G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay, say I decide I want to start reading that. Is the whole thing collected by IDW? Are they losing that license soon, too?

What am I looking at if I get involved here?

Dake

Citizen
It starts with the Marvel run beginning in the 80's. IDW did collect the entire Marvel series in books, but I think they've been out of print for a while now so finding those to start with could be tricky.

Guess I should finish off the back half of the collection if I can - I fell behind after a while.

65aUysZ.jpg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
GI Joe is first thing tomorrow afternoon. Hasbro has announced over a dozen names that are "in the pipeline" with Tripwire and Hawk announced today.

I can barely tolerate to go to a certain forum named after a Cobra Vehicle, I KNOW these people aren't THAT new to collecting. But the suppositions and such are hurting my brain. Like someone complaining about how they wanted a nice Cobra Commander, only for him to be attached to the Hiss Tank. Even though Hasbro has NEVER been shy about releasing plenty of variations of Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes and other core characters.
It's, like, WTF is up with these people?
And they appear to be expecting the WORLD from tomorrow, which means they'll all bitch and moan when Hasbro offers a much more "restrained" presentation. So...

I'll see if I can dig up the list, but Hasbro has dropped "pipe line names" for last few months. More than a few are likely to be retailer exclusives, IMO.
I expect us to get some o-ring reveals, update on the Skystriker.
The first "closed box" wave of figures (Falcon, Crimson BAT, SM BBQ, Covergirl, original colors Outback) will be fully revealed, maybe some renders of the next.

On other Joe news, Hiya Toys revealed their 4" Storm Shadow. Like Snake Eyes, it seems largely based on the original Classified/Evergreen designs before fan bit...er...."Feedback"..resulted in the more traditional design direction.

Dake

Citizen
I mean, the HISS version is a Mickey Mouse CC. Of course there will be a regular one.

Anyway yeah, the only thing in use that site for is looking at customs.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I mean, the HISS version is a Mickey Mouse CC. Of course there will be a regular one.

Anyway yeah, the only thing in use that site for is looking at customs.
But, y’know, he might have to wait until 2024 to buy the retro CC as a single release. *rolleyes*

ANYWAY, I’m eager to get my order in on Falcon and Serpentor. Given my age, the animated film was a big part of my “Joe media package” (along with the Serpentor and Dragonfire mini series) when I was a kid. So I’m not only glad these guys are hitting relatively early, but thus far look to be leagues better than the half ass 25th Anniversary iterations we got.
Hopefully, Hasbro won’t make me wait 10 years to get a Pythona and Nemesis Enforcer.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I like the idea of new Female Cobra Troopers, but aside from that there wasnt too much for my snake sympathising ways. Maybe I'll get Crimson BAT since he can display a little differently from the standard one and will look good next to the Twins and red ninja.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I preordered Serpentor though I'm not sure I'll be able to keep him. The date is far enough in advance that I can consider him and cancel if I feel like he's too pricey for my budget as time gets closer.

Crimson BAT was sold out on Pulse but I got one on Amazon which is cheaper anyway. Debating whether to make him leader of my regular BATs or Kitbash him together with a Crimson Guard to be a Cyborg CG.

-ZacWilliam, my problem with Classified is I really really want guys like the Hydro-Viper, Fast Draw, Sci-Fi, RoboJOE and all those late line Weirdos.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Managed to get Serpentor but a buddy did not. Hopefully he'll be back up later after bot orders are weeded out.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
IMG_20221002_092522.jpg

Only just saw him. Has there been some altered pics of him using that other hair? I'd like to see.

Also he's doing the circle game, haha

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
As I called, a number of fans are unhappy due to MANY “elephants in the room” not being addressed. Given the complaints, it Was like a zoo’s worth of elephants, apparently.

Onto the reveals, they name dropped Snow Serpent, Buzzer and female Cobra Trooper. Again, given the sheer volume of names they’ve dropped this year, it feels like they’ve revealed a good chunk of the line going well into 2024. These join Tripwire and Hawk being revealed on Thursday.

It’s worth noting that Hasbro previously remarked that they are shifting to larger waves (5 figures) and each wave will feature repaints. I think the trade off will be fewer waves per year, but maybe we’ll see less instances of 1 or 2 figures drowning out some places.

Renders, again, I don’t think this is a single wave, but parts of two or three:
Shipwreck- A very traditional Shipwreck. The new hair piece is interesting, but…yeah. It’s a 6” iteration of the classic design. Not much to say.
Bazooka- Classic colors redeco. Expected, I’m content with my Tiger Force version on order.
Copperhead- Like Shipwreck, it’s hard to say much because he does what he is supposed to do. I’m frankly surprised they are showing him first as a normal deco. He was on my short list to be a Python Patrol entry, which is the version I’m waiting on. Maybe if they release the “classic” version first, it’ll make the Python version easier to get?
Torpedo- A solid looking update, this is a figure where the concept lends itself to some impressive gear. The gear looks great, and they confirmed he’ll be able to tote his entire array at once. The biggest knock is the omission of a “open” headsculpt. Makes me worried about Snow Job since so many media appearance gave him those luscious red locks, but I’m afraid he’ll end up with a “closed” head like the 25th version.
Rock and Roll- This got my attention. As Hasbro pushes more and more to straight remakes, it’s nice to see them take some chances on the design. While some clear influences from his V1 figure, Hasbro granted this RnR a LOT more personality with his tattoos, “bullet bracelet” and helmet text. And I’m curious how they work in the extra ammo belt into the M60, which they are clearly working to do. New hands are noticeable, including a punch and point (which might be on deck for Hawk later on), but we’ll see if these make the cut on the final figure.

