Florida, Florida, Florida

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Florida School Boards Association is withdrawing from the National School Boards Association. The vote was unanimous.

Ironbite4

Citizen
It means Florida doesn't want to hold itself to the same standards of learning as the rest of the nation. Which will hurt people trying to apply to collages outside of Florida because an A in Florida might be a B or D in Montana.

Ironbite-also means Florida doesn't have to teach the same things as the rest of the nation.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, okay, that actually is very bad. Does it affect colleges and universities? Cause it might actually hurt the bottom line then.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Florida is really trying that whole supremacy clause. All it will take is one mid level admin to push enough to force a court case.
Congrats on wasting all that taxpayer money on absolutely nothing.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Only if it affects Athletic scholarships. Remember Sportsball >>> Academia.
You've also got a fair number of universities: and if all those students suddenly have to either PROVE or REACQUIRE their credentials if they leave the state: the number of outside students will drop, the economy will tank because the output of basically every possible industry will be in question, and the locals who cannot get an education from out of state will functionally find themselves TRAPPED in the state because their diplomas will be worthless the second they cross an arbritrary geo-political line.

Literally the same stupid shit quebec is trying to do. This path just ends in poverty and violence.

Teufel

Citizen
Yeah, okay, that actually is very bad. Does it affect colleges and universities? Cause it might actually hurt the bottom line then.

Just for some context, the National School Boards Association published a letter it sent to the White House inquiring about using the Patriot Act against parents at school board meetings it deemed threatening and violent in protesting critical race theory and mask mandates. It also used the term "domestic terrorism" which some parents did not take kindly to.

So this is not one state out of the blue deciding to pull out, but part of a continuing nationwide backlash that's not limited to red states. More than half of state associations have condemned National over the letter and we're up to 12 or 13 states that have outright severed ties, including several Joe Biden won. Apparently there's been a lot of acrimony with National for years and this has been the final straw for some, so it's not just about the letter for everyone (but I'm not as familiar with that side of it.)

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
So no more national accreditation program for schools, effectively? Incoming Trump College....

Ironbite4

Citizen
Just for some context, the National School Boards Association published a letter it sent to the White House inquiring about using the Patriot Act against parents at school board meetings it deemed threatening and violent in protesting critical race theory and mask mandates. It also used the term "domestic terrorism" which some parents did not take kindly to.

So this is not one state out of the blue deciding to pull out, but part of a continuing nationwide backlash that's not limited to red states. More than half of state associations have condemned National over the letter and we're up to 12 or 13 states that have outright severed ties, including several Joe Biden won. Apparently there's been a lot of acrimony with National for years and this has been the final straw for some, so it's not just about the letter for everyone (but I'm not as familiar with that side of it.)

Yeah I'm not sure using the Patriot Act against violent psychopaths who are protesting a right wing talking point and something that keeps kids alive is the right thing but something has to done with MAGA morons.

Ironbite-warms my heart to see them getting a taste of right wing medicine.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Our governor is proposing to allow corporations to pay state fees with cryptocurrency.

This is a baby step towards launching Gatorcoin, isn't it?

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Or for a hacker to break the entire system and crash the entire state into chaos. Well, more chaos.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Or we'll suddenly become the wealthiest state in the country.

According to us.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I can't help but feel that the recent developments in florida are just testing for something else. I mean: I didn't think the states were allowed to even offer the option of accepting anything other than US currency.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Nah, I think the only hard rule is they can't NOT take US currency as payment.

Kup

Citizen
Reading the crap individual states try to pull just serves to push me further and further into the “abolish states rights” camp.

One country, one set of rules. Isn’t that how other countries work?

Top Bottom