Ghostbusters General

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
You or I never did - but don't forget before the internet there were entire call centers dedicated to providing hints to games at $1.99/minute
Depends on the game. There were plenty of games back in the day with total b.s. cryptic "puzzles" that were nearly impossible to solve with the given "clues" I recal Simons Quest being particularly bad.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Probably done on purpose so more kids would pester their parents to subscribe to Nintendo Power.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I think a lot of the old school challenge was done simply to extend the game's life. If it's challenging, you'll have to play it longer.

The Genesis Ghostbusters is your classic: "learn the patterns and layout". It might take a few tries, but once you know the level you'll be generally fine.

You have access to one of three Ghostbusters. It's been years since I booted it up, so I don't remember which is which for this, but one has high defense and low attack. (I think it's Egon) I'm pretty sure Ray is your average one, and Peter is your high attack but low defense. Don't quote me on that though.

I think you were able to pick your stage, and then it's, go in. Platform forward, zap and avoid ghosts. Defeat a mini boss (capture it for more money!) then get to fhe final boss, beat it and get paid. Use money to buy upgrades in the shop to make advancing easier.

EDIT: The only major confusion I remember that you'd likely need a guide for is one house has this 'darkness' effect where you can barely see around you. There are some sorta torch item you can buy in the shop that gives you more light, but I think they only last for a small duration, so you have to stock up on them before that level, and even then it's good to know where you should go.

Last time I sat down with it, I managed to get to the final boss, but I didn't beat it. I should sit down and give it another try sometime, but as I've said a few times before. I just don't have the time for gaming that I used to. It's why RPGs are pretty much a no go now. They just take up way too much time. :(

Caldwin

Citizen
XUa219J.jpg

Found these at Target today. I really only wanted Phoebe since I already had a vintage "Real Ghostbusters" toy for Egon. But I don't think there even is a stand-alone Phoebe. So here we are.

hMqG9sm.jpg

And I added my Lucky toy in there to show my whole Afterlife toy collection.

I doubt I'll ever get the full set to complete the terror dog, so I guess I'll just make a placard or something to make it look taxidermies. And of course they had to have the collection bottle of fungus thrown in there. I know why they put the Knight chess piece in there, but honestly, I've seen bigger Cheeto crumbs. That's going to get lost in no time flat.

Caldwin

Citizen
GJQlozc.jpg

I got this from Amazon today. Now I finally have a Ray toy to complete the team.

opcJijT.jpg

I had a picture of these on a previous page, but they were probably hard to see since they were kind of a tiny part of the overall picture. That Winston is impossible to make stand on its own. I have no idea why I have two Janines.

lgF0IPC.jpg

iqohHl3.jpg

And then I have these.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Yeah, Sony doesn't usually miss a beat when it comes to A/V quality on their 4K discs. The first time Phoebe and Podcast power the pack up in that field... I thought that sound was cool before, but wow.
Looking forward to watching the whole thing. I popped in the disc and watched the opening scene and it wowed me.

Axaday

Citizen
I finally got to see Afterlife last night. I really liked it!

I thought Ghostbusters 2 was lame when I saw it in theaters as a kid and I never watched it again until about 10 years ago when I confirmed that I just don't care for it. I'm going to tell my kids that Afterlife is Ghostbusters 2. To the best I could tell, they referenced nothing except the first movie.

Intrigue to me: I always had the impression that the "ghosts" in the first movie, except the one in the library, were probably not dead humans. Everything about the Gozer thing seemed like they were just extradimensional beings that people took to be ghosts. But this movie made it make sense that they were really ghosts. (Or perhaps they are still extra-dimensional beings and the Sumerians just ALSO mistook them for ghosts?) I would have left out the reanimating corpse of Ivo Shandor, but it did make a cool gag that he had dedicated his whole life to this and Gozer finds him entirely disposable.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Given how he was the big bad of the video game and was mentioned more in the first ten minutes of this movie than the entirety of the first, I was fully expecting him to be the big bad here. So when Gozer just unceremoniously ripped him in half, I was pretty shocked.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Shandor is and was never anything more than a patsy. A little man with delusions of godhood.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Given how he was the big bad of the video game and was mentioned more in the first ten minutes of this movie than the entirety of the first, I was fully expecting him to be the big bad here. So when Gozer just unceremoniously ripped him in half, I was pretty shocked.
He was a fool to think that would work, as gods don't share power. Especially death gods like Gozer.

Caldwin

Citizen
First time I saw Ghostbusters was with my brother and my grandmother. I only ever got to see her once every so many years, so that's my clearest, strongest memory I have of her.

Now I just lost my grandmother and the producer of the movie that gave me such a deep memory of her in the same week. **** 2022. Just...**** everything about it so far.

Axaday

Citizen
Now I just lost my grandmother and the producer of the movie that gave me such a deep memory of her in the same week. **** 2022. Just...**** everything about it so far.

My mom is on her deathbed and my brother told me the other day that he is done with 2022 and ready to go to 2023. I quickly reviewed the pattern in my head. If I can't go to 2019, I'ma just stick with 2022 as long as I can. Pattern says 2023 is worse.

Caldwin

Citizen
My mom is on her deathbed and my brother told me the other day that he is done with 2022 and ready to go to 2023. I quickly reviewed the pattern in my head. If I can't go to 2019, I'ma just stick with 2022 as long as I can. Pattern says 2023 is worse.
Before this I was thinking "well at least we don't have to wear those damn masks anymore." But dang, I'd wear all the masks in the world if I could get my grandmother back.

Top Bottom