Florida, Florida, Florida

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
You had no say in where you were born, or where you might be stuck.

You have a lot of say in choosing to live in the most dangerous part of where you're stuck. It's nice to visit to yellowstone park, but you don't build condos on the geysers, you know?
So, I deserve to to suffer if I've chosen to live in Japan, and and there's an earthquake?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
You had no say in where you were born, or where you might be stuck.

You have a lot of say in choosing to live in the most dangerous part of where you're stuck. It's nice to visit to yellowstone park, but you don't build condos on the geysers, you know?
To be fair, if the dormant volcano UNDER the geysers goes, more than Yellowstone is going to be toast. Or if you live in the Midwest when the New Madrid fault line finally rips a 8+ magnitude quake in a region that hasn’t had a major earthquake in two centuries.

Climate change has caused the Sahara to expand, the UK seeing it’s highest temps EVER RECORDED, and the average “once a decade event” has become every few years.

It doesn’t matter WHERE we are on this planet anymore, we’re readily running out of “safe” places to reside.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Florida has some pretty tough homes. We know how to build something that can withstand most hurricanes. We just don't always do it. We could change that. Trailer parks should not be allowed to exist in this state. Glorified trailers pretending to be houses shouldn't get an exception either. It doesn't take a storm this strong to blow them away. It just takes a storm this strong to blow this many away. The problem is our government has been okay with only a few blowing away every year or two.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Thankfully, his presidential ambitions are ending now, so at least there's that.

Oh I don't believe that for a second. I have zero faith in a weasel like DeSantis to not take full credit for the 99% Federal rebuild of Florida and parlay it into an even stronger Presidential ambition. We'll see.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, he can take all the credit he wants: he's still going to be shown on teevee asking for and receiving money from biden. Floridians might vote for him in 24, but other die hard fascists won't because they saw him work with democrats.

Is he done and over? No, of course not, but his presidential ambitions are a lot less likely now. Plus we get to see ads where he's called weak and pathetic by his fellow republicans in the future because he actually did the right thing for once.

So unless he spends all that fema money trafficking people allowed to be in the country: he just made his own road longer and harder.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nah. Even if anybody actually cared about that (they don't), he's also going on TV asking much more prominently for donations to private organizations, under the premise that they don't have the statutory guidelines and limitations of FEMA.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I wouldn't count on anything short of the grim reaper keeping him down. And I'm not expecting that. Only the good die young, after all.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That was before the Republicans gained the power of Jedi Mind Tricking their constituents into forgetting or disbelieving anything inconvenient about them.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The new spin will be that he demanded Biden give him the money because Sleepy Joe's too weak to deny him. It's the kind of alpha male bullshit the cult loves.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
They'll find some way to rationalize these actions, assuming they don't outright pretend they didn't happen. Nothing Republicans have done so far has changed Floridians' minds about them. Why would these?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Something to think about.

_126924633_mobile-home-park-01.jpg

".. For Renee Smith and her paralysed, cancer-stricken husband Christopher, evacuation was not an option when Hurricane Ian came violently bearing down on their Florida home.

"It would have taken an ambulance, a stretcher, and three grown men to move him," she said of Christopher, who became paralysed just days before the hurricane as a result of prostate cancer spreading to his spine. "I had no control and it was terrifying."

Without any other choices, Mrs Smith resorted to desperate measures to protect her husband. She used cable ties and gaffer tape to attach a tarpaulin to his hospital bed in a bid to keep him dry and used his wheelchair to barricade the front door from the 150mph (241km/h) winds...

...In Ian's wake, some Florida residents have come under criticism for failing to heed repeated warnings and calls to evacuate. But for families like the Smiths and hundreds of thousands of others, logistical and financial hurdles to evacuation meant that staying was the only option..."

(Source: - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63105430 )

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
They'll find some way to rationalize these actions, assuming they don't outright pretend they didn't happen. Nothing Republicans have done so far has changed Floridians' minds about them. Why would these?
Because it's one thing to take away some one ELSES home, its another thing entirely to lose your own. When trump and maga don't come through for them after everything they've already given, they'll be pretty ******* pissed. A lot of these floridians have lost literally everything, and the prevailing conditions before ian mean it's already impossible to rebuild.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
And this?

DeSantis' first act when he was in the House of Representatives was voting against Federal aid to Hurricane Sandy victims. This is not new in the Republican playbook. Hell, Red States almost universally have to take federal aid yearly. It's all political theater.

At least Gaetz showed up. Rubio's been MIA on most votes. I wish I had a job I wasn't required to show up and do the one thing I'm supposed to do.

Top Bottom