Friendship is Random: MLP TTRPGs

Dvandom

Citizen
Looks like the rather good Tails of Equestria game is coming to an end unless there's a non-exclusivity in their license, as Renegade Studios continues its sweep of Hasbro properties with a MLP TTPRG (and a card game) available for pre-order. They've been awfully quiet about the actual systems, so there's no real indication if the GIJoe, TF, and MLP games will be fully compatible...but I doubt the systems will be significantly different. This feels a bit cookie-cutter: get property, release TTRPG and card game simultaneously, move on to next property. I've pre-ordered the TF and MLP games, but I don't have super high expectations.

---Dave

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
That's disappointing but unsurprising. Admittedly, I only own the core book from Tales of Equestria. I'll have to decide if I'm going to buy more and if I do, whether it'll be a physical book of digitally through Drive Thru RPG.

Dvandom

Citizen
(Hm, looks like theres one more Tails product I don't own, the Compendium of Equestria. Yoink!)

Dvandom

Citizen
My copy of the Compendium of Equestria arrived today. A little more than half is the gazetteer suggested by the cover, and the rest is clearly "We lost the license, can get out one more book before it terminates, so we're putting everything we have left into it." So, an expansion to the creatures book, several new player races (some from the show, one from a previous Tails supplement), an extensive GM's Toolkit section, and even a short adventure.

I never did get a chance to play the game, but at least I have all the books, so should an opportunity present itself in the future and the Renegade game sucks, I still have Tails.

---Dave

Dvandom

Citizen
The PDF of the Renegade TTRPG is now available (although I had to go looking for mine, I didn't get any notice that my pre-purchase was available).

The gear system isn't as embarrassingly GIJoe-ish as in their Transformers game, but there's still a Wealth Check system and a few pages of gear you can get (including D&D5E-style skill kits).

I don't plan to fully read it until I have my hardcopy in hand (at which point it goes in the TBR stack), but I doubt I'll like it as much as I liked the River Horse Tales of Equestria system.

---Dave

Dvandom

Citizen
The opening lines of the gear section are about how pony adventurers rarely use gear, preferring to rely on their brains, hooves, and magic...and then presents a gear system anyway.

---Dave

Top Bottom