Horizon: Forbidden West

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I downloaded this last night but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm still finishing up Mass Effect and Pokemon. But I wanted to get it while the version with the digital soundtrack and artbook was available.

I absolutely loved the first game (though I never did finish the DLC). So I'm really hoping this is good.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Gotten a few hours into it. One tip I have to give here: There are a couple of hidden grottos full of water in the Daunt. Don't bother trying to swim into them. You won't make it far at the beginning of the game, but the "You don't have the equipment for this yet" message didn't pop up for me until it was too late to make it back and I drowned.

Caldwin

Citizen
"I'll just play until the first save spot. I really do need to get stuff ready for tomorrow."

2+ hours later...

"Where the **** is the first save spot???"

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I'm guessing you missed the auto-save icon. Also, I have learned the hard way to never ever start a in-depth game unless I have a good chunk of time, orherwise I will get sucked in (unless it's a crap game).

Caldwin

Citizen
I never trust auto-saves. I mean, yeah, I trust them for a game crash or power outage situation. But if I'm turning the system off and calling it a night and the game offers a manual save... I don't turn it off until I've made that manual save.

Kup

Citizen
"I'll just play until the first save spot. I really do need to get stuff ready for tomorrow."

2+ hours later...

"Where the **** is the first save spot???"
This is why I switched to another game on launch day at 10pm that night. I knew if I didn't force myself to stop playing (by that point, about 5 hours in) I would be up until 3am. Whereas other games I could turn off easier.

Caldwin

Citizen
I think I'm done with this game. I'm honestly just not having any fun playing it.

The thing is, I should be loving it. I absolutely loved the first one. I had a blast with the first one. And this one is everything the first one was only more and (objectively) better. I should be having just as much fun with this one as I did the first one... but I'm not.

I really don't understand why I'm not having fun with this, but I'm not. So I guess I'll be playing Ratchet and Clank then.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Finished the Burning Shores DLC (well, the story part, there's still more stuff to collect and explore). I can see why they said "technical issues" kept it off the PS4.....

...considering the final boss is a Horus-class Titan, AKA one of the mountain-sized Metal Devils that appear all over the landscape, getting reactivated. It's in bad shape after being deactivated, idle, and exposed to the elements for a few centuries, but other than its printers dying (so it stops spawning Corruptors after a certain point, and thankfully never manages a Deathbringer), it's still a pretty lengthy fight with a lot going on. Kinda gave me flashbacks to fighting Reapers in Mass Effect 3, but without a Migrant Fleet or a Thresher Maw to do most of the work for me.

The whole arc with Seyka was also great. And it was fun seeing Gildun again.

Overall, I think it's a great game. It takes a bit to pick up the pace; a lot of the early stuff in the Daunt feels kinda filler-ish. And the obvious point about Aloy not being able to do everything by herself drags the beginning out a bit. Once you actually get into the Forbidden West and open up the map, though, it gets a lot better. And the new machines are a nice challenge. If you thought Thunderjaws were rough, wait until you meet a Slaughterspine.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The DLC is totally worth it
If only b/c Aloy's actually showing romantic interest in someone. I do wonder how they'll tie it in to future games, since they gave different results for the confession.

Top Bottom