Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Another trailer for Scarlet/Violet! More new Pokemon!
Thoughts:
I assume you can't catch wild pokemon while they're Terastilized?

Oh, you can make your own TMs. That makes one-use TMs...slightly more digestible. I think I still prefer unlimited-use TMs, though.

Girafarig gets a evolution! Farigiraf! I kind of like it's "hoodie". Or...helmet? Kind of looks like a astronaut, a bit...I'm probably STILL never going to use it.

Oh, you can take selfies...that's...going to appeal to someone, I'm sure.

You can find random Pokemon eggs at Picnics. So...is breeding in the game or not?

Sandwiches are this game's curry, I guess.

Last edited:

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Are we gonna see new pokemon in this new Pokemon game?!

(Latest trailer was irrirtating. Not even gonna link it)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
It's weird. I was excited for Sun/Moon. I was excited for Sword/Shield. I was excited for Arceus. But I'm feeling absolutely nothing for this. I can't even put my finger on why. I'm just not on the edge of my seat waiting for the next bit of info like usual.

I mean, I'm still probably going to get Scarlet, but I'm just not gung ho about preordering both versions and getting them day one or anything like that.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I don't feel like they're really doing much to build hype this time. I mean, we haven't even seen the evolved starters yet.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
I rather strongly disagree, tbh. It's less they're not trying to build hype, and more they're trying some new takes on marketing. They started testing some of these non-traditional marketing (For example Wigglet being revealed in a scientific symposium style event, and Iono being revealed as if we were turning into her stream) last generation with things like the 24 hour livestream that revealed Galarian Ponyta.

As for today's trailer, I wasn't disappointed, because I also didn't go in thinking we were going to get a traditional trailer. We just got a 14 minute overview last week, and they've had a system this generation where they do a tease/reveal in the vein of the symposium for Wigglet, the stream for Iono, or the nature documentary for Grafaiai, followed a day or two later with a short pokemon specific trailer that's usually less than a minute long. I expect either by the end of this week or next we'll get the reveal of the Pokemon Iono was teasing as her partner.

As for "Not showing many Pokemon" I feel they've likely overcorrected after Sun/Moon where people complained they showed too much. Before S/M came out we had almost weekly trailers showing new Pokemon and as a result when the games launched there were almost no unknown Pokemon left to discover in game. They clearly want their first open world game where they're touting your ability to explore and discover to have more secrets than usual to encourage that activity.

As for showing the evolutions, that's actually the norm. We usually only get the second stage revealed before launch, and that's usually a little closer to launch than we are out right now.

Anyway, Iono is cute, and has fantastic gremlin streamer energy. I hope she does an ad break mid-battle with us. Plus, since I've been following leaks, I'm really excited for us to actually get to see her partner, since I'm 99% sure it's one of the ones I've been really curious to see.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
What's most interesting to me is that...Iono TALKS. I feel like this is another hint that this game MIGHT have actual voice acting. Which really shouldn't be a big deal, but it'd be a first for a mainline Pokemon game.

I have to wonder if Iono's "civilian" form will play a part in the story? A lot of times, with streamers and idols, you get a story about how they're completely different in real life. Could this be that "shy" girl they talked about in one of the character trailers? Penny? They don't really look alike, but that might be the point.

As for her partner...I have no idea. It's probably a new Pokemon. Some sort of electric snail?

I'm still waiting on the leakers to finally leak ALL the Pokemon for us. I LIKE seeing all the new Pokemon and being able to plan my team a bit ahead of time. And to get to see any neat shinies that might be worth hunting.

I'll admit, I'm not as hyped as I COULD be, either. But, I think Nintendo's keeping a few secrets about the story.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I'm still waiting on the leakers to finally leak ALL the Pokemon for us. I LIKE seeing all the new Pokemon and being able to plan my team a bit ahead of time. And to get to see any neat shinies that might be worth hunting.
This is my attitude as well. I'd rather learn about new pokemon via Nintendo, but new 'mon are the biggest draw for a new gen for me. I don't care about new mechanics or gimmicks, I can learn about that in game. Pokemon are the stars here not whatever the hell the crystal shit is.

The worst (best) thing they ever did to me was in Gen5 limit only new pokemon until post game. I found that so refreshing that I manually impose this rule onto myself in every gen since. Hence why I'm feeling this growing sense of frustration that theyre pussyfooting around introducing new mons.

It doesn't help that I'm finding the human designs in this gen largely offputting. Iono looks cool, but I'm soured on her cuz of the dud of a trailer today.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Iono feels looks/feels like a Splatoon character infiltrating a Pokemon game. Her design is cute, but her personality annoys me. I get that they want to make the game feel modern and appeal to kids, though.

I'd like to know more about version exclusives. Right now, I'm indifferent to which dragon or professor I get. I also want to know what the 2nd evolutions of the starters are, even though I'm definitely starting with the weed cat.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
I saw a comment elsewhere that pointed out Bellibolt is shaped like a squishmallow she now I can't unsee it.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The first thing that came to my mind was Palpitoad.

Yeah, this was a lot of hype for a Pokemon that...I don't particularly care for, design-wise. Maybe it'll get a GREAT evolution, though. *shrugs*

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Another new Pokemon's been revealed!

Who's that Pokemon?
It's Greavard, the Ghost Dog Pokemon!

This one's going to be a fan-favorite. I hope it gains a type when it evolves, but yeah, this one's cute. This is a plushie-tier Pokemon.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Going by Serebii/the Pokedex entry on the website it already HAS a heartbreaking tragic backstory.
Normally, Greavard barely moves, resting peacefully underground. It pokes the topmost part of its head above ground and lights an eerie glow at its tip, then waits for someone to approach. When a person draws near, Greavard jumps out of the ground while letting out a spooky cry that would startle most unsuspecting people. However, it doesn’t appear to do this with ill intent.
Greavard has such a friendly and affectionate personality that paying it even the slightest bit of attention will make it so overjoyed that it will follow you wherever you go. Of all the Pokémon residing in the Paldea region, it is known to be especially easy to befriend. ?However, Greavard will slowly and inadvertently absorb the life-force of those around it, so it’s best not to play with it too much.

In other words, it buries ITSELF. And it loves snuggles...but it's snuggles drains the life of those who pet it.

Do you choose snuggles? Or DEATH?!

(If James of Team Rocket is still around in the Pokemon anime next season, he is DEFINITELY getting this Pokemon as a gag).

Top Bottom