Ghostbusters General

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Just finished seeing it. Took a bit to really get going, but once it did, it was a blast. Mckenna Graçe did an outstanding job as Phoebe and I hope they can pull off a good sequel.

msol

Citizen
Wow, I really did not enjoy this movie.
It felt slow as hell for the first 2/3rds, then the last 3rd is a remake of GB1. References to GB1 do not make a movie good. The Crunch bar and the Louis Tully headgear being the worst offenders by far. Also, retroactively making Egon a deadbeat dad in 1984 kinda just sucks all around.

Questionable Meats

Citizen
Wow, I really did not enjoy this movie.
It felt slow as hell for the first 2/3rds, then the last 3rd is a remake of GB1. References to GB1 do not make a movie good. The Crunch bar and the Louis Tully headgear being the worst offenders by far. Also, retroactively making Egon a deadbeat dad in 1984 kinda just sucks all around.
I don't think the fact that Gozer was the big bad made it a remake of GB1. There was no "Destroyer", there was no skyscraper climax. There was a trap, a family, old faces and new, and a REALLY upset God.

While I will agree the first half of the movie was slow, I feel it was necessary for this format, considering that they were having to show us the world as it was 30 years after the events of Ghostbusters. It might have been too slow for some people, and I can't blame you for thinking that, but for me it wasn't an issue. Story telling these days is not the same as it was back then, we can't get movies that are hitting us a mile a minute. Especially when you're trying to link one movie to another like they had to.

That's just my opinion though. The memberberries strewn throughout the movie were numerious, but not egregious, at least IMO. They knew who they were catering to.

And even with a slow buildup and overabundance of memberberries, I was still able to finish THIS ghostbusters at least without groaning.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I thought the shtick of Vince and Zuul possessing someone, hugging and op the door for Gozer treaded a little close to the original. But that was really the only part and even that felt like it was treated differently enough. The starter ghost may have been a bit too similar to Slimer, though the payoff at the jail where they got their equipment back made even that a bit more palatable.
I really didn't feel like any other than those two points could be considered remake territory. And like I said, even those points were different en that I didn't mind it.

Everything else, even given the nods to the original (and there were many), just didn't feel like 'remake territory to me.

I also appreciate a slow burn beginning. Too many movies I see these days try to go straight to the action without developing the characters and I'm left wondering"why should I even care about these people?" I wish more movies would just slow down some.

But to each their own. If you didn't like it, you're entitled to your opinion.

Does anyone have a different word than 'entitled'? It's beginning to have a bit of a bad connotation for me and I'm honest, msol has his own opinion and he's welcome to it.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
I mean, Egon being a "deadbeat" dad kind of tracks.
Dude literally has an experiment where he gives a kid a puppy then takes the puppy away in the second movie.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
To me it did feel similar to The Force Awakens in recycling it’s antagonistic plot. But I also feel it did it better and with more respect. But if I’ve noticed anything about myself, I’m very forgiving towards movies like this.

BlitzwingHaz

Citizen
I had a few issues with the move but overall I really liked it.
I thought the pacing was great and McKenna Grace was really good. And Paul Rudd, but I always like him.
Good mix of scary stuff and comedy, but I think if anything the kids were a bit too calm about the scary situations they were in.
I agree some of the memberberry stuff was a bit much, but it never really bugged me.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Oh yeah! The proton pack has passed tier 2! That’s about the only tier passed the first I gave me care about. Tier 3’s Egon Journal could be cool but it’s one of those that could be just something with minimal effort thrown together. The stickers will probably be given to nieces and nephews.

Tier 4 is ok being a stand but it’s essentially just a guitar stand. If we make it or not really won’t matter.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Saw it on Friday, and I liked it. It wasn't quite up to the level of the original, but definitely enjoyable. I'm hoping to see future movies with this crew that can really be their own thing now that the link to the old movies has been established. Though I would still imagine that they'd continue to stay linked in that
I can see Winston continuing to fund and mentor the new team, while Ray occasionally contributes in a bit of the researcher/"guy in the chair" role.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, even if ghost corps wanted to do more movies: akroyd, murray and hudson have made entirely too much money and recognition off the franchise to NOT show up in future films... unless their dead. And even tying story points to characters: stantz was the only other occultist on the team. So unless ecto 1 actually WAS a ghost, and gozer spent the intervening decades manipulating venkman's career...

