Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Well, I finally beat Shining Pearl. It was kinda sad because I had the same team the entire game right up until the Elite 4 but then had to change out a couple of them to actually beat the Elite 4 and the Champion.

Before the Elite Four
Infernape
Graveler
Manaphy
Luxray
Jirachi
Mew

Final Team
Infernape - Level 76
Graveler - Level 73
Manaphy - Level 72
Luxray - Level 75
Roserade - Level 72 (needed grass type for Champion's Gastrodon)
Bronzong - Level 72 (needed Pokemon with Levitate to survive Champions Garchomp)

Finally beat it. Now to see what the post-game offers.

Caldwin

Citizen
So, now that I've beaten Shining Pearl, I guess I'll give my final(ish) thoughts about it. Before I start, let me just reiterate, I never played the original Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games. I know a lot of people are disappointed that it didn't include more from Platinum, but never having played it, I can't share that context.

Also, one thing I think is important to my views on this is that I came into the whole Pokemon fandom with OR/AS followed up with X/Y. My main views on how those two relate are that they had a lot of the same quality of life perks, same feel with graphics and story...they felt very similar to play only with different characters and geography.

The comparison between BD/SP and Sw/Sh is quite a bit different. Graphics are different, quality of life features are different. Story set up is different. With OR/AS and X/Y feeling so similar and those being the one previous generation I've had experience with to have a generation remake concurrent with the new game (seeing as how Sun/Moon only had the Ultras released in the concurrent generation and that's hardly the same), it was weird to me that this generations concurrent remake would play so vastly different from the main game.

So that's the baggage I'm bringing into this game. Now for the actual review.

Graphics
I honestly didn't mind the chibi graphics while I was playing it. I've played plenty of games with chibi with no problem. But then I just loaded up Shield tonight and it hit me smack in the face just how different it really is. While I don't really find it as a fault with Shining Pearl, if I were in a "choose one to keep and one to never play again," I'd definitely be leaning towards Shield in this respect. Still, graphics aren't everything. So let's move on.

Pokemon Selection
I played a little bit after opening up the National Pokédex. But in full disclosure, I didn't play too much longer as I've kinda grown bored of the grinding I had to do just to beat the champion. My impressions are that BD/SP have some Pokemon that Sword/Shield doesn't have and Sword/Shield have some Pokemon that BD/SP doesn't have. It still comes down to a lot of Pokemon still being held in my Home boxes. This is honestly kind of a wash.

Presentation/Quality of Life
Things Sword/Shield do better: I like that you can see wild Pokemon instead of random encounters. I absolutely did not miss random encounters of the old JRPG's and I really wish BD/SP hadn't thrown back to it. Me, I'll always have the EXP Share on whenever it's offered. I also love the various ways to power level your Pokemon (typically with exp. items that you can get from Max Raid Battles). But the thing that Sword/Shield did right over BD/SP is that they make it optional. Yes I'll always use the Exp. Share if given the option. But I know there's purists out there that (for whatever reason) actually prefer the grind. It shouldn't have been forced. Chairman Rose as the antagonist, okay, I can't defend this idiot. Like, he had a firm hold of the idiot ball and just wouldn't let go. But compared to Team Galactic where you fight a few grunts, infiltrate their (rather simplistic) base and then the leader just up and nopes right out of there the moment you capture the box legendary and you never see him again? Like seriously, where the hell did they go after that? Were they arrested? Did they flee the country? What the heck? Also HP's not breaking when you use them was a nice Quality of Life improvement I'm sorry they took away in BD/SP

Things BD/SP did better: One quality of life thing I liked is that you didn't have to actually capture all of the Pokemon in order to have them in your Pokedex. For one thing, this gave you a way to have the other box Legendary in your dex without actually having to encounter it. Also, I already have several of the Lake Guardian trio in my Shield PC. I just really didn't feel like having to capture all three of them to fill the regional dex so that I could get the nat dex. So I like that they made it easy on you. The Grand Underground is honestly the best kind of "Sidetracked by the Gold Saucer" I've had in a Pokemon game yet. I may continue playing BD/SP for one thing just to fill bits in my Home living dex, but also because the Grand Underground is actually pretty fun.

Final Notes
I am glad that I got Shining Silver. There were little bits that took me back to my days of OR/AS and X/Y. I may even continue playing it for the Grand Underground, I actually did have fun with this.

But if I had to do a "choose one to keep and one to never play again," it's no contest. I'm keeping my Sword/Shield. I'm not even tempted to go Legendary hunting with Shining Silver. Part of that may be because I'm just tired after the grinding I had to do to beat the Champion. Part of it may be because I already have several copies of each of the Legendaries that I already obtained from the previous games and I just don't need the headache. But what it all comes down to is, I can't bring myself to finish absolutely everything this game has to offer whereas if Sword/Shield were to come out with more DLC, I'd probably nab it in a second.

I know this was kinda long-winded. But if anyone wanted it, here's the perception of one person who went into Shining Silver without having played the originals.

Caldwin

Citizen
I just happened to look at page 1 of this thread at the pic of all the starters and it hit me...the only generation I haven't played in some form is Gen5.

