General Help With Tacky Paint.

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
I wasn't paying attention the other day and messed up after painting a custom action figure. I sealed it with gloss sealant, not matte. Went back over it with a matte sealant after two days of drying the gloss. However, I'm still getting a tacky feel. Weirdly, sometimes, the figure feels like he's going to be just fine. His cape doesn't stick to him ever, but he's tacky to the touch. Sealed him with two light coats of matte to avoid blocking the lower layers of paint from drying. Also, FYI, only the non-painted areas are tacky. The custom painted areas like boots and hands are fine now. Any tips or experience for fixing this? I usually don't have this issue because I use the right sealant to start with, just hoping there's an easy fix... The figure used was a DC Infinite Heroes Wildcat. Acrylic craft paint. High gloss and Matte Mod Podge.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Any tips or experience for fixing this?

I missed this. I wouldn't have used Mod Podge but my suggestion would be to apply a thin, watered down layer of sealant and put it somewhere warm to dry. Varnish/sealant gets weird when it's cool and dries improperly. Also, is any of this soft plastic?

Dvandom

Citizen
Odd that you got tacky with brush-on sealant, I've usually only encountered it with spray (and occasionally with nail polish before I stopped using that).

But yeah, soft plastic is most susceptible.

---Dave

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Tacky results with brush on varnish has happened to me. If you remember that Equestria Girls custom I did on the old forum, it happened then. The quirk with acrylic varnish is that you can reactivate it sometimes when it goes wrong and that reaction can force it to cure properly.

Top Bottom