Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I'm actually a bit torn between the Quaxly and Sprig finals. Quaxly feels like a dancer in the official art, but on the other hand the "magician" reminded me more of the whole phantom thief archetype in the official art and now I want to get one and maybe name them after Arsene Lupin or something.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Tried breeding again. Got 9 eggs. All of them were Bounsweet. :poop:
Trying again with a smaller party. Probably gonna start up a new game on another account just to breed the duck.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
Sitting here with credits rolling, and I think despite the performance issues and graphical jank it may be my favorite Pokemon game in ages, if not ever. Top 3 at least.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’m eager to see how the story progresses myself and if the 3 paths converge. It seems like there is one big event it’s building up to with in the crater with the Titan Pokemon. I actually am probably further into that Storyline than I should be level wise. Once I figured out that was the mobility enabling story I fast tracked through it and probably was a tad under leveled for the last Titan but found a good strategy from a video.

Find a sturdy ability Naclstack with Salt Cure and get it back to full health by popping potions or lemonades or such and let the Salt Cure effect whittle it down.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I finished all of the gyms (not the elite-4, just the gyms). I have two Team Star things and one Titan before wrapping things up. So I guess I still have a bit yet to go, but I'm getting there.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Tried breeding again. Got 9 eggs. All of them were Bounsweet. :poop:
Trying again with a smaller party. Probably gonna start up a new game on another account just to breed the duck.
Ok, so I must be getting something wrong. I know gender/egg type isn't supposed to matter, so my first group was mostly males, and Bounsweet was one of two females. 2nd attempt was just my male starter and a female rando. No eggs, even w/ boosting power. Ok. Tried once more with my male starter with a full group of all females of diff species plus ice cream boosted Egg power.

20 eggs.

All of them are Rockruffs.

Yeah... think I'm gonna give the breeding a rest until someone figures out exactly what goes into it. Although, I did get a slightly different animation for 4 of the eggs (colored cloudy background instead of whatever area you're in), whatever that means.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Thanks to some battles with my "Rival" I've seen the final form of Quaxly. I have got to get me one of those.

So if anyone has a spare Quaxly (and can tell me how to trade with a specific person), I have a lvl. one Sprigatito just waiting to be trained however you deem fit.

I can get you duck, crock or kitty.. just let me know what you need.

Glitch

Citizen
If Greninja is in this, then there's every chance Ash Greninja is transferable. I'll take it!

Caldwin

Citizen
I can get you duck, crock or kitty.. just let me know what you need.
I need a duck and crock, the duck being a higher priority. I also need to know how trading works.

I've done a few surprise trades, but it looks looks like to trade with a friend, I need some sort of password and I'm guessing some sort of way to invite specific people.

Also, do you have Violet or Scarlet? I have Violet, so if you have Scarlet, I can look up to see what Violet exclusives I have or can easily find.

Also also, I'm going to be on vacation this week. So internet connection may be spotty. So, I guess I'll need some time.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I think that's only for passing on/learning moves, breeding works the same outside of that. So you'd need a female starter or a ditto.
Aah, ok, thanks. I've seen ditto icons on the map, but that was before I knew they disguise themselves. Couldn't find any yesterday. Gotta hunt Area Two some more.

Caldwin

Citizen
Yeah, it was...different. They'll be with other pokemon but acting differently. Like if a Persian is usually aggressive, a Ditto in Persion form would be timid. Or maybe there's one mon staying separate from the pack. It's very subtle.

Also, if you press R1, your lead pokemon will go out and attack everything unless: it gets tired, it goes up against something it can't defeat or...IT RUNS INTO A SHINY. I found a shiny Floette like that. So yeah, R1, good for fast exp. and shiny hunting.

5AA1E089-4F1A-48A7-875C-DA4B7FB99767.jpeg

Also, a few of my nicknames.

4066018D-F5D1-4ED6-B28E-3877945CE6FD.jpeg

Also, that Tarountula (far right second from the bottom) was named Charlotte after the heartbreaking Charlotte's Web.

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
B/c I am a nutjob, I started a new game on Violet under a Japan-region account solely for breeding the starter duck and catching Dittos. So, if anyone wants a duck or an int'l Ditto for easier shiny breeding, lemme know. I'll test out trading with TMM tomorrow.

If you want to catch your own, they're mostly around the tower in Porto Marinara west of the school. Use ZL to target the critter, it'll say before you even attack if it's a Ditto (or ??? if you haven't seen one yet).

Caldwin

Citizen
I'd love a duck. I have a bunch of kitties. I still need to figure out trading.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well I’ve gotten through the main storyline on Scarlet now. And while I think Black and White has the superior story, they did actually craft a pretty good storyline here in S/V. The final leg of the story is surprisingly mature for Pokémon.

But if I were to complain about anything else than the jank animations and graphical work, it’s that most of the characters are rather boring. The majority of the Gym Leaders are uninspired in their designs. Iono is about the best Gym leader in the game just because she feels fun with her influencer look. Conversely another gym leader has me wondering if I need to find his stapler for his overwhelming blandness.

And it sadly extends to the player characters as well. Restricted to 4 seasonal school uniforms and a multitude of minor tweaks that just either look stupid or barely there to begin with.

Caldwin

Citizen
I have one more team star stronghold before doing the finales for each path. I keep switching out my pokemon to keep type advantages for each challenge, but that also leaves me having to do a lot of grinding for levels.

As far as story goes, when it comes to open world games, I usually don't expect much. So I'm actually impressed we got this much. The main thing that kinda grates on me is that it doesn't seem like there are any villains. When it comes to rivals, I can take jerk rivals or friendly rivals. I like them both. But when it comes to the main antagonist gang, I usually prefer a real bad guy. Well-intentioned extremist is okay. But Team Star aren't even villains. They're victims of bullying who were doing the best they could to get away from it...and okay, some members went too far, but for the most part, they aren't villains.

As far as the graphics and performance issues go, I just don't think I'm in any way dependable to talk t. I have seen some performance issues, but your talking about someone who was able to deal with two play throughs of Cyberpunk 2077 on the PS4 from release date and had a darn good time of it. This feels pretty solid. I mean, I'm not blind to the frame rate issues. And having pokemon pop-in right in front of you can be annoying. And clipping can be pretty bad some times. But you're talking to someone who has two play throughs of Cyberpunk 2077 to his name!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Graphics weren't ever that big an issue for me. I had clipping and the usual seeing underneath the ground issues along the rest of the janky animation. and having the Pokemon and other npcs still active as you battle is cool but odd when they wander into the battle ground. Never got it as bad as one I saw on twitter with an NPC directly phasing through the trainers and Pokemon in the battle as he just kept walking straight on.

As far as Team Star, I'm mixed. if anything the Star Bosses were the toughest fights I had and were the few battles that had me needing to try more than once. And I'll admit I did enjoy the storyline they had. But your not wrong about needing an actual evil force to fight off. The last few Teams are more misunderstood people than an actual evil organization. Granted S/M and SW/SH had the larger organizations turn on you, and there's a smidge of that here, but even then most of these are again doing the wrong things for at least the initial right thing.

I feel like this generation had such awesome potential and it just was wasted. The story is almost there amongst the best, the freedom to explore the world is a step up from Arceus, and god there is a ton I've yet to explore on the map. But the graphics, and rather uninspiring constraint of the school setting holding back the games style really hurts it for me. I'd still recommend Legends Arceus as the go to Switch Pokemon title.

Oh and I'll admit, having to go back to initiating a battle to catch after Arceus is feeling like a step back. As is the TM crafting. Though kudos on having the ability to relearn any leveled move when ever you want outside of battle.

Top Bottom