Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

wentwood

Citizen
Doing a refresher on the episodes of Journeys I saw on Pokemon TV (the 1st 14).

At 15 I'll see the rest on DVD. (Including Master Journeys)

Also on Episode 21 of Sun And Moon. Racing To A Big Event was the last one I saw on Pokemon TV. Now to finish Sun And Moon on DVD. (Up to Ultra Legends)

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
...This is SUCH a frivolous lawsuit, that I have to wonder if it's some sort of advertisement campaign.

Nevermind that these brands have been around for over 20 years. Nevermind that "Monster" is too generic to trademark on it's own. But...these are video games, not drinks, they wouldn't even be in the same "class" of trademark, if I understand it right.

Actually, wait, when did Monster Energy Drinks first come out? *Does a google* April 2002? Pokemon definitely predates the energy drink, premiering in 1996. Monster Hunter first came out in 2004 so there's a..."better" case there, I guess, but that's still ridiculous.

Still, weird lawsuit.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'd love to see a counter suit. Make Monster pay the lawyer fees for such a frivolous lawsuit.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
RF4KWad.jpeg

wentwood

Citizen
Pokemon X Y Z (Series XIX Set 2) came in so now watching Indigo League - Journeys on DVD and resuming Advance Challenge.

wentwood

Citizen
For the Viz DVD of Journeys the "A Netflix Original Series" bumper has been removed.

Past episodes

Netflix US no longer has episodes Pre Generation 8. This is why I own up to Ultra Legends on DVD.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Let's talk about Scarlet/Violet lore theories! This is probably going to age terrible once the DLC comes out, but I just want to talk about it a little.

What are the 4 Logo Symbols?
pokemon-violet-logo-medium-up-2x-1.png

This is going to be a little controversial, but I think the "time travel" in the game is actually real. Or, more accurately, that they're alternate dimensions that are "future" and "past" versions of the "main" universe.

Kind of like Legends Arceus. We know from other games that Fallers are people that get sent from older games to different future games...that are basically treated as alternate universes. Like Looker. I think that's what we're looking at with Paradox Pokemon. All the Paradox Pokemon are "real", but they're from alternate dimensions. And since there's a infinite multiverse, SOMEWHERE out there is ANY Pokemon that anyone could possibly imagine. The Area Zero machine was just bringing the closest possible match it could find from some alternate dimension.

Basically, Paradoxes are Pokemon from other dimensions that just so happen to look like other Pokemon. It might just be another example of convergent evolution, which is a bit of a theme this generation. With Pokemon like Toedscruel and Wiglett. Sort of like Ultra Beasts that just happen to look like Pokemon we already know.

If you "read" these symbols like you would Japanese writing (Up and down, then right to left) then you basically "translate" the logos as: The Ancient Empire used Herba Mystica and the Future Empire used Terastral energy.

I think there were actually TWO different civilizations basically using different methods to create super-pokemon. A Future Empire that is using Terastal energy and a Ancient Empire that is using Herba Mystica. Maybe they were trading Pokemon with each other, trying to use both methods in tandem to create a ultimate Pokemon?

The Top Right "4 Sectors": I think this is the symbol for the Ancient Empire. We see this symbol in the Book and can actually go into the same cave in order to find Iron Valiant and Roaring Moon close to Lab 3.
4lyaobpqp55a1.jpg

Now, I'm not sure if this is the Ancient Paldean Empire that ALSO received the 4 Ruinous Pokemon, or if it's an even older empire. It's possible that it even has ties to the Sinnoh people from Legends Arceus...which is baseless speculation since I don't think we've ever seen this symbol in that game.

The Bottom Right "Swirl": This is going to be one of the bigger reaches, but I think this is supposed to be the symbol for Herba Mystica. As far as I know, this is the only symbol we never see directly in the game. Maybe.
lpha8cpqp55a1.jpg

If you look at the "ribbon" on the page of the Book about Herba Mystica, it KIND of looks like the Swirl. And the page border would be the "corner" that intersects it.

