G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

Platypus Prime

Citizen
What if under the mask he's really Ray Stevens, so you have Zartan and Gitarzan?

Edit: I still say that, when cold, he looks like Dr. Manhattan did a Quantum Leap into the Comedian. THAT would be one messed up fanfic...

Last edited:

electricidad

Citizen
IMG_1867.jpeg

Posted because it's 1985 on my Joe shelf. 2021 was a solid year for Classified Joes, each one of these guys is great.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Got Alley Viper at the beginning of the week and BAT today, both from Amazon.

AV was a nice little bit of Nostalgia but didn't move me as much as I expected. I had this guy as a kid and he was cool and all, but honestly the 2nd Alley Viper, black and yellow with the dragon mask was the one that really hit with me, and I kinda found myself wishing for that instead.

The BAT on the other hand has hit a deeper vein with me. Love him and he immediately made me want a Serpentor to go with. And that got me thinking what other Cobra I would buy (Twins, Hydroviper, Technoviper, Cobra La Guard, Toxoviper, BAT2, Slice and Dice) .

-ZacWilliam, I want more figs anounced and particularly more from the later, weirder years.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Got Alley Viper at the beginning of the week and BAT today, both from Amazon.

AV was a nice little bit of Nostalgia but didn't move me as much as I expected. I had this guy as a kid and he was cool and all, but honestly the 2nd Alley Viper, black and yellow with the dragon mask was the one that really hit with me, and I kinda found myself wishing for that instead.
My Entertainment Earth order is still on for July. I just refuse to pay the premiums I'm seeing. Not when I expect both to be the kind of figures Hasbro keeps rerunning off and on for a good while (especially the BAT).

1989 was my big "Joe Year". I think I ended up with something like over half the year's product line, more than any other individual year. Because of that and DiC's Operation Dragonfire, I have a TREMEDOUSLY strong attachment to the 89 Alley Viper. See, Hasbro was REALLY shorting the line of new, named, Cobra villains towards the end of the decade. The only new named bad guy was a freakin' Dreadnok!
Because of that, DiC basically promoted "Alley Viper" to an individual character so that the Cobra heirarchy would be more than old toys. Voiced by Jim Byrnes, he was a ruthless Crimson Guardsman who "transferred" to the AV Corps to further his career in Cobra. That characterization always stuck with me, especially as there were so few "lieutenants" released during my Joe era.
It also helped that the cartoon changed the AV colors to a proper red and blue before dumping them for newer Cobra toys to promote.

Also, in some GI Joe news:
Reportedly there's a Tiger Force Duke (with vehicle) on deck for this year at Target. Promo images of the 3 POA value figures are out (the GI Joe equivalent to Transformers Authentics).
And listings are said to have revealed a new GI Joe retro line: Classified figures on retro packaging. Probably stuff for the 40th, and might be a good chance to get some harder to find figures or figures in more attractive deco. Baroness and Lady Jaye confirmed thus far.

TriBlurr

Citizen
Yeah we got a pretty full year so far ahead of us.

BAT
Alley Viper

Spirit
Storm Shadow
Cobra Officer

Stalker
Tomax
Xamot

Zarana
Crimson Guard
Dusty

Croc Master and Fiona
Mystery 2nd Pet 2 Pack

Tiger Force VS Python Patrol:
Outback
Duke with vehicle
Viper
BAT

Walmart Retro Cardback:
Baroness
Lady Jaye

Unconfirmed:
Viper and Viper Officer

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I'll take Tomax and Xamot.

Mayyyybe Staker if he looks just right. (He was one of my early favorite Joes but it was entirely because I was like 7 and I thought he looked like he was wearing pajamas, and that appealed to me.)

Maybe Zarana, again depending on the look. And Crocmaster is already preordered.

-ZacWilliam, really want more weird guys though. Sci-Fi is sitting right there.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Pulsecon Zartan does make an excellent 'universal extra' for the comics I sometimes throw onto the Svengoolie group.

This week's movie will be "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers".

51827046799_c992f91c66_o.jpg

electricidad

Citizen
Yeah we got a pretty full year so far ahead of us.

