I know that brand, but isn't the name wrong? The weird world of international branding

Nevermore

Citizen
All of these are by the same company. They're just released in different markets.
Rexona.jpg

Same story here: International man of mystery.
33NT80_AS01.jpg71w0NN9A2+L._SL500_.jpgMR-PROPER-LEMON-5-L-uniwersalny-plyn-do-mycia.jpg9805193838622.jpg71Ey6eeGSbL._SL500_.jpg61jqBpF-RjL._SL500_.jpg5410076688890.jpg410fqqZNZhL._SL500_.jpg

And who doesn't know this?
Hungy Jacks.jpg578650b4dd089540408b4841.jpg

Or this?
poulet-frit-kentucky.jpg

Me personally, I'm familar with this chain, but I assume many of you think there's a wrong letter in the name.
578650b4dd089540408b4848.jpg

Just to reiterate: None of these are imitations or blatant attempts to cash in on a famous brand. They're all legitimately associated with the same company that uses whichever name in whichever country you live in. It's just that for some reason, they have decided to modify or completely change the name for certain markets. Which then causes confusion for international tourists.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I can tell you that "poulet frit kentucky" was literally just KFC attempting to comply with quebecs language laws, but if they had stood their ground as other chain stores did, they would have retained the right to use their trademark in advertising.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Hungry Jack's has a really fun story behind it. "Hungry Jack" is a brand of pancake mix in the US, and that's not a coincidence: for most of its existence, Burger King was actually owned by Pillsbury. When an Australian approached them about franchising, and it turned out there was already a restaurant called Burger King there (as in a single independent burger joint whose owner apparently didn't want to sell the rights), they sent him a list of phrases they had already trademarked and said pick one. The man's name happened to be Jack, so it was an easy choice.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
On that note, does Lay's/Walker's count? They were both separate brands originally, and then Frito-Lay decided to redesign the Walker's bag to match the Lay's one after the buyout.

Nevermore

Citizen
3 Musketeers.jpgMilky-Way-UK-Wrapper-Small.jpgmilkywaymars.jpg

From what I understand, a European Milky Way bar is more or less the same as a US 3 Musketeers bar.

Meanwhile, a US Milky Way bar is known as a Mars bar in Europe.

Confused yet?

NovaSaber

Citizen
And in the US, a Mars bar used to be something else different, with almonds in it; Snickers Almond is the closest you can get to it now.

For that matter, Snickers used to be called Marathon in the UK. There is (was?) also a "Snickers Marathon" energy bar in the US.

Basically, they're the Street Fighter II bosses of chocolate.

Nevermore

Citizen
Here's a Transformers example:
Beast Wars titles.jpg

English toyline and cartoon title in the US, the UK, Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, and also the Canadian toyline title: "Beast Wars"
Canadian French toyline title: "Guerre des Bêtes"
Latin American Spanish toyline and cartoon title: "Guerra de Bestias"
Canadian English cartoon title: "Beasties"
Canadian French cartoon title: "Robots-Bêtes"
Italian toyline and cartoon title: "Biocombat"
European French toyline and cartoon title: "Ani Mutants"

That's three different French titles between Canada and France!

LiamA

Citizen
On that note, does Lay's/Walker's count? They were both separate brands originally, and then Frito-Lay decided to redesign the Walker's bag to match the Lay's one after the buyout.

Thank you for that. You pretty much answered my question about Lay's.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Oh, and if the Lay's/Walker's situation counts, there are also cases of the same thing happening even within a single country. Hardee's and Carl's Jr. are effectively the same restaurant, and so are Checkers and Rally's. Different names, same logo style and décor, same menu as far as I know. Hardee's and Carl's Jr.—which are both named after their respective real founders—even invented a fictional spokescharacter named "Carl Hardee Sr." at one point.

The United States is big, yo.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Similar to the above: Hellmann's (mostly known for their mayonnaise but they apparently do other condiments too) is sold as Best Foods to the west of the Rocky Mountains here in the US, as well as in East Asia, Southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
And meanwhile I'm pretty sure there's some completely different no-name store brand called Best Foods in the eastern US.

Megatronus Prime

Citizen
Here's a Transformers example:
View attachment 3666

English toyline and cartoon title in the US, the UK, Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, and also the Canadian toyline title: "Beast Wars"
Canadian French toyline title: "Guerre des Bêtes"
Latin American Spanish toyline and cartoon title: "Guerra de Bestias"
Canadian English cartoon title: "Beasties"
Canadian French cartoon title: "Robots-Bêtes"
Italian toyline and cartoon title: "Biocombat"
European French toyline and cartoon title: "Ani Mutants"

That's three different French titles between Canada and France!
Dunno why, but I wonder what the canadian star wars name is.

Top Bottom