The Top Left "Hourglass": We see this on a plate in the Book and in Area Zero right before you get to the bottom level. I think this is going to be the symbol of the Future Empire. The book mentions it being made of a metal that's unknown to science. I think that's because it really does come from a Future-styled world. The "00" just makes me think of future or robot themes...mostly due to the anime Cyborg 009. The symbol just feels like it's trying to evoke "future math" to me.

The Bottom Left "Hexagon": I think this is probably the Terastral phenomenon symbol.

The Four Treasures of Ruin Pokemon!
I'm still not 100% sure if this quartet actually CAUSED the disaster that lead to the downfall of the Ancient Paldean Empire or if they were VICTIMS along with the Emperor. I kind of wonder if we'll meet a Quartet Master that actually CAUSED the destruction of the Ancient Paldean Empire.

I also have to wonder if they're actually kind of like the 3 Johto Beasts and are actually TRANSFORMED versions of other Pokemon. It'd be pretty easy to retcon them into not just being items that came to life, but item-Pokemon that got filled with dark energy and evolved differently.

I think it's also possible the Ancient Paldean Emperor messing with the crystals in Area Zero might have actually caused the fire. The Four Treasures just got blamed for it...maybe. Framed for a crime they never committed.

Let's take a look at what they represent and what other Pokemon they MIGHT come from.

Wo-Chien (Book Snail)-"Your Knowledge is Lost"-...Actually, it's weird, we've never had a Book Pokemon. Not even a Necronomicon reference Pokemon or anything. I could see it existing, though. Mold has destroyed the books.

Chien-Pao (Sword Leopard)-"Your Warriors are Defeated"-Honedge fits pretty well. A "broken" sword.

Ting-Lu (Bowl Moose)-"Your People are Starving"-Sinistea fits. A cracked pot or cup.

Chi-Yu (Magatama Goldfish)-"Your Gods Abandon You"-Carbink or Lunatone or Minior orDarmanitan would kind of fit. The purity of a religious item has been stained by fire.

I'll admit, I'm overthinking this one. But, it's pretty rare for Pokemon to be outright villainous. And the things Raifort has to say after you catch each one are kind of interesting. It just seems to be these Pokemon represent things that were done TO them, not things that they CAUSED. Like Raifort herself, I wonder if these Pokemon are just misunderstood.

Generation X will be the end of this arc?
Now, this is getting pretty deep into baseless speculation, but I think it's interesting.

Have you heard about the Archeus and the Four Ethers theory?

Some things to read/watch:

The Archeus is the foundation of the universe and life. Kind of like quintessence.

The Four Ethers are four substances which makes up the Archeus. Think of these like protons, neutrons, and electrons to the Archeus' atom. These are: Life, Light, Chemical, and Reflective.

Basically, it's the idea that all the gimmicks we've been getting since XY are related to some of the Super Pokemon AND to Arceus itself. Most of these also just so happen to be Dragon-type Pokemon. AND they all seem to have some connection to other dimensions or other times. They all exist OUTSIDE the "main" Pokemon World.

So, it would break down to be:

Light-Ultra Necrozma-Z Crystals-Dragon/Psychic

Chemical-Eternatus Eternamax-Dynamax Energy-Dragon/Poison

Reflective-Terapagos-Terastral Energy-Unknown but possibly Dragon/Something.

And then there's Mega Evolution. There's not really a single Pokemon that's the "source" of that gimmick in the same way that the other gimmicks do, but there's some decent candidates:

A New Pokemon-I find this unlikely since Gamefreak doesn't seem to like Mega Evolution. I doubt they'd introduce a new Legendary that's the source of Megas, but it would probably work the best if they do.

Mega Rayquaza-Dragon/Flying. And like the others, it uses the method to change forms. It's also the most powerful of the possibilities. It's also the only one that has a Mega Stone as a part of it's body. The only problem is...it's not the source like the others. And there's NO connection to other dimensions.

