Florida, Florida, Florida

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, yeah, hard to get my sympathy on that. Who's dumb enough to live on an island in a tidal basin anyway?

An exceptionally cozy island with the nicest beaches in the whole state. There's people who are into that enough that they're willing to take the risk.

MrBlud

Citizen
Which is fine.

They gambled and lost. Don’t rebuild anything and give people vouchers (should they need them) to move elsewhere so we can avoid wasting money, resources, and lives by constructing another house of cards that’ll need to get bailed out again in another half decade (or sooner)

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Were these homes really that bad a bet 20 years ago, before we really starting to tank the environment?

Sjogre

Citizen
It was obvious that we were tanking the environment twenty years ago. I suppose that it wasn't obvious that we were going to do sweet ****-all about it, though.

MrBlud

Citizen
Were these homes really that bad a bet 20 years ago, before we really starting to tank the environment?

Maybe those specific ones weren’t but we’ve been rebuilding town in flood plains and tornado alleys SEVERAL TIMES over the past few decades.

I sympathize with those who lived/grew up there but “the definition of insanity” does apply.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Maybe those specific ones weren’t but we’ve been rebuilding town in flood plains and tornado alleys SEVERAL TIMES over the past few decades.

I sympathize with those who lived/grew up there but “the definition of insanity” does apply.
I mean, I live in Kansas and have my own thoughts on people who live in trailer homes. I get your point and, generally, agree.

I do not understand why people live in certain places (Australia in general, but I hate snakes) but does that mean we punish them for that choice?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I can definitely see that turning into a slippery slope, where our idea of what's a safe place to live gets more and more narrow until we're all huddled together in the one place that the data shows has never been hit by a single natural disaster... only for the long-overdue natural disaster to actually hit that place and wipe out the whole human race in one go.

...Did I just accidentally write a corny mid-20th-century science fiction story?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I chose to live in Japan. Is that justification for me to suffer if I suffer a nuclear meltdown, tsunami or earthquake?

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
You specifically? No.

We all live on earth: something is going to happen to all of us eventually. Fire, flood, earthquakes, any number of water based disasters given how much of it is here. It's not like we AREN'T doing all kind of data gathering about just about everything: If you want to build/buy a house in a tidal basin, a flood plain, a volcanic area, earthquake prone area, a rock slide or avalanche zone: You'll have a damned hard time getting my sympathy for it when the inevitable happens.

If your insurance broker starts crossing shit off your policy: you might need more information and/or to reconsider your choices.

Does this limit options? Sadly, yes. Do the rich already control the best places to live? Again: yes. Just another reason to kill them off.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Why kill them off. Better to put them in cages as a backup food supply if things get really bad.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Keeping them alive that long would take more resources than it's worth. Like keeping your car running at all times in case you need to pick up some milk next week.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
These are human beings that literally treat countless other human beings just like this. What the mega rich do to get there should make you more uncomfortable than jokes about eating them.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Just a bit of gallows humor. I'm pretty sure my conscious would get to me purposely hurting someone even if they happened to literally BE HITLER.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I was referring to those of us that have "chosen" to live in dangerous areas of the world. However, wishing death upon others isn't something I feel happy these days going out, even if the thought has entered my mind occasionally.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
You had no say in where you were born, or where you might be stuck.

You have a lot of say in choosing to live in the most dangerous part of where you're stuck. It's nice to visit to yellowstone park, but you don't build condos on the geysers, you know?

Top Bottom