Gen 1
Red - 3DS (eShop) - Charmander - 2 gyms defeated
Let's Go Eevee - Eevee - finished

Gen2
Silver - 3DS (eShop) - Cyndaquil - not even to the first gym

Gen3
Alpha Sapphire - Mudkip - finished
Omega Ruby - I honestly forget - finished

Gen 4
Shining Pearl - Chimchar - finished

Gen 5
never played

Gen 6
X - Fenniken -finished
Y - Froakie - finished

Gen 7
Moon - Litten - finished
Sun - Rowlet - finished
Ultra Moon - Popplio - 2 trials completed

Gen 8
Sword - Scorbunny - finished
Shield - Sobble - finished
I may have those two flipped

I say all that to say this...how long before Gen5 remake?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, let's see here: Legends Arceus may or may not throw off the schedule a bit, but if we assume it doesn't, we should get a regular entry in the franchise in the fall of next year October or November-ish. They tend to alternate new generations with remakes. BUT...I have a feeling we might get a Platinum remake instead of a Gen 9 quite yet. Especially so quickly after the "experimenting" they seem to be doing in Legends Arceus. They likely want to see how people react to some of the changes in that game and see if they can work them into Gen 9. Also, we've had Mystery Dungeon DX and New Snap the last two years in the spring, and Legends next year, so I'm guessing we're getting another spinoff in the Spring from here on out. So my completely pointless guess is...

Spring 2022: Legends Arceus
Fall 2022: "Pure" Platinum

Spring 2023: A spinoff (Let's say...Detective Pikachu 2?)
Fall 2023: Gen 9 Games

Spring 2024: A spinoff. ( Maybe... Let's Go G2 Mareep and Marill)
Fall 2024: Gen 9 DLC(s)

Spring 2025: A spinoff (Possibly...A Pokemon Ranger sequel?)
Fall 2025: Gen 5 remakes

Mind you, that's if they don't introduce a Switch successor before then. 2025 is my best guess for Gen 5 remakes.

Last edited:

Glitch

Citizen
Pokemon Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness for the eshop maybe with connectivity to Pokemon Home.
Platinum Episode DLC for BDSP featuring new forms for the legendaries.

Caldwin

Citizen
You didn't care for Gen 2 much, did you?
I didn't care for Gen 1 much either unless you count Let's Go Eevee.

Even Gameboy Color is more limited on its colors than the NES. I can forgive that with games I have nostalgia for (Links Awakening, Metroid II). But when the Pokémon games I've played started with the graphics and quality of life improvements started in the DS generation, Gameboy games are a bit harder to go back to.

Gen 2 had limited color, menu icons that made it hard to tell what Pokémon you were looking at and grinding that honestly was just to much, especially Gen 1 with no EXP Share.

Caldwin

Citizen
Most Pokémon Black games I'm seeing on eBay is either close to $70 once shipping is added or it's early in the bidding process. I may see if the 3DS eshop has it for better after work.

Is the 3DS e-shop even still up and running?

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Black and White were never on the 3DS shop anyway. They were DS games.

I think I have an extra copy of Black sitting around, if you don't mind it not having the case or paperwork. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Glitch

Citizen
I wouldn't object to DLC content for BD/SP that brought in Pokémon from Gens 5, 6 or 7.
Also 8 and Legends variant forms, which I hope will come to BDSP.

If only because you wouldn't have to buy the DLC anyway given they updated Sword and Shield to allow you to transport them from Home.
Couldn't hurt to upgrade the Underground bases to bring them in line with ORAS and have more trainers with optional double, triple, rotation and inverse battles, complete with mega evolution and Z moves.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have been playing a ton of Go lately, and getting a lot of new pokemon! I got my Ninetails yesterday and today a Flaffy.

Caldwin

Citizen
Like, seriously, shiny charm, foreign Rookidee and freaking countless boxes of released Rookidees later... I still don't have a shiny. Seriousl, is Rookidee shiny locked in Shield or something?

Glitch

Citizen
Electric Grass Voltorb.

There was a leak claiming the starters which are just Rowlet, Cyndaquil and Oshawatt will have new evolutions alongside many other old Pokemon, so far Growlthie, Zorua and Braviary have been revealed and there's new evolutions for Basculin, Stantler and Scyther.
I've done six gyms in Shining Pearl but don't feel like finishing it.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I really hope they don't make us choose between the Diamond and Pearl Clans, like in Fire Emblem or something. I don't want to have to play through this more than once...

One line in this trailer is kind of interesting (at 0:44):
"Almighty Sinnoh made Hisui vast so Pokemon could live freely throughout"
So...I'm guessing Arceus has another name...Sinnoh. Which is probably alluding to a alternate reading that's more like Shin-oh (or True King or God King). The Japanese do love their puns and double-meanings. Apparently, Shin'o can also mean "epicenter" like in a earthquake.

Oh, and if you have save data from Diamond or Pearl, you can get a special mission where you can catch Darkrai. Along with some costumes.

Caldwin

Citizen
So, I just started a game of Black. Thanks TMM! I started with a Tepig named Snorts. I'm having a blast...though I can't wait until until I get the EXP share. I'm telling ya, you get used to the quality of life improvements of recent generations...

Oh no! I just realized...HM slaves!

Well, I started off with OR/AS and X/Y...so it won't be the first time I've had to have an HM slave.

Having a blast so far.

Top Bottom