Complete Zygarde-Dragon/Ground. Another strong possibility. And it has a hexagon pattern that's important due to the Terastral energy this generation. In theory, it should also have a lot of Infinity Energy, the energy that powered the Kalos Ultimate Weapon that...may have started this entire saga. Again, though, no tie to alternate dimensions...or even Mega Evolution, directly. I think it's more likely than Xerneas/Yveltal, unless they get a new form, despite them powering the Kalos Ultimate Weapon.

AZ's Floette-This one's kind of interesting. Some people are speculating that AZ's Floette...is actually a Paradox Pokemon. It has a "title", The Eternal Flower, like other Paradoxes like Iron Treads or Great Tusk. And it's possible that instead of resurrecting HIS Floette, AZ actually brought a Floette from alternate reality that never died, instead. The Kalos Ultimate Weapon is designed to look like a Floette. Also, AZ...Area Zero? There might be a connection here. But...except for probably having a lot of Infinity Energy, it's not really connected to Megas at all. Also, not a dragon.

Deoxys-I just find it interesting that the Kalos Ultimate Weapon MIGHT have drawn it here. I COULD see a new form of Deoxys that ties it closer to Megas. And according to ORAS, Mega Stones sometimes fall from outer space. And Deoxys came inside the Great Asteroid Delta. So...there COULD be a connection, here. Especially with that crystal in the middle of his chest, and it does change form by touching a rock. Again, not a dragon and no tie to alternate realities...but there IS a connection to outer space, which might be close enough.

But, it's also possible Mega Stones...aren't actually connected to this Fourth Ether at all. It's possible we'll have to wait until Gen X to see the Life Ether. Or maybe this is all completely wrong and it's not what they're doing at all.

Or it's possible we've actually been working our way through the "Four Worlds" instead.
XY would be Asiyah, with Zygarde concerning itself with protecting the physcial world. SM would be Yetzirah, with Necrozma (a "angel") looking and studying the world Arceus has created from outside of it. SWSH would be Beri'ah, with Eternatus being the "hand" that created things out of nothing, existing in the quintessence outside of reality. SV would be Atziluth, where Terapagos turns energy into physical form. So, then Gen X might be Adam Kadmon, where we MIGHT see the true form of Arceus.

Or...Could all four actually be enemies of Arceus? Maybe Arceus is actually basically one of many "gods". Perhaps even...a rogue "Legendary" Ultra Beast. We saw in USUM, Ultra Beasts either all come from alternate realities...or another possibility is that Ultra Beasts all "infect" and take over different worlds in order to reproduce. Basically, Ultra Beasts might be cosmic space viruses that use entire WORLDS to make more of themselves. Like how a virus infects and explodes out of a cell in order to reproduce. That MIGHT be what we saw Guzzlord in the process of doing on a alternate Alola.

So, what if Arceus is the only Ultra Beast who DOESN'T do that? What if Arceus is "reproducing"...by creating other Pokemon? What if the God of the Pokemon World is actually...a mutant Ultra Beast? And what if these Fallers that Arceus may or may not be sending to alternate universe...are actually being sent to those universe to "strengthen" them to prevent a invasion from outside the Pokemon Multiverse? Like how the player in Legends Arceus helps to create more Pokemon Trainers by teaching humans to trust and work with Pokemon...and therefore more strong warriors (or "white blood cells") that can fight back a potential Ultra Beast invasion?

Gen X could see a "Kirby Star Allies"-style LORE drop that kind of explains what all this multiverse stuff actually means.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
Pre order placed for

Pocket Monsters
Series XXIV
Master Journeys

on DVD today.

That leaves Ultimate Journeys (Series XXV) in 2024 on DVD to finish Ash and Pikachu's journey.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Nope. One would think it would be pretty soon, though. No news, as far as I'm aware.

Although, some people are speculating that that save data corruption glitch I mentioned back on page 45 of this thread might have something to do with it. They think that if some people are getting the glitch from downloading the DLC or connecting to Pokemon Go, then they COULD get the same save data corruption by connecting to Home. If that IS the problem....Gamefreak's got some major patching to do. Again, this is all just speculation, though.

