Ghostbusters General

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Sour grapes aside I am hyped for Thursday to come! I'll let my own hopes be lifted or shattered thank you much!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
This Thursday? Wow! That's lucky timing. I just got paid and I'm off this week. I'll definitely have to check this out now.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Apparently there's enough demand within the family to see this that we're planning a group thing.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. The kids weren’t a drawback at all. Phoebe practically stole the show as her mini Egon self. Podcast thankfully wasn’t overtly annoying and actually had a bit of fun overall. Can’t say much about Trevor and Lucky other than just being flirty teens.

Rudd’s Gary Gruberson was a good way to introduce the kids to the world of Ghostbusters being the goofy summer school science teacher GB fanboy that I’m sure a few of us could well be IRL. Bit down on the mom Callie, as she feels like a constant negative for most of the film. It’s actually understandable why she is like she is, but other than the relationship between her and Gary she spends most of the movie being a downer.

But I gotta say I wish the overall plot was a bit more original.

pretty much did a Force Awakens and ripped the main antagonistic plot from the first movie whole sale. But I feel like this did it with a lot of respect towards the original. The Shandor Mines are where Ivo had the odd steel made for the building in the original. Egon had found out and realized that it was a back up emergence point and took everything and made sure that Gozer wouldn’t come through again. But he burns the old team and his family to do so.

But sadly Janine isn’t Callies mom so we never know who actually got Egon to get physical. :D

And unlike the last movie the cameos mean so much more. The only important no show sadly is Moranis. But other than that we do get a little bit where each of the old crew is these days.

But overall I found it to be a much better movie than 2016. There were a few moments near the end that had me tearing up. Especially the dedication to Ramis at the end. And with the post credit scene hopefully it gets us set for something a tad more original next time.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I do feel it's a bit slow to get going, and it's obviously not going to be as quotable as the first two, but all in all I enjoyed it, and do hope we get a sequel.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Well I mean it's too early to say I guess, but I somehow doubt this one is going to get the same... backlash Answer the Call got, so we have a better chance at a sequel this time.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean: I get the difference between the movies. But answer was genuinely funny and enjoyable, and the crap it got was largely from a bunch of panty-knots who couldn't stand to see women playing in the role.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Eh the comedy is actually what didn’t hit for me in Answer the call. It wasn’t horrible but I never particularly got into it. Being women is all good but McCarthy and Wig never have been that funny to me in anything and that continued in 2016. Had no issues with McKinnon and Jones though. And the over the top moron acting from Hemsworth was horrible. Between him and every other male presence in the movie it felt very hateful. You don’t see that in any of the other Ghostbusters movies.

Janine was smart and competent and Dana was capable in her own right. I’ll admit neither got to step up into the fight so much but given the chance either felt like they could of grabbed a pack and helped the guys. In answer the call we have to worry about whether or not Kevin wouldn’t hurt himself or others. The team actually denied him the chance to fight with them out of lack of confidence in his ability.

Afterlife finds the perfect balance. Both Chloe and Lucky are just as up to the call as their Male teammates if not more than. That’s not saying Podcast or Trevor aren’t great either. But there is no divide felt to me in the movie over the sexes.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Won't be able to watch the new one until Tuesday, so I can't say anything about the new one, but I think the biggest problem with Answer the Call was the chemistry just wasn't there. The original 2 movies had the characters playing off each other very well and that just kinda fell flat with Answer the Call, at least to me.. Heck, if it wasn't for McKinnon and Jones, the movie would have been flatter than Kansas.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Yeah I'm with Daith on this one. I'm sorry but Answer the Call had very few 'funny' moments. Most of the cast just didn't have good chemistry. McCarthy and Wig had like the one good scene in the extended version of them doing their school presentation, and Leslie Jones was a joy to watch as Patty, but other than a RARE amusing line from the rest of the cast, everything just fell flat. I didn't even enjoy McKinnon's character, because other than "She's kooky" there wasn't much to her character. She was kooky just to have a kooky character. She adds little to the film.

I mean power to you if you enjoyed the movie, but there are many of us that didn't care it was a cast of women. We just didn't find the movie good.

Caldwin

Citizen
*hides his eyes from anything anyone else is saying*

Yes, I know there's such a thing as spoiler tags...but I gotta be safe, y'all. I just bought my ticket. I'll be seeing it today. Can't wait.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So the Proton Pack passed the first tier this weekend thanks not only to the movies release, but also to the Rancor HasLab royally flubbing the last stretch goals. So connector hose and sticker sheet for a more classic look is assured. Tier two follows the leaked listings with marshmallow goo plastic attachments and three toasted Mini-Puffs with three alternate heads. They also have c clamp hands to help them clip on to the pack.

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, I'm back from the movie.

Theatre experience:
Well, the only ones in there besides me was a father/son duo, so the "crowd" was not a problem this time. But there were 2 things that pretty much made me think this is my last theatre movie.

1. I can control the volume at home. The previews and the ads before the movie were so loud, they honestly hurt my ears, not even kidding.

2. I like to be able to pause during a movie because damn did I ever have to pee by the end of the movie and I wasn't entirely sure I was going to make it to the mens room.

Movie itself:
I absolutely loved it. It felt like the battle at the end ended rather suddenly. But even at that, it was a heck of a final battle. It seemed to lean more towards horror than comedy, and that is not a bad thing at all. The first one was a perfect mix of comedy and horror. The second one leaned more towards comedy. This one leaned more towards horror. I absolutely loved all of it.

Now, it's not uncommon that I'll come out of a movie theatre and then after talking about it with some others there's a bunch of "well, yeah, I guess you have a point" moments where it kind of retroactively taints the movie. But hopefully that doesn't happen here, because this truly is everything I was hoping for.

Caldwin

Citizen
TFW you saw a movie yesterday and want to talk about it, but no one at work has seen it yet.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Yeah might be too soon for people to be going to theaters. We were also almost the only people there for the exception of a small family that sat behind us.

Now we did have the late showing, aka the last one of the night, so that might add to it. (It was also a local theater where doing that the ticket costs only 10 rather than what is it? 16 17 of a normal theater?) Not sure when the rest of you went to see it. Or if you were also in a mostly empty theater. (Well except for Caldwin as he already said he was)

Paladin

Citizen

Top Bottom