Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Sequel announced with Trailer!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

The sequel to 2021's "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" now has a title - and a teaser trailer. "Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire" is due out next spring and, like a blustery gust of winterish wind, the trailer has arrived. Watch it above.

"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire" takes place after the events of "Ghostbusters: Afterlife," with Spengler's daughter Callie (Carrie Coon) and her kids Phoebe (Mckenna Grace) and Trevor (Finn Wolfhard), along with her new love Gary (Paul Rudd) and Trevor's crush Lucky (Celeste O'Connor), overseeing a new generation of Ghostbusters back in New York. (The movie's codename was "Firehouse.")
They team up with the previous generation of Ghostbusters (Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd) when faced with a sinister new threat that could plunge the world into a supernaturally assisted ice age. Annie Potts and William Atherton return from the original film, with Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani making their "Ghostbusters" debuts.

The trailer, set largely to Bananarama's classic bop "Cruel Summer," features Manhattan under assault from dangerous ice and a ton of classic "Ghostbusters"-y stuff - the Ecto-1 careening through the streets; the lions outside the New York Public Library coming to life; a sinister new ghost with very big horns; and, crucially, a new look for the Ghostbusters - puffy winter coats emblazoned with the classic Ghostbusters logo. (This could be a reference to the new dark grey suits that the Ghostbusters had in 1989's "Ghostbusters II," which were plastered all over the marketing but seen only fleetingly in the actual movie.)

This latest "Ghostbusters" adventure was once again written by Jason Reitman, whose father Ivan Reitman directed the first two "Ghostbusters" films, and Gil Kenan, who will be taking over directing duties this time around. "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" cinematographer Eric Steelberg also returns, continuing the striking look of the 2021 film.

"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire" will hit theaters on March 29, 2024.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I still need to see Afterlife, but this already feels like a Ghostbusters movie from the trailer. Guess I better see the previous on before Frozen Empire hits.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'll have to wait till I get home from work to watch the trailer. But I like that they're getting a sequel. Makes me want to watch Afterlife again.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Lets gooooo that trailer was awesome gonna have to rewatch Afterlife again now

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's nice to see what looks to be an all original story for the Ghostbusters both old and new. I liked Afterlife and didn't mind that it referenced/reused a lot of stuff from the previous movies as that was kind of necessary to link the new characters to something familiar, but I'm definitely ready to see them move past Gozer and Marshmallow Men.

Caldwin

Citizen
I thought it looked good. I'll definitely check it out. Coin flip on whether or not I break my no-theatres rule...but I'll definitely be seeing it. Hoping for a physical release.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I honestly think that I am done with Movie Theaters now. I much rather watch it at home with the family than try to keep my kids from running around the theater.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still like going to the movies, but that's because I have two small, nice, "mom-and-pop" movie theaters nearby. I can barely stand going to the large chain theaters anymore, either.

Caldwin

Citizen
Pretty sure I've said this before, the last time I went to the theatre, the audio was so loud it seriously hurt my ears. Add onto that the fact that I will usually use the restroom right before the movie and still be in panic mode by the end, and let's not forget the crazy price of tickets even with matinee pricing... it's usually a better experience just to wait a month or two until it comes out on Bluray or digital.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I'm lucky as I have a local theater that when pricing tickets, late night adult are about 8 bucks. So I still do the theater a lot. Heck when we went to see Shazam, there was a "Buy an early ticket and get a free round of mini golf" so for six bucks there was my Morning.

Long as that theater remains I'm going to still do theaters, and am SO looking forward to this!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
New movie means...NEW TOYS! Found at an Austin, TX area toy store, Hasbro has a new series of "kids figures" on deck. Look about 5-6" scale with the kids being a bit shorter than adults. Each figure appears 5 POA and include a ghost figure. Also seen was a "Squash and Squeeze" Slimer deluxe figure.

Hasbro has been pretty quiet on their plans with Frozen Empire, but it looks like a kids line, with role-play and an Ecto 1 likely on tap. Figures should start to cycle on to retail next month as stores roll into their spring toy sets. Entertainment Earth is set to post stuff this Sunday, which may well include Ghostbusters products.
In addition to these new toys, Hasbro is reissuing the Classic "Fright Features" Kenner Ghostbusters figures this spring.

Caldwin

Citizen
It looks like there's some new characters I might want to check out. I never did own a Slimer toy. So I may look into that. But as for the older characters, I doubt I'll see much reason to get characters I've already bought unless there's some new features.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Got a question for you Ghostbusters diehards:
The Fright Features figures are REALLY triggering some nostalgia, so I’m thinking, maybe, snag an Ecto 1 to go with them. The options (thus far) are the Kenner REissue Ecto 1 (around $30-35) or the Afterlife basic Ecto 1 (around $20). Both seem to have good and bad points, so I‘m seeing what those with both have to say.
Kenner has the nostalgia vibes, but Afterlife has some better detailing and niftier features, but the proportions feel “off” to me.

Caldwin

Citizen
The Ecto-1 toy I have is a vintage one my parents got me at a garage sale. It's incomplete, but I love having it. I'd be happy to get a decent new one though.

I haven't seen the new one. If you're wanting one purely for the nostalgia, I'd go for the reissue. Personally, I'd probably go for the more detailed one, especially since it's cheaper.

Top Bottom