Otherwise, I really don't know what the hold up is. There's really no good reason why the game shouldn't be compatible with Home right on release day.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The reason they don't do it immediately on release day is so people can't import all their godkiller pokemon they built up and immediately start thrashing all the kids just starting out with only in-game pokemon. The now-standard limited dex reduces that somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it, and this gives the kids a chance to get their feet under them first. It also prevents people steamrolling the raids etc with already fully built level 100s right out of the gate, so it makes that content last longer. It also means people can't ignore raids because they already imported that pokemon from a different game, so they have to raid to get it again if they want to use it. So technically, there's no reason, but they have several reasons from a policy and play experience perspective.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I guess I see these games as single-player games first with multiplayer as a side thing. I mean...unless you go online, you're not really going to run into people that are going to ruin the game with over-leveled Pokemon. It's only a issue in ONE very specific mode of this game, which you don't even HAVE to interact with in order to play the actual game. This isn't a MMORPG with griefers that can attack other players, so just having the over-leveled Pokemon doesn't seem like a issue to me.

And even then, if the argument is that the adults would have over-powered Pokemon....that's still a issue. The REALLY competitive guys probably have Max IV level 100 Pokemon within a week of the game releasing. There really isn't that big of a window where the kids are "safe", anyway.

And the raids actually ENCOURAGE having level 100 Pokemon, because some of the tougher raids are almost impossible without them.

I don't know, it just feels limiting for the sake of being limiting. The limitation doesn't really add much, for me. I guess it might encourage people to try to use the new Pokemon instead of just their old teams. But, personally, I always try to have a team of new Pokemon for each main game. And...again, it's a single player game, so if people have more fun steamrolling the League with their old team...why not let them? SV prided itself on players being able to choose where they wanted to go, so let them choose how they want to play.

And...I feel like the "real" reason is that Gamefreak just doesn't have enough staff to actually get Home up and running. I'm still thinking that there probably is some programming problem on their end. They're a creative bunch...but they're poor craftsmen. We've seen that with how SV released. They are very talented at story and world-building...but unfortunately not so good at programming and bug-testing.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Having the seven star raids being the only way to get older Pokemon not in the Paldea dex right now was supposed to be an attract to participate in them. But for me, it's just making me angry the more we see it and Home compatibility prolonged. Lv 100 Pokemon generally bum me out to catch anyways. It effectively takes out training and getting to know a Pokemon. And with the Raids you really need to sink your time into a strategy and train something and hope to heck you don't get stuck with someone totally unprepared. And if I'm being truthful, that's usually me. I'm not one to excessively power level a certain Pokemon straight to lv 100. If I have a level 100 it's because I have enjoyed playing with it over the course of the full game. These Raids feel like you need some specific Pokemon most of the time just to come out on top.

I have no doubt Home Compatibility is being a pain right now since they both have programming issues and they have too many cross game issues with compatibility. Sw/Sh with Gigantimax Pokemon, increasing number of regional forms, Terra Types, Moves and abilities added and lost, with every game we keep adding a new twist of Data that needs to be kept up with. It's why when you tend to add an older Pokemon to Sword and Shield you can't go back to the Let's Go games with them again. There's more data that those games can keep up with most likely.

wentwood

Citizen
Pocket Monsters
Master Journeys
Series XXIV
Viz Release

wentwood

Citizen
Already placed my Pre order for Master Journeys this month.

42 more Episodes coming to DVD in June. That brings the total to 90 released so far.

Netflix has yet to finish Ultimate Journeys darn it.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Pokemon Home compatibility with Scarlet and Violet is finally coming May 23!

You'll also get the gift of hidden ability starters by connecting your game. And they're letting you re-learn moves in Home itself. And Gimmighoul Roaming Form from Go will be transferable into the main games.

Also, use the code: GETG0LD to get a gold bottle cap in your game.

Top Bottom