G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
cant say i disagree with that. i dont know how many cobra commanders and snake-eyes' i bought during the 25th. dont need another of either one for a good couple decades i think

AgentOrange

Citizen
What the fandom wants and what the franchise needs are often diametrically opposed.

Joe needs a Beast Wars or 2021 MOTU level reimagining but the fandom wants $230 Haslab Skystrikers and Hasbro would rather keep pumping the captive market until they physically can’t which is still likely another few decades away.

Said it before, but the problem is the franchise has already had that reimagining and it happened 40 years ago.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I think the Classified stuff (short of maybe Python Patrol BAT) all looked really great. Didn't care about the 3 3/4" stuff but the Skystriker is certainly something that I would have wanted 10 years ago.
Except 10 years ago you could have gotten a retooled one with ME compatibility and a new Ace for $30 :p

I mean, I see the plus and negatives on the Skystriker. Yes, it has been seen fairly recently for ME…but that’s not the market Hasbro seems to be targeting here. I think a really nice modernized MOBAT with working treads, opening hatches and such might have been a stronger offering.
One of the quintessential images of GI Joe is the team leaping into battle in front of a tank while Skystrikers flank in the air. All considered, I think the jet as more “prestige”, but I think a nice, usable, MOBAT would have gotten a warmer reception simply because there is a TON more to improve on the old tank than the old jet.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Wasn’t the reissue Skystriker from a few years ago a single-seater? The Haslab one will have 2 seats.

As far as the return of o-rings, I’m all for it. When I’m playing GI Joes with my son, modern articulation is a liability, not a feature. If they can fit in a vehicle and ride around, that’s the toy sweet spot for me. Get a few more small vehicles and maybe some gear/outpost sets out and I think the playability would be the best selling point for them.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah - they determined they couldn't adjust the original cockpit enough to fit two ME-sized figures.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Does anyone know how long temperture-controlled color change paint on toys lasts? I was thinking about Pulsecon Zartan, I got in an order for one the day they went live. It hasn't shipped yet but looking at reviews I am unsure as to how well it will handle both the scraping of face-swapping and just life in general. I assume it will last longer than one triggered by UV, though. I have a few Hot Wheels cars from back in the day that used to change color in hot or cold water, and now they don't. I got this thinking I could use it as a "Universal Extra" as multiple characters in silly pictures.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Is it paint or plastic? I was thinking this one was plastic as there doesn't seem to be any obvious painted parts like the 3 3/4" one that color changed a little over 10 years ago.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I'm not really sure, I guess the easiest way to check would be to pop the head off, cool it, and look inside the neck hole? I'm not sure what difference the plastic would make longevity-wise but if it's not paint I guess that negates the scraping risk I was worried about for the color-change face.

Dake

Citizen
Was the ME color-change Zartan painted? I assumed it was in the plastic.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Oh hey, Emily from Hasbro GI Joe Marketing Team made an account at Hisstank!

I don’t see this going well.

Plus side is that they FINALLY revealed the dang Alley Viper! He’s been like an albatross around the line’s neck after appearing in the first images of Classified. And with some broader design and marketing directions, he’s a proper GLORIOUS orange and blue! Also confirmation the third figure in wave 1 2022 is the Cobra Officer (along with Spirit and Storm Shadow). They actually put some solid work into him, as well. A more realistic set of weapons, plus the detail I’ve lamented we’ve lost with the earlier Classified figures. Has a belt/harness that can store extra magazines (which are removable from the rifles) and new head with a more distinct fabric face mask look (along with some other new parts like new lower arms).

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Still waiting on more Dreadnoks. At least now that I got Pulsecon Zartan, I can use one of his alt heads and weapons to make the first release of Zartan his own distinct guy.

electricidad

Citizen
The Classified line continues to be amazing. The Alley Viper is a handsome fella. If I can get a couple of him, I'll consider myself lucky.

1027-Joe-2-011.jpg

I only pre-ordered one Cobra Officer. I kind of already have a lot of Cobra blue on my shelf.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ohhh no... I wouldn't wish Hisstank on anyone. I mean, the only thing I look at there is the home page and customs.

Yeah, that's gonna be wild I guess if she tries to hang around for any length of time and actually interact.

Couldn't stay around after my initial interest in modern Joes spiked with 25th/ROC etc. Only really stayed around for the custom forums and b/s/t, and both of those lost their appeal over time thanks to the former turning into "marauder parts for everything" and the latter basically drying up. Discussions were basically the same arc every time with everyone either being an edgy adolescent or acting like one, complete with predictable "ruined forever" fandumb behavior that even most TF circles had outgrown years prior.

///

I've mostly been out of Classified as I don't want to start collecting all over again in a new scale (and some of the designs don't really grab me). But I really dig the new Viper and BAT design in these colors, despite them being fairly uninteresting in their original color schemes. And that Alley Viper is pretty neat.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
So….you know that weird thing Hasbro’s doing with Kingdom Blaster being “direct to in stock” and not offering advanced preorders?

Seems like the same thing is happening with the BAT and Alley Viper assortment. Heck, this dude was even able to order several BATs from Walmart!
“Satellite“ and “Apollo” are the system codenames

Odd that Hasbro hasn’t committed to this like Blaster, but I’m not even sure THEY really know what’s going on with the stuff because of the dock issues. Guess we’ll just have to keep hawking our usual places. I’m really not too worried, though. Hasbro’s been doing a solid job in rerunning stuff and I’m certain I’ll get my Alley Viper…even if I have to wait until next summer to get it.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Super7 has revealed wave 2 of their Real American Hero Ultimates line. Flint, Lady Jaye, Baroness (blue) and Destro!

Top Bottom