He-Man, and also the Masters of the Universe

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
7255FEE0-E3A8-423D-BC5C-FFAC680CA4EB.jpeg

This arrived from BBTS today. 😍

FBF04785-F40E-41E2-B417-19CF017B14FF.jpeg

Comparison with vintage. Neither one can move the waist for posing since it's used for the gimmick, but at least Origins defaults to a standing pose that's decent for posing.

0C25F98A-495E-4640-A731-5DAEBF9AC5A3.jpeg

Origins shield is larger And the sword is the sturdier full sword instead of the half sword.

5EA7DD03-346C-4D66-95B9-5F6A728B560A.jpeg

It looks like the thunder sound is done with a snapping metal thing in the back. It's not the same as the blast caps, but it's probably the best they can do with today's laws.

0063F736-CD86-4563-AB66-BAE13441F4B7.jpeg

The backpack is removable and has nothing to do with the thunder gimmick aside from being vented so as not to muffle the sound.

Final grade, I miss the blast caps and the snappy plate is a poor replacement. But unfortunately that's just how things are these days. In every other way, I have to admit that Origins wins this.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
View attachment 11210

This arrived from BBTS today. 😍

View attachment 11211

Comparison with vintage. Neither one can move the waist for posing since it's used for the gimmick, but at least Origins defaults to a standing pose that's decent for posing.

View attachment 11212

Origins shield is larger And the sword is the sturdier full sword instead of the half sword.

View attachment 11213

It looks like the thunder sound is done with a snapping metal thing in the back. It's not the same as the blast caps, but it's probably the best they can do with today's laws.

View attachment 11214

The backpack is removable and has nothing to do with the thunder gimmick aside from being vented so as not to muffle the sound.

Final grade, I miss the blast caps and the snappy plate is a poor replacement. But unfortunately that's just how things are these days. In every other way, I have to admit that Origins wins this.
Do they still sell cap guns, or some form of mechanism that uses them (possibly for "adults" they you could use?

Failing that, how about a digital sound, via speakers or something like that?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ah, a friend tried to get one for me, but they ran out.

One of my favorite variants of He-Man! More for the red-orange armor and yellow Power Sword, though.

Shame I can't afford that high-end one that also lets you make one of my other favorite variants:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Do they still sell cap guns, or some form of mechanism that uses them (possibly for "adults" they you could use?

Failing that, how about a digital sound, via speakers or something like that?

That leads me to believe that you can still find them if you know where to look. That also leads me to think that it's not a law thing but an industry decision thing. But that's just guessing.

But I had to muck around with different search terms to find that and I still didn't find any refill caps. And given that kind of rarity, I honestly don't know what's up with it. I'd like to know myself.

EDIT:

Walmart comes through.

Which is really puzzling to me. Because they do exist, so it can't be a law thing. But you reeeally have to search for them because they are very hard to find. And even an update of a toy that was centered around their use had to find a workaround. So I honestly don't know what's going on here.

EDIT EDIT
I don't know why the link says "Robot or Human." It's a link to the Walmart store with the ring caps.

Last edited:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
You can find caps and presumably cap guns at stores like walmart usually with the cheap couple dollar junk toys. They are just much much much rarer than they were in the 80s.

I think part of it is toy guns just fell out of favor with parents. Nowadays if a kid wants to play with any gun toy it's just nerf or squirt guns.

The point of caps was to make a "realistic" bang and smoke and realistic toy guns are out both for legal and saftey reasons.

-ZacWilliam, and cultural reasons. There have been a few too many real life tragedies for a lot of folks to think that's a fun toy anymore.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

That leads me to believe that you can still find them if you know where to look. That also leads me to think that it's not a law thing but an industry decision thing. But that's just guessing.

But I had to muck around with different search terms to find that and I still didn't find any refill caps. And given that kind of rarity, I honestly don't know what's up with it. I'd like to know myself.

EDIT:

Walmart comes through.

Which is really puzzling to me. Because they do exist, so it can't be a law thing. But you reeeally have to search for them because they are very hard to find. And even an update of a toy that was centered around their use had to find a workaround. So I honestly don't know what's going on here.

EDIT EDIT
I don't know why the link says "Robot or Human." It's a link to the Walmart store with the ring caps.
Amazon UK has them:

- https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cap+gu...ix=cap+gun+,aps,458&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8

You can buy LOADS of refills too. Although the prices (for some odd reason) aren't shown, if you click on each link and then select "more buying options", you'll see the prices.

(If anyone can explain why Amazon hides the prices of things, please let me know. I've often not clicked on search results as they've not shown any prices, so I assumed they were sold out).

Amazon America is even worse. Why does it show product images and search terms for items which do NOT show up in the search after we click on them? The image below is at Amazon but doesn't seem to exist?

Screenshot_20230101-052348.jpg

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The "hide the price" thing is a legal loophole I believe - they aren't allowed to advertise prices below MSRP or something, so they advertise no price and when when you add it to the cart they can tell you the actual price because it's not advertising anymore. At least that's what I've seen it for elsewhere.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The "hide the price" thing is a legal loophole I believe - they aren't allowed to advertise prices below MSRP or something, so they advertise no price and when when you add it to the cart they can tell you the actual price because it's not advertising anymore. At least that's what I've seen it for elsewhere.
Thanks. It's their loss, as I don't bother with items without a price.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, that's kind of... stupid? I mean, I don't think price tags or stickers count as advertisements, do they?

(And because I'm paranoid someone might get the wrong idea: Not saying Dekafox is stupid in any way, shape, or form; I totally believe it could be something like that. I'm just calling the idea that.)

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Agreed, though things that take advantage of legal loopholes usually are because they're things that the regulation or law framers thought no sane person would do usually... and now I remember where I saw the explanation! I'm pretty sure it's Newegg that outright tells you that's why they do it, and I don't know of any other reason to do such a thing. And thinking back it may not be law specifically but something in how their contracts are worded, though same end result.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Ah, a friend tried to get one for me, but they ran out.

One of my favorite variants of He-Man! More for the red-orange armor and yellow Power Sword, though.

Shame I can't afford that high-end one that also lets you make one of my other favorite variants:

Looking forward to mine arriving later this week.

Top Bottom