Ghostbusters General

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
All things being equal I prefer physical media but when it’s between a $35 UHD disc and a $5-$8 digital purchase it’s not very equal at all…

That's fair, although just keep in mind some of the additional, never-before-seen, content that's coming in this new set. They also include the original theatrical stereo audio for both GB1&2.

SPECIAL FEATURES DISC 1 – GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)
  • NEW: Rare 114-minute Preview Cut of the Film (in Standard Definition) – an unearthed early cut of the film with alternate takes, additional scenes, early effects and more. A unique must-see experience for any Ghostbusters fan!
  • With optional commentary by Associate Producer Joe Medjuck and Editor Sheldon Kahn
  • NEW: “Reitman Squared” Scene Commentary – a look at two scenes from the film with Ivan & Jason Reitman
  • NEW: Dana’s Lost Auditions – eight auditions for the role of Dana Barrett, featuring Denise Crosby, Kelly LeBrock and more!
  • Special thanks to Brandon Kleyla
  • NEW: “Ghostbusters: Behind Closed Doors” Documentary – a 90-minute documentary about the making of Ghostbusters and the history of the franchise!
  • NEW: Ghostbusters Dailies – over an hour of raw dailies, encompassing 7 scenes from the film
  • NEW: Full TV Broadcast Version of the Film (in Standard Definition) – featuring alternate TV-safe takes
SPECIAL FEATURES DISC 2 – GHOSTBUSTERS II
  • NEW: “Reitman Squared” Scene Commentary – a look at two scenes from the film with Ivan & Jason Reitman
  • NEW: 19 Deleted Scenes – a collection of never-before-seen deleted scenes!
  • NEW: Ghostbusters II Soundtrack Promo – a scene from the film with commentary from composer Randy Edelman
  • NEW: Full TV Broadcast Version of the Film (in Standard Definition) – featuring alternate TV-safe takes

Questionable Meats

Citizen
Man, the amount of blacklash that Feig got from his passive-aggressive tantrum was interesting to watch. Though I admit both sides were equally toxic at times in the responses.

Then his whole "man y'all are takin a lot of time out of your christmas to respond to this, lol haters" spiel, like that wasn't his goal. Well alrighty. Hope he enjoys his digital download inclusion. Cripes, no wonder no one likes the guy.

Anyway I might pick this up, I was pretty please with Afterlife and its conclusion to the original movies, and am curious where the GB franchise will go from here. Maybe they could bring in some of the cast from the 2016 movie and give them some actually decently written dialogue, and a new role to play. I wouldn't mind that.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Holtzmann is about the only character I would welcome back to the Franchise. Maybe Patty too. She was fun too.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
And due to that I finally got to see it and now can actually wander into this thread without worrying about spoilers.

So uh, yeah. That was a pretty ******* fun movie. Yes it got pretty memberberries in the last 4th but they were important memberberries not just for the movie but for letting the series go forward. My only gripe is that why in gods name would you waste JK Simmons in a movie. Why would you cast JK Simmons in a super important role only to have him ripped in half 10 seconds later. Maybe they want to use him going forward as a ghost, I dunno, felt weird man. Still I ******* loved it, even the corny bits.

Although putting a timestamp of 2134 on the next major event probably wasn't the smartest idea. I mean you gotta give yourself some wiggle room.

[edit] I will say it was a missed, purposefully missed I'm sure, opportunity to not mention the 2016 movie as being part of the legacy of fame of the Ghostbusters about how "They even got a movie about it! They took some weird liberties with the cast and plot however". Like I'm not fan of the 2016 movie but having it be something that happened in universe completely fits.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
tbf they were under so much stuff that I'm surprised anybody knew who it was. They literally could have cast almost anyone given the getup.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Although putting a timestamp of 2134 on the next major event probably wasn't the smartest idea. I mean you gotta give yourself some wiggle room.
They already digitally futzed the 2021 dates from originally being 2020, they can always changed it again later.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They already digitally futzed the 2021 dates from originally being 2020, they can always changed it again later.

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy with no "End of the World" events for the foreseeable future. Genre movies tend to go to that well way too often. Let the stakes be high personally for the protagonists, but not universe ending.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Now that Gozer has been separated into hundreds of different traps, I'd like to see what Ivo Shandor could do now that his body's ripped in half and he's really, truly dead.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
While I didn't realize it was that particular actor in the film, looking at photos now I can see them in there. Think it makes it extra cool that it was an actor I like.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Just saw it. Wondered if I'd like it better than No Way Home since I just watched it before. Hmm, I think Afterlife made me feel more comforted, loved. Like, I knew what to expect and had the reverse effect of getting your heart ripped out.

Phoebe was phenomenal. Loved her. Podcast was great (Stantz and Spengler were my fave Ghostbusters anyway. Venkman can go lie in a ditch. Winston's ok.). Trevor and Lucky are the most normal and, well, not as interesting.

