Gun Culture

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Caribbean countries catch suspiciously huge shipments of guns from Miami all the time. The CIA is obviously still up to some shit.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Every sentence of this story is horrible.

I get that the yards can be pretty big over there, but if the sound of live gunfire is so unremarkable in your neighborhood that your response to it is a mere "C'mon man, I'm trying to sleep." something has already gone wrong well before something like this happens.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, even our local nightly news covered this one. The interview with one of the neighbours was just... just... ******* disgusting. How do you even live in a place that sounds like a warzone, and then normalize it? "There's always shooting, we didn't think nothing was wrong". Holy ****, it's the texas version of the boy who cried wolf.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Gunfire should be an unmistakable signal to the whole neighborhood that someone is having an emergency.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
Just so we're clear, in a civilized society with gun control, you could call the police and have this guy arrested for recreationally firing his gun in a residential neighbourhood. But police won't do anything about that in America, so they asked him to stop doing that, and he murdered their family in retaliation.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm with FB friend on this one. I understand gun ownership on a number of levels, but the idea of recreational shooting in a neighborhood (even with humongous Texas yards) is bizarre to me. These aren't toys.

One thing that needs to be in the conversation is that our gun culture isn't a fixed thing. People like to pretend that our current gun culture was handed down from the heavens and fixed for all time, but it has changed. It has gone really wrong in a lot of places.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
FB friend:
That is complete nonsense. In many areas it is illegal to discharge firearms and you could call the police, and have him arrested. In many areas it could violate noise ordinances, and the police could be called, though it wouldn't likely result in an arrest. If it is legal to shoot on your land, but you are doing so in an unsafe manner, without a proper back stop, you will also be arrested.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And apparently in texas, the right to shoot overrules noise and nuissance, and public safety laws.

Or; the dude was armed, reckless, drunk and the cops didn't want to get murdered: so they let the brown immigrants deal with it on their own.

Patch

Citizen

Some context about the "shooting in the yard" thing:

The Washington Post spoke with a woman who lives across the street from the family:

[Vianey Balderas] said she first heard gunshots that night when a few people were outside. About 20 minutes later, Balderas heard about five more gunshots, then another 10, she told The Post. “When I heard those gunshots, I didn’t think anything of it because in this neighborhood everyone has guns. Every weekend you hear gunshots,” she said in an interview in Spanish. “People shoot in their backyards, after they drink alcohol, men take out guns at house parties and shoot the ground.” Minutes later, Balderas, 27, heard a truck pulling away. She then saw one of her neighbors — the father of the children, she said — outside, begging for someone to call an ambulance.

Local police had received previous reports about Oropeza firing his AR-15 in his yard, which he apparently did “frequently,” according to Sheriff Capers. Authorities found three weapons in a search of Oropeza’s home.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I made a prediction some years back.
We will eventually get some gun control. But its going to come only after we've had so many incidents that there is literally no one left in America who hasn't been impacted in some way or lost a loved one to a psycho with a gun.

The way things are going, I figure we should be within the decade.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Did you account for the more cultish ammosexuals who have lost a loved one to a psycho with a gun but still won't change their tune?

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
bang.PNG

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Something that's been nagging at me for a while now, and I don't know where else to post it... The January 6 rioters. A lot of them had guns, didn't they? During the hearings, there was mention of people not being let into Trump's own rally because they were armed, and of Trump trying (unsuccessfully) to persuade security to let them in anyway. Were the ones that were armed also barred from entering Capitol grounds? Because I know that of the seven people killed that day—four of whom were rioters themselves—the only one who was killed by a gunshot was a rioter who was shot by a cop. And I have a really, really hard time believing that there could be any armed people in a crowd that big, that angry, and that convinced that they were staging a revolution and yet not a single shot was fired.

Top Bottom