Don't get me wrong: I want more content, I want new films, hell: make a new ******* cartoon. I would watch it. But between the fandom being kinda afraid of change: and three of the four actors still wanting in on the franchise (either because THEY want it, or marketing wants it.)... I don't see it happening anytime soon. Though 2 movies in 5 years is a hell of a lot better than the 19 years between extreme ghostbusters and "answer the call".

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
I loved it the slow build up was great it let us explore and breath and get to know the characters and mystery

10/10

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
As I think about it, I would liken it less to Force Awakens and more to Return of the Jedi. Yes, many of the same characters return along with new ones, and yes, the threat is essentially the same, too, but the story and resolutions are pretty different.

Oh, and this should go without saying, but watch all the way to the end of the credits. Couldn’t believe my wife and I were the only ones to stay in the theater for the final scene.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Just got back from seeing it. My first theatrical experience since The Rise of Skywalker back in the pre-COVID days.

I really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoyed seeing the original guys suited up again, I like that it didn't try to upstage Phoebe as the heart of this film. All the kids in this were pretty decent actors, but I think Phoebe and Podcast were standouts. While Ghostbusters might be more comedy traditionally, I didn't hate the family drama this one brought to it. I even got a little emotional during the scene when Callie and Phoebe were arguing (after the arrest), with Phoebe being angry how her mom had hidden the fact her grandfather was a lot like her. I think a lot of us can probably empathize with being the oddball kid with weird interests.

When they finally showed all four original Ghostbusters standing side-by-side again, that kinda WTF? side-glance Winston gave Egon was really funny.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just saw this last night. I think it was phenomenal and hit right in the feels. The first Ghostbusters was never a "comedy" in the first place. It just had funny parts, same as this one.

They really continued the story in a respectful way and the cast was outstanding. Obviously the movie was about Phoebe and to some degree Egon. It certainly wasn't designed to shit on the source like the Star Wars sequels people keep comparing it to.

And unlike that trainwreck of the 2016 movie, this movie had actual heart instead of being a shallow impersonation.

The only true "flaw" in the movie was how neatly stocked that Walmart was.

Questionable Meats

Citizen
Yeah, even if ghost corps wanted to do more movies: akroyd, murray and hudson have made entirely too much money and recognition off the franchise to NOT show up in future films... unless their dead. And even tying story points to characters: stantz was the only other occultist on the team. So unless ecto 1 actually WAS a ghost, and gozer spent the intervening decades manipulating venkman's career...

Don't get me wrong: I want more content, I want new films, hell: make a new ******* cartoon. I would watch it. But between the fandom being kinda afraid of change: and three of the four actors still wanting in on the franchise (either because THEY want it, or marketing wants it.)... I don't see it happening anytime soon. Though 2 movies in 5 years is a hell of a lot better than the 19 years between extreme ghostbusters and "answer the call".
All good points, although I would argue what you said about the fandom being afraid of change. The fandom has pretty openly embraced this movie for the most part, and it's success rates in a post covid world speak to the fact that it is definitely a successful film on its own.

The fandom is not afraid of change. I don't think. But it also doesn't appreciate disrespect. And this movie went the extra mile to make it clear that it respected the original.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
As I think about it, I would liken it less to Force Awakens and more to Return of the Jedi. Yes, many of the same characters return along with new ones, and yes, the threat is essentially the same, too, but the story and resolutions are pretty different.

Oh, and this should go without saying, but watch all the way to the end of the credits. Couldn’t believe my wife and I were the only ones to stay in the theater for the final scene.
Same thing happened here. There was one woman not far from us that was a big fan (she was very excitable and sang the song at the end) but she only stayed for the first after credit scene, not the second.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I mean: I get the difference between the movies. But answer was genuinely funny and enjoyable, and the crap it got was largely from a bunch of panty-knots who couldn't stand to see women playing in the role.

It really wasn't. The dismissal of its criticism and poor reception as being primarily from sexist and misogynist is unfounded. The fact that Afterlife is female led, and seems to be fairly widely being warmly regarded by fans and movie goers alike further dispels this idea.

Top Bottom