Thinking of Paul Rudd as the counterpart to Tully makes me laugh out loud. He's a seismologist not an English teacher so I did NOT expect that kind of conjugation.

I'm not too happy with OG revelations. Even Winston's was kinda odd. Sad about Janine but I guess the crush really was just in the cartoon and, movie verse wise, she was into Tully.

Muncher was neat. Looked like a ... What do you call those small mite things? Tardigrade? That eyeball ghost was an original toy too, right? The marshmallow minis were cute and could have done more.

Overall, rather simple but felt comfortable. Lucky has a toy, right? I recall only seeing Phoebe, Podcast and one other kid toy.

Er, from the past posts, memberberries was started in South Park, right? Like, the show coined the term / made the concept?

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’d say Janine was into Egon in the original movie. The post credits scene starting with that deleted scene from the original would certainly point that way. But by the second movie she’s given up trying for Egon.

Glitch

Citizen
The bug eye ghost was actually a toy in the eighties The Real Ghostbusters toyline, this is it's film debut which is maybe because the filmmakers had that toy.

Janine had a obvious crush for Egon in the first one, he seemed to show a lack of interest, she shown some concern for Luis in the first one but he was possessed by the gatekeeper, I figure she worked for him after the first film and developed feelings but waited for him to notice her and for his crush on Dana to simmer.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Finally got the team together.

Also had to creatively shoot this to hide the incompleteness of the build a figure XD.

Attachments

• 20220106_232312.jpg
    20220106_232312.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 54

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Enjoyed the movie for the most part, and it's a good overall recipe for a distant sequel. Bit of a tightrope to walk in basically reusing the villain from the original, but there's plenty of things that could be done with that character and its lore, and it's used well here. I do wish the actual threat of it had been more real, because the most Gozer did was rip Shandor in half and then... lounge about. Did enjoy the ghosts and undead showing up, especially the toy-based eyeball ghost. (Where was Fearsome Flush, you cowards)

Great uses of the original gear -- I've very much turned into a periphery fan, so IDK if any of this has been done before, but the RC trap, the use of the proton pack blast to charge up the capacitors, the damn field of ghost traps, all good stuff.

Just some weak spots and clunky sequencing/writing, like Ray carrying on an entire expository conversation with a total stranger (prior to her revealing who she was), the mom being a pretty nothing character (at least not getting in the way), the impression that the kids didn't know about the family beyond the three of them (IDK how it is in American families, I guess), and a few odd choices after the big fight (like the mom chatting up Gary before going to get closure with Ghost Egon).

Speaking of Ghost Egon, things were progressing so well without one visibly showing up (not counting the haunted lamp) I was actually thrown a bit when they DID have him show up. And at first I was like "well, of course they would." and immediately after "well, duh, this is a movie ABOUT ghosts, what else did you expect". Glad he stuck around to have a moment with everyone, including Trevor (by then my reaction was "oh yeah, he's related too, right").

But the way it all comes together is great and has a lot of heart. Thought Podcast was going to be a bit grating at first, but he does just enough and comes off as endearing. Trevor and Lucky kind of lift right out (I think Finn may have been miscast here?), but at least they contribute well to the main plot. And of course Mckenna Grace is amazing, and I hope she does a lot of stuff going forward. Carrying something of such narrative and brand significance is A Lot, but she does it effortlessly.

Interesting sequel hook (not sure why it's a firehouse again instead of a Starbucks? I may have missed a detail). I did want to see Peter MacNicol at some point, but maybe next time.

MrBlud

Citizen
Yeah, Ray’s Starbucks comment does not flow into the stinger at all. I was very confused.

Winston could’ve definitely bought it and removed the Starbucks but it’s very clear NOTHING has been in there for decades so…

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
the impression that the kids didn't know about the family beyond the three of them (IDK how it is in American families, I guess),
Well, I mean, not all American families, but it was obvious that Egon was estranged from his daughter and she would do her level best to never talk about him.

If I had to nitpick and find an issue, which I hate to do because I absolutely love this movie, it just seems like outside of Phoebe and the mother, the other characters just didn't get much time to develop. Like, in the origina, it was kinda obvious the Peter was the center of the movie, but the others still got screen time and development. Here it's kind of telling that you had the "oh yeah, he's related too" reaction. I kinda had the same reaction myself.

But that's enough nitpicking from me, because over all I absolutely loved this movie.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I'm guessing either Dan was ad-libbing the starbucks part and they didn't edit it out for some reason or the idea of showing the firehouse came after everything else was done and they forgot? I dunno. It was an odd bit but hell Ivo Shandor showing up in the flesh was an odd thing as hes supposed to be dead

Top Bottom