Preorder wave:
Mad Marauders BBQ- I always liked BBQ in this deco, but I’m not sure if he’ll make the cut due to budget. As in, MY budget. Not a fan of the new subgroup name. I get the necessity of it, but I don’t get the “mad” angle. Something like Mighty Marauders, or Mega Marauders, would have been better to me.
Crimson BAT- People scoffed, but this was the first Joe figure to sell out on Pulse yesterday. Even as a BAT fan, I already have two (plus the high probability that I’ll end up with the Python Patrol version), and it’s like, you got to draw the line somewhere.
Outback- Classic colors, and I do think he ended up REALLY well done. Of the stuff we’ve gotten, I think he has the best headsculpt of any figure to date, and the accessories are well done. I’ve skewed to the Tiger Force version (TF is my jam)…but availability may force me to the classic iteration.
Covergirl- A fan favorite, I just don’t have need for this character, at this scale, and at this price point. I like some of the updating and novel accessories (with Wolverine Easter egg!). Of note, she appears to come with a more “classic“ shotgun that seems better suited to Falcon, but I can see both angles on the shotgun situation between the two
Falcon- I wasn’t NOT going to get him. Overall, a solid hit, but his face isn’t as strong as I would have preferred. The mouth seems a bit wide in high res shots, but didn’t look terrible in more natural settings. Again, this is an instance where I would have like to see Hasbro take reference with the AMAZING version done by Sideshow toys some years ago. He has a more “combat ready“ shotgun, but Covergirl’s is more vintage accurate. Though, I kind of like the idea of giving him an auto-shotgun just to differentiate between him and Flint a bit better.

Serpentor looks glorious, I got him ordered at 4 pm CST with only a minor delay (probably to prevent server overload) and he was available for WELL over an hour. And I’m glad the price wasn’t as severe as I had been expecting. With the bikes hitting $45-50, I was expecting $100+. $80 is a bit steep for my typical budget, but not as bad as I had expected.
Hasbro has also added a notification button to his page, possibly to gauge interest in another run. So if you missed him, be sure to sign into Pulse and get a notification.

If nothing else, Falcon and Serpentor turned out WAY better than their prior 25th iterations, and I’m glad I got them ordered. I’m cutting back, but these two were essential for me.

Dake

Citizen
I forgot that 25th Serpentor had troubled releases. I used the Walky recipe to piece together one good one from the various versions.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
If they're doing 'new' old characters for Classified, I'd say Movie Bench Press for Rock n Roll. And Sigma 6 Inferno for Barbeque. Also please complete the Dreadknoks trio and redo them as Cold Slither, haha

MrBlud

Citizen
Is it a trademark thing or they just didn’t want “Slaughter” as a good guy term?

The man himself is already there so the second (if that’s the case) seems pretty dumb.

Lobjob

Citizen
GI Joe is first thing tomorrow afternoon. Hasbro has announced over a dozen names that are "in the pipeline" with Tripwire and Hawk announced today.

I can barely tolerate to go to a certain forum named after a Cobra Vehicle, I KNOW these people aren't THAT new to collecting. But the suppositions and such are hurting my brain. Like someone complaining about how they wanted a nice Cobra Commander, only for him to be attached to the Hiss Tank. Even though Hasbro has NEVER been shy about releasing plenty of variations of Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes and other core characters.
It's, like, WTF is up with these people?
And they appear to be expecting the WORLD from tomorrow, which means they'll all bitch and moan when Hasbro offers a much more "restrained" presentation. So...

I'll see if I can dig up the list, but Hasbro has dropped "pipe line names" for last few months. More than a few are likely to be retailer exclusives, IMO.
I expect us to get some o-ring reveals, update on the Skystriker.
The first "closed box" wave of figures (Falcon, Crimson BAT, SM BBQ, Covergirl, original colors Outback) will be fully revealed, maybe some renders of the next.

On other Joe news, Hiya Toys revealed their 4" Storm Shadow. Like Snake Eyes, it seems largely based on the original Classified/Evergreen designs before fan bit...er...."Feedback"..resulted in the more traditional design direction.

All i want is an entire line like this.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Is it a trademark thing or they just didn’t want “Slaughter” as a good guy term?

The man himself is already there so the second (if that’s the case) seems pretty dumb.
I think it's more an issue to the fact Hasbro doesn't "own" Sgt. Slaughter, and therefore doesn't want a sub team concept associated with a person/character they don't own. The last time we got Slaughters Marauders was in 2011 as part of a retailer exclusive.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, if anyone has some nostalgia for the off-brand 3-3/4" compatible plastic vehicles that were available back in the day, apparently TimMee is bringing some of them back. They have a transport truck, a tank, a jeep, and then this monster of a fortress:
...also available in 1/4 sections if you don't want something that big.
Honestly, the price is a little high for what I would do with them (playing with the 4-year old), but if I were setting up vintage layouts, these would almost be a must-have. I'm hoping they might reproduce one or both of their helicopter molds some day. That would be a definite buy for nostalgia reasons.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Amazon has the BAT and Cobra Officer on sale with coupons. Each is marked to about $22, with an additional coupon for $5.50 or so off each.

For 3.75" fans, The Batman's Batcave is getting a $5 coupon ON TOP of being marked down to $20.

electricidad

Citizen
I went ahead and cancelled my TF Outback. I had no real love for that version of the character; the regular version is still available on Amazon; and I noticed I placed the pre-order Oct. 24, 2021.

Almost a year to the day

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I've got preorders on Pulse for "my essentials": Recondo, Bazooka, and the Viper as well as Duke. I'm confident Hasbro will do me right with these. I have ZERO faith in the Target preorder system

Top Bottom