Florida, Florida, Florida

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Actually, it's WAKE.

So we can get them for failing basic spelling, AND the whole "don't wake up" angle.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Reading the crap individual states try to pull just serves to push me further and further into the “abolish states rights” camp.

One country, one set of rules. Isn’t that how other countries work?
It cuts both ways. I wouldn't want California to be banned from passing strict environmental laws to cope with what a train wreck its own ecosystem has become, or having a higher minimum wage than everywhere else because the cost of living is so much higher. Nor do I want Maine to have its ranked ballot system shut down because the rest of the country doesn't universally agree to adopt it.

"One set of rules" is a great idea until you remember that that includes the rules you don't like.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Or until you realize that the GIANT ******* CONTINENT was subdivided into arbitrary geopolitical units for a reason.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The real meat of the proposal:

Under the statute, the legislation would also grant parents a private right of action to enforce the ban on Critical Race Theory in schools and file lawsuits against school districts accused of teaching it, with attorney’s fees recovered “when they prevail,” DeSantis said.

“A lot of times these people will fear lawsuits more than a fine from the state Department of Education because when you do a lawsuit, you get discovery, and you’re subject to that, and when they say they’re not doing CRT and then you have all this information showing that they are doing it, it really is an uncomfortable position for them,” DeSantis said. “I think that gives parents the ability to go in and ensure that our state standards are being followed.”

[...]

DeSantis said the legislation would also include provisions to give employees an ability to protect themselves against what he called “corporate CRT,” referencing programs allegedly held within Bank of America, Verizon and Google as those that encourage employees to “become woke at work.”

“We believe that this corporate CRT, it’s basically corporate-sanctioned racism, and they’re trying to shove it down these employees’ throats, we believe that that violates the Florida civil rights laws,” DeSantis said.

This is starting to look like a trend. It seems like the GOP's new favorite attack plan is to encourage private citizens to swamp the system with lawsuits.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Surprisingly I wonder if any of them understand how long and expensive a process this will be.

Ironbite-and if they lose, how much they'll be on the hook for.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Between rich donors who desperately want republicans in charge, and the oppressed masses brainwashed into "voting" for them: it's not their money anyway, so they don't care how much it costs.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
This is starting to look like a trend. It seems like the GOP's new favorite attack plan is to encourage private citizens to swamp the system with lawsuits.
We can add "clogging up the legal system with frivolous lawsuits" to the list of things the Republicans only oppose when they're not the ones doing it.

I mean, we could probably just replace the list with a single scrap of paper saying "everything", but it's handy to have a running tally.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
You always could man, you always could.

Proofing it, though... that's where the problem is.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*cue Sean Hannity telling the world that Covert Agent Rodimal's lawsuit is destroying the USA*

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Be at Horses spot when we fetch him. We might could strap you to the roof with duct tape or something.

Top Bottom