BAT
Alley Viper

Spirit
Storm Shadow
Cobra Officer

Stalker
Tomax
Xamot

Zarana
Crimson Guard
Dusty

Croc Master and Fiona
Mystery 2nd Pet 2 Pack

Tiger Force VS Python Patrol:
Outback
Duke with vehicle
Viper
BAT

Walmart Retro Cardback:
Baroness
Lady Jaye

Unconfirmed:
Viper and Viper Officer
Falcon also rumored for later this year.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Fan First Friday vid pretty much confirmed a lot of the listings but not to the point of what the retro wave is going to look like. Everything is computer models so far and no preorders are up yet. Probably waiting until their 40th Anniversary thing next month from what was said.

First off let's get the Twins out in the room. Tomax and Xamot were confirmed for Classified .

Joe CS Tomax.jpg

Joe CS Xamot.jpg

Then sticking with Classified we got Stalker confirmed.
Joe CS Stalker.jpg

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Then most of the other Classified Figures seemed to be in whatever the Retro Wave will be. No secret about the oversized old school cardbacks most already know but they were being coy about it.

Gung Ho
Joe CS Retro Gung Ho.jpg

Lady Jaye
Joe CS Retro Lady Jaye.jpg

Baroness
Joe CS Retro Baroness.jpg

Destro
Joe CS Retro Destro.jpg

Finally we got a Cobra Trooper 3 pack coming
Joe CS Cobra Troop Builder.jpg

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
And then 2 two packs for the O-ring figures.

A Cobra Trooper and Officer.
Joe O-Ring Cobra Trooper and Officer.jpg

And a Duke and Cobra Commander looking straight out of the cartoon in their colors.
Joe O-Ring Duke and CC.jpg

Can't say I'm super enthused about the O-ring figures. Look as old school as people would want, but it's just not what I'm into anymore.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Thoughts:

Twins: Awesome Sold.

Stalker: Hmm, appeals to me more than I expected. A solid maybe.

Baroness and Lady Jay - Look really good but I don't really care about them as characters, I'll likely pass.

Gung-Ho - That color was what I wanted. Sold.

Destro - Good but not better than the one I got so no need.

Vipers - Only interested if they come with a Mercer head. Heck give me two Mercer heads since his two original figures had heads that looked nothing alike.

O-Rings - I like that these exist but expect them to cost more than I would pay. Also that Duke head looks awful.

-ZacWilliam, still waiting on Sci-Fi.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Hoping to see Zarana. The new Classified is nice. I also like Destro with the cartoon colored face. Wish Lady Jaye would have followed suit.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, it's a good time for those looking for new (Classified) and old (o-rings, which I don't really begrudge, glad those who want them finally get em).

I do wish there'd still be some more in-between (2007-Retro construction) just for fodder to be around. But this is still more life than the brand has seen in recent years, so it's all welcome.

Those new 6in figures look great. Nice looks on those Vipers too!

electricidad

Citizen
Stalker, Twins and Viper pack for me.

If I find Stalker on the pegs, I can see myself grabbing more than one. The build and deco seems like it'd work as Recoil, and possibly Hit n Run.

IMG_1907.jpeg

This is the new leader of my Red Ninjas. His only weapons: A simple staff and the fact that he looks like Winston Duke.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Was looking over my Classified figures. I never considered myself a Cobra fan when I was a kid in the 80s. Some of my friends definitely were. Yeah I had a bunch of cool ones and they had some neat costumes, but if you had asked me I would have said I was more of a Joe fan.

This is my Classified collection. Minus Beachhead.

BB02173E-142D-4DE6-984E-11CED438E0AE.jpeg

I mean, yeah that's technically a Joe version of Stormshadow but I still mostly think of him as a Cobra character. They need to do some cooler Joes. At least get Shipwreck in there.

-ZacWilliam, the ironic part of my one Joe squad is I hated Beachhead as a kid, because he was such an ass in the Cartoon (same reason I hated Leatherneck and Wetsuit).

Top Bottom