Florida, Florida, Florida

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Frankly the government shouldn't have anything to do with party affiliations anyway. Lists like that could easily be used for nefarious parties if the wrong people get into power. It's one of the reasons I'm still officially listed as 'independent'(that and as much as I know they are inevitable due to human nature, I don't LIKE the idea of political parties, really should be the candidate in question you are voting for, NOT weather or not they have an R, D or some lesser used letter next to their name)

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Just so I understand this right, not being an expert on US election law, but if someone's party affiliation is switched from Democrat to Republican, it prevents them from voting in the Democrat primaries, but they can still vote for the Democrat candidate in the election proper?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yes. It only directly affects the primaries, and only in states that require membership in a party to vote in that party's primary, which is the case in Florida. In November we can vote however we want.

But there are indirect effects. There's speculation that the real goal behind this was to pad the GOP's ability to say "Look at our side's surge in voter registrations in Florida! Why would Democrats even bother?" to scare Democrat donors out of throwing any money at Florida.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
they must be ******* desperate if they think changing voters' registrations will instantly change who they vote for, lol

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Yes. It only directly affects the primaries, and only in states that require membership in a party to vote in that party's primary, which is the case in Florida. In November we can vote however we want.
I wonder how things work in states with true open primaries. Ohio is considered a hybrid because, during the primaries, you have to specifically say which ballot you want to fill out—Democrat, Republican, or neither for just the issues (referendums) that are up for vote that year. And then they definitely add you to some kind of registration when you do because I started getting mail from the Republican Party in 2016.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
^ Switched parties to vote for Kasich, am I right?
"Switched" isn't quite the word, as I'd never voted in a primary before that. The only primary where I might conceivably have been invested enough in the outcome was 2004, and I think that was a few months before I was actually registered to vote.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen

There is no other term for it. This is genocide against the LGBT community.
remember when these sick ***** wanted to force schools to basically molest trans kids? these bastards get off on hurting innocent kids, dude. and then they project the pedophile cabal shit onto their enemies to deflect from their own child abuse fantasies.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
Literal Nazis hold rallies in Orlando and ******* beat up and spit on the grandchild of holocaust survivors; guess who doesn't say anything bad about the ******* NAZIS and blames the Democrats?

1645682896368.png

naturally, the psycho asshole who committed the biggest act of mass murder on Florida soil since the days of settlers killing the Native Americans is perfectly ******* fine with people who want to commit genocide.

Paladin

Citizen

Preview of coming attractions.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So Florida's legislature passed a terrible bill designed to eviscerate our solar panel industry, solely as an obvious favor to the power companies. See if you put solar panels on your roof and don't have to buy as much energy from the power companies, they make less money, and they consider it terribly unfair to have to make less money for selling less energy. They want a right to your money whether you're buying from them or not. That's called the free market.

Credit where it's due, DeSantis vetoed that shit this week, to the absolute shock of pretty much everyone. He bucked his party and his donors on this one.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
DeSantis is having a broken clock moment. Savor it while it lasts.

Top Bottom