.) And a lot of the new ideas and takes do add something to the characters and mythos as a whole. I also rather like the energy of it behind the scenes; there's a love for these characters and concepts that does come through in the work.

Also, Clobber.

SG_Roadbuster

Citizen
The 2 finale movies really put my main problem with cyberverse into perspective. the 10 minute runtime is not conductive to good storytelling for an action cartoon. by the time ive gotten into the groove the episode is over.

another problem i have is that the cyberverse versions of pre-existing characters dont feel unique. just extensions of their geewun selves.

with cyberverse over, i hope hasbro goes in a wild, NEW direction and gives us something we havent seen before. getting kinda tired of reheated leftovers from 1984.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
with cyberverse over, i hope hasbro goes in a wild, NEW direction and gives us something we havent seen before. getting kinda tired of reheated leftovers from 1984.
"A new third faction of Transformers is adopted by a human family, coming soon to a Nickelodeon near you." ;)

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Haha….adults arguing about a show specifically designed for kids.

I wasn’t a fan of the choppiness of it, how things just happened it seemed with little to no explanation. But I have enjoyed what I’ve seen of the series on Netflix and the 2 movies. Held my 2 and 4 year old kids attention for a bit, so it’s doing something right.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Cyberverse season one is ok but simple and hamstrung by it.

Cyberverse season two is really good.

Cyberverse season three is some of the best modern TF cartoon easy.

Cyberverse Season four was fun and a nice tie up.

-ZacWilliam, honestly you are free to like what you want but if you don't like Cyberverse after Season 1 then I think you have bad taste, and I don't expect to agree with you on what makes a good TF show at all.

Johnny Here!

Citizen
Cyberverse season one is ok but simple and hamstrung by it.

Cyberverse season two is really good.

Cyberverse season three is some of the best modern TF cartoon easy.

Cyberverse Season four was fun and a nice tie up.

-ZacWilliam, honestly you are free to like what you want but if you don't like Cyberverse after Season 1 then I think you have bad taste, and I don't expect to agree with you on what makes a good TF show at all.
The earlier seasons were better, it got goofier as it went on

You and me don't agree on a lot(not trying to be snarky at all, just trying to explain where I'm coming from)

When ppl say fun, what they seem to mean is just random hijinks.
That's not a replacement for good writing.

And it honestly makes me sad, because I'm waiting for Transformers shows to go back the other way.

I like stuff like Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, Amphibia, Gravity Falls, and Wander Over Yonder.

So it's not that I don't like stuff aimed at kids, or things with comedic elements, but it actually has to hit.

And Cyberverse does none of that.

Johnny Here!

Citizen
Haha….adults arguing about a show specifically designed for kids.

I wasn’t a fan of the choppiness of it, how things just happened it seemed with little to no explanation. But I have enjoyed what I’ve seen of the series on Netflix and the 2 movies. Held my 2 and 4 year old kids attention for a bit, so it’s doing something right.

I mean, is it weird that I want a better Transformers show down the line?

I don't get the hahaha it's for kids

I mean, most of us are adults spending our time posting on here

No, I don't expect Hasbro to cater to my every whim

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
I think Cyberverse benefits immensely from being released during this particular era of Transformers. A lot of us are getting damn sick of all these tryhard grimdark low-effort-nostalgia wank-fests, so a show willing to do something ridiculous like Space Steve Irwin the Alien Hunter is incredibly refreshing. It'd have been destroyed had it come out a decade ago when the baseline was Prime or Animated.

I mean I really enjoyed Cyberverse, but there's no way I'd ever include it with the "actually good" TF stuff.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This interview with showrunner Randolph Heard really sheds some light on the making of Cyberverse and why some things were done the way they were done:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You and me don't agree on a lot(not trying to be snarky at all, just trying to explain where I'm coming from)

When ppl say fun, what they seem to mean is just random hijinks.
That's not a replacement for good writing.

It's totally fair to like different things and not have all of our views line up. I don't think anyone begrudges you that -- but it's also why we don't have a "universal line" we draw to say "this is bad". (We can come to agree that there's a general air of meh about, say, the Netflix WFC stuff, but that has a good number of people who liked it and while I will likely not ever agree with them, I won't think less of them for "not getting it".)

Entirely out of curiosity, and totally honest question -- what would you characterize as "well-written" "fun"? Just so I see the benchmark. Like give me a moment, or a scene, or a dialogue exchange, or a plotline, whatever. It's something that comes up a lot, especially as a defense of things (this show isn't the best, but it's fun) and one thing we tend to gloss over is that not everyone will even find certain things "fun" through no fault of their own.

Top Bottom