Ghostbusters General

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Okay, I just bought it for Genesis. Probably should've waited until payday..but... I didn't. I'm trusting you guys!

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Got the ultimate set coming. Want to see that alternate cut of the original. I was planning on getting Afterlife, but that prospect won me over.

Caldwin

Citizen
So as y'all know (if you've been reading the thread), I already got the digital version. Of course, as usual, the bluray came with a digital version. So here's a picture of my code. Fi come first serve. All I ask is that you reply to let everyone know that it's been claimed so there aren't a lot of people trying to use an already used code.

CFFAE61A-1718-4D91-8284-754D19E33EF9.jpeg

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
my dad was watching afterlife the other day. i watched for a few minutes. it was just... boring. i don't think the director understood what made the first two work was that they were horror-comedies with ensemble casts that bounced off of each other, and not cut-rate stranger things knockoffs. hell, the 2016 reboot understood that better than afterlife did.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
if a ghostbusters film barely even attempts to be funny for half the goddamn movie, i'll pass

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Watched Afterlife with my family last night. Parents enjoyed it way more than I expected them to.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The original Ghostbusters was a perfect storm. They had the right actors, the right writers and the right director to make it work. The second movie was much the same, though with more studio interference. Answer the Call tried too hard with the comedy portions hurting it overall. Afterlife was a bit too reserved on the comedy side until the second half, but seemed to have the FEEL of Ghostbusters better nailed down overall.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My thoughts on Afterlife are this. It does a great job of handling the loss of Harold Ramis, and gives him an epic send off. In addition to that, it setups the return of the classic cast for more movies, as well as more issues in the future with the after credit scenes. It takes an entire film to do that, and quite frankly I wouldn't be upset if we never saw any of the new character again. However, I would be horribly sad if we didn't get more movies to follow this up.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I want more of this to be honest. I found the movie to be great overall. Sure it was slow to start up but really the only thing I feel missing is Murray's con-artistry with Venkman overall. Asking for the classic cast back for more though... at this point it feels like a pipe dream to get Murray back for anything more than what he did here. I know Aykroyd would do anything in a heartbeat and Hudson I feel wouldn't mind it if his role was better.

And actually I feel Winston could be the best bet to get the Franchise in world running again. Winston seeing what Egon did to prepare for the Gozer round 2 feels guilty and put's Ray in charge of getting the business running again with his funding as a side business to his company. Since it'll no doubt be a few years until we get another movie running we could get Phoebe back after she's fast tracked through School and College with Winstons help and is her Grandpa's replacement. So Ray and Phoebe are our brains of the outfit. Podcast could still be doing his thing and scouring the net for leads to sightings and Happenings tipping Ray when needed.

Winston gets Venkman to be the hype man for the revamped business, but he leaves it up to his adopted son Oscar ( played by whoever works) to really fill his shoes overall. Oscar being a baby when the last Ghostbusting really went down doesn't know what to believe himself. All he knows is Pete and his Mom haven't told him everything about what went down years ago and isn't sure what to believe other than "Dad" helped set him up with the job after a sudden trip to the midwest started things up again. Oscar is our new everyman. From there I don't know what exactly to do other something besides the Gozer play again. Take a cue from the Real Ghostbusters and use Samhain or the Grundel? something that will give them trouble on a larger scale that would be able to send out other ghosts.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
There's also the consideration of the studio to account for. THEY might not be comfortable with new ghostbusters movies (at present, with most of the original cast still alive.) without the originals in it even just as cameos, especially after the general reception for AtC. We might not get another film, or at least a well storied and acted one while murray, akroyd and hudson are still alive.

Or they might try to catch lightning in a bottle again and do a similarly styled send off for each of them, and **** the whole thing up.

Caldwin

Citizen
Eh! Fact is, the original cast just isn't getting any younger. I honestly doubt Murry, Akroyd and Hudson would be able to do the kind of action they used to do. It really is time for them to pass it on...and Afterlife is the one that's shown they have the characters and the writing to do it.

-------

The Genesis game came today from eBay. It got delayed a couple days because of weather. So...is it better than the NES game? I mean, yeah...in the same way I guess it's better to have someone spit in my face rather than shit on my head. But there's still quite a bit of "what the hell am I supposed to do here?"

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Related comment?

Were we just better at abstract thinking and reaction back in the day? Cause I never used to need hints and walk throughs for games, and a lot of the modern stuff isn't complicated, just obtuse.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Related comment?

Were we just better at abstract thinking and reaction back in the day? Cause I never used to need hints and walk throughs for games, and a lot of the modern stuff isn't complicated, just obtuse.

You or I never did - but don't forget before the internet there were entire call centers dedicated to providing hints to games at $1.99/minute

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Thank god I never had money as a kid. Forced me to work that shit out on my own. The internet really has spoiled us, hasn't it?

Top Bottom