Futurama - new season on Hulu

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It was rather episodic, for the most part, but I wouldn't say it was lacking in plot. It wasn't all sight gags and was rather cleverly written for the most part. How often does a cartoon end up getting a mathematical theorem named after it?

wentwood

Citizen
Started the Comedy Central Era on DVD. I watched the movies over several days. The last one I saw was the mind swapping incident in Futurama VI.

I feel this run is actually 4 series of 13 each. Starting the 2nd 13 this week. Hulu also lists them in 4 13 block sets.

Shadewing

Citizen
So no comments on the first episode on the new season?

I thought it was fairly mid overall, it does the whole 'we're back' stuff, as expected; but unlike Bender's Big Score or Rebirth; that's pretty much ALL this episode is; just meta comedy about streaming and being revived. Even the story they tell to link it togeather just falls completely flat for me "Oh no, Fry's gonna die if his binging ends" yes, I'm fully sure that Fry is gonna die in the first episode of the season, and if he doesn't certainly won't be brought back through some silly nonsense. Which is basically the exact route they take (except everyone just believes him dead, and he's not which seems to further make the entire plot moot tbh). And it doesn't help that other series that have gotten streaming contracts have ALSO done this 'lets make fun of streaming' such as South Park and their two part movie "The Streaming Wars" which at least had a plot line beyond just meta jokes. But so far it seems that I'm in the majority of thinking this is a weak episode. I'm much more looking forward to next week's episode "Children of a Lesser Bog" to see if the series really can recapture the charm and magic they had before.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Won't be one of my favorite episodes, but it wasn't bad.

wentwood

Citizen
Currently on Series VII on DVD. (2nd 13 from Comedy Central)

Also watching Series III from Fox on DVD.

I plan to wait till all 20 of the Hulu era are up to see it so I'll finish the Comedy Central run on DVD.

The CC run of Futurama is decent from seeing the movies and the first 13 episodes.

I'll wait a few more to see how it is.

I would like to add Volume 9 and 10 to my disk library at some point.

I'm surprised they didn't relist Volume 5 as Volume 6 since the movies are Series V.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
I have 38 episodes from Comedy Central to finish on DVD presently.

Seen 34 so far.

The Comedy Central run has just gotten more weird than funny.

The Fox run was goofy but good admittedly.

Shadewing

Citizen
Ep 2: Children of a Lesser Bog

Okay, this was much better then last week's metarama. While it's still not as good as older episodes, this was a good episode; though for an emotional one I'd certainly consider it a weaker one overall. And that's becuase I feel like the plot beats between the emotional moments aren't strong enough; since between the candy plot that mostly goes no where and forced exposition and reminding people of 'Kif gets knocked up a notch' and kinda rushed feeling ending. But this still has a lot of really good moments, and we get our first shake up to the status quo with Axel, Mandy, and Newt. I half expected them to get poochy'd by the end, tbh; but I am glad to be wrong.

I'm kinda looking forward to next week's episode, since while its dealing with Crypto it seems to be doing so more in classic futurama style by putting a larger spin on it then just putting the issues in the futurama world like a lot of CC era episodes.

wentwood

Citizen
So far the CC run is getting nuts.

Futurama VII

Seen so far

Leela hunted a space whale
Fry joins the NNYPD
Hubert becomes a yetti
Also the micro Bender episode
The haunting Bender episode
The gender swapping episode
Leela writes a kid's TV series
Fry hatches an alien from an egg

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
Top culture puns

Futurama VII
Fry Am The Egg Man

Scooby - Doo Gag

Amy -

"Oh no! - He Scooby - Dooed us!

Scooby - Doo Gag #2

Saturday Morning Fun Pit

Bendy - Boo minisode

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ep 2: Children of a Lesser Bog

Okay, this was much better then last week's metarama. While it's still not as good as older episodes, this was a good episode; though for an emotional one I'd certainly consider it a weaker one overall. And that's becuase I feel like the plot beats between the emotional moments aren't strong enough; since between the candy plot that mostly goes no where and forced exposition and reminding people of 'Kif gets knocked up a notch' and kinda rushed feeling ending. But this still has a lot of really good moments, and we get our first shake up to the status quo with Axel, Mandy, and Newt. I half expected them to get poochy'd by the end, tbh; but I am glad to be wrong.

I'm kinda looking forward to next week's episode, since while its dealing with Crypto it seems to be doing so more in classic futurama style by putting a larger spin on it then just putting the issues in the futurama world like a lot of CC era episodes.
Was Leela being the actual mother father in the original episode? It's been a while since I saw the birthing ep.

Shadewing

Citizen
Was Leela being the actual mother father in the original episode? It's been a while since I saw the birthing ep.

Yes, it was one of the main plot points of the episode.

---

Episode 3: How the West was 1010001

Yeah, this is a good example of how to deal with topical subjects. It actually barely focuses on the Crypto stuff, and is more of an excuse for them to do a Western-esque story. The main plot is good, but the b plot with Bender is... well is kinda just is. Though there are some nice references, like we see his guitar from Forty Percent Leadbelly. Its not as good overall as the last episode, but still better then the first.

wentwood

Citizen
After I finish the Fox episodes of Futurama the first leg from Hulu should be up.

22 episodes from Comedy Central yet.

Shadewing

Citizen
Episode 4: Parasites Regained

First of all, I find the title disingenuous; it should have been Parasites Found, as Fry does not get parasites again, they are infecting Nibbler this time. Though I suppose it is following the naming conventions of the poems that the episode names are taken from. But this is just me being nitpicky. Though this episode really isn't about the Parasites at all, they're the catalyst for the plot but they're barely a part of it. This is all an excuse to parody Dune. And they anvil that home many times. "Oh you're dung beetles." "It's pronounced Dune-g. The g is almost silent." - That said, this is probably my favorite episode. There's a lot of good jokes, a few call backs (Like Bender being able to tap dance), and some good emotional bits because the parasites have the opposite effect on Nibbler then they did fry; making him dumber and act more animal/dog like. I'm still not sure if I'd say the Hulu stuff is as good as some of the older stuff, but for me each episode is at least slightly better then the last.

wentwood

Citizen
Thanks to my DVD catch up I've now seen all of the Comedy Central episodes of Futurama and I saw the previous 13 over the air prior to the Hulu switch.

Now to catch up the Fox era episodes. I own them on DVD.

wentwood

Citizen
One of the rudest episodes ever of Futurama.

Bender loses his rear end and they had to find it

Top Bottom