Gobots and Machine Robo News & Discussion

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Watch the second video above and you can see them in some kids hands.

-ZacWilliam, bigger than I expected.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Yeah, from that video it looks like the "apple" (TOMATO) is about the size of a tennis ball, maybe? So the robot might be around 5-6 inches tall?

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So this showed up on BBTS
I wonder if Action Toys lost the license? Also, has anyone bought Megahouse figures before? How is the quality? I don't like to pass up new Machine Robo/Gobot offerings, but when it's a character I have several iterations of, it's hard to drop that kind of money. Now, if they did Leo Tribe Sofia...

Dake

Citizen
Didn't even realize it was a different manufacturer. I just assumed it was a big version like the earlier Cy-kill. Interesting.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wonder if Action Toys lost the license? Also, has anyone bought Megahouse figures before? How is the quality? I don't like to pass up new Machine Robo/Gobot offerings, but when it's a character I have several iterations of, it's hard to drop that kind of money. Now, if they did Leo Tribe Sofia...
Ah, finally.

I was wondering if they were even capable of acquiring a star of his calibre.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen

Yes, I bought Megahouse's release of Galvion's Circus 1 (https://www.hlj.com/variable-action-hi-spec-galvion-circus-1-meg81633). It looks really nice and is well-painted, but it doesn't feel up to the task of repeated transformations in the way that Transformers do. I haven't transformed him too many times, but I have read that the paint in some areas can chip off. Still, they are a decent enough company, IMO.

I can't tell though: is this a straight re-release of Action Toys' Rod Drill, or is it a completely new tooling/offering?

Haywire

Citizen
I can't tell though: is this a straight re-release of Action Toys' Rod Drill, or is it a completely new tooling/offering?
It's definitely new. There are a couple design cues on the Action Toys figure that aren't present on this one. Since they're both based on the anime, they have some similarities, like the optional long drill, but they connect differently, too.

Haywire

Citizen
Battle Hackers?!

Wait, did they release the original series, and I just missed it?

Yeah, Machine Robo Revenge of Cronos came out on Blu-Ray earlier this year. Discotek released it as an SD on BD, so it's not remastered or anything. It's a 2-disc set, but all the episodes of the series are on the first disc, the 2nd disc is for some OVAs focused on Leina Stol. They look good, at least as good as the old CPM dvds, but my blu-ray player has trouble displaying the subtitles correctly sometimes. Still worth it to be able to see the whole series!

It's still available on Amazon, and I would assume other online retailers.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Check the first post on Page 1.
tumblr_pq393alIwy1qfxeen_540.jpg

ZacDeath

WWOPD
Citizen
Revenge of Cronos was something I have been meaning to check out for a long time. I finally got around to watching some of it on Youtube. I am kind of disappointed, it seems only about half the characters were from the figure line. The Machine Robo toy line was mostly Earth vehicles but they used mostly the weird space ones. First thing I did was look up what the figures of the main villians looked like, and it turns out they were just created for the show, there is no figures. Just the monster combiner and the other monster gobots.

Haywire

Citizen
Revenge of Cronos was something I have been meaning to check out for a long time. I finally got around to watching some of it on Youtube. I am kind of disappointed, it seems only about half the characters were from the figure line.

The earlier episodes are mostly Jet and Drill and the Stol family, with guest appearances from various Machine Robos. Later in the series, the other Robos figure more prominently in the stories. But, yeah, the villains are largely underrepresented in the toy line. I think some people, myself included, hoped that Action Toys would have corrected this in their Machine Robo series, but it doesn't seem that will happen.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Villains being underrepresented in toy form is a very common thing in Japanese toylines, especially back in the 1980s. The heroes are what the toylines focus on because the heroes sell and are what companies want kids to get into as role models, rather than the bad examples set by the villains.

Even to this day, Super Sentai barely does any villain toys. If Sentai fans want more villain toys, they have to get them from Power Rangers instead.

As such, Transformers having a more balanced amount of good guy and bad guy toys makes it something of an outlier in Japanese toylines. Even back in the days of Diaclone, there were a LOT more toys of the good guy Diaclone mechs than there were toys of the bad guy Waruder mechs.

Top Bottom