Favourte Gimmicks?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Triple Changers (Better in theory than in practice?_

Depends upon the character having the three modes, Siege Astrotrain is a very good triple Changer, sure the Shuttle mode has a little bit of a issue due to the nature of the desgin, but overall, he is a well done figure!

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I'd love to see more Brave-esque odd combinations come back, and I would also be pretty okay with them making articulation sacrifices in the name of a sturdier, more visually-appealing combined form. We do have the engineering to make articulation happen and be good and solid these days, but not the budget to do it on most wide-release toys. Basically every CW/UW scramble city guy I've messed with wants to crumble under their own weight in half the poses I'd want, but Devastator and Predaking are mostly rock-solid - and boy do you pay for that engineering.

I feel like this direction is where that teeny Volcanicus is going, given how compromised Sludge's robot mode is, so I'm eager to see how the finished combiner ends up.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Depends upon the character having the three modes, Siege Astrotrain is a very good triple Changer, sure the Shuttle mode has a little bit of a issue due to the nature of the desgin, but overall, he is a well done figure!
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for passing up on a cheap Siege Astrotrain when I had a chance in favour of Shockwave. Figured I'd get another chance with ER, but that didn't work out.

I've probably said this lots before, but T30 Springer is definitely a top tier triple changer, too.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
My T30 Springer is fairly desent, thou the front of his car mode doesn't quite go flush as its meant to be, but the retool to Sandstorm, does it better, thou he is rather back heavy due to the massive wheels, thou we yet to see an update on his actual G1 look!

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
There's always the new Galaxy Shuttle.
That's definitely one way to get the mold, but I really prefer it in its original use. I just need to be patient. 🙂
My T30 Springer is fairly desent, thou the front of his car mode doesn't quite go flush as its meant to be, but the retool to Sandstorm, does it better, thou he is rather back heavy due to the massive wheels, thou we yet to see an update on his actual G1 look!
Yeah, that windshield does need a good bit of massaging, and even then it doesn't really stay together. But I find that's pretty minor in the grand scheme.

I think I was one of the few that was never really enamoured with the Sandstorm retool. I definitely wouldn't mind a more classic redo!

ZacDeath

WWOPD
Citizen
I liked the auto-morph gimmick from the 2007 movie line. Well when it worked. That laser light the Prime voyagers had was the worst, not only was it lame, but it compromised the transformations.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I liked the auto-morph gimmick from the 2007 movie line. Well when it worked. That laser light the Prime voyagers had was the worst, not only was it lame, but it compromised the transformations.
It also compromised several of the early Animated figures that had no business recycling the first movie line's Automorph gimmick.

And because of that, we still don't have a good, stable, Voyager class figure of Animated Optimus.

Glitch

Citizen
With my Siege Springer, I gave him my T30 Springer sword, that was a superior weapon to what we got with Siege!
Didn't do that but I did do the following: TR Blitzwing got T30 Blitzwing's weapons, TR Windblade got T30 Windblade's sword, ER Cliffjumper got T30 Cliffjumper's gun.
Only because their new one's are/were naff.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spark crystals all day. Love love love those. Little bit of clear gemlike plastic with chrome backing and a sculpted-in symbol, mwah.

Actually clear plastic in general, although the breakage risks always give me anxiety. This applies to everything else on this list, as you'll see.

I also quickly grew to love partner Mini-Cons. Especially if they had nice integration in vehicle mode too, and/or a Targetmaster ish weapon mode. Love it even more when there's a fictional fleshing-out of what the power linking does; I fanon'd this for UT combinations and was happy to see when something similar was done with Titan Masters (giving specific powers and boosts to their bulks).

Also fond of clear weapons and variations thereof. The Superlink clear weapon recolor campaign was super cool, and I snapped up any other version of those weapons (even the non-clear Movie era ones). Trying to do the same for the many Arms Microns variations, although some of those I've resigned myself to not pursuing.

I myself am not much for combining all the weapons, but I love seeing others do that. Myself I just really like how the different colored weapons form a Jolly Ranchers armory when all laid out. Have a field day imagining different elemental and energy bases and powers for the colors.

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
Super-articulation. That was a gimmick in G2 (specifically, G2 Smokescreen was promoted as having it), and it has since become mostly standard.

---Dave

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Super-articulation. That was a gimmick in G2 (specifically, G2 Smokescreen was promoted as having it), and it has since become mostly standard.

---Dave
It's kinda gone back to being a gimmick for the likes of Cyberverse and EarthSpark. Only Deluxes, certain Warriors, and certain Ultras are now allowed to have it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Automorph was the best Movie gimmick when it worked. Even when it wasn't particularly spectacular it still forced the designs to have some genuine layering of parts instead of just sculpting it. 2007 Movie toys sometimes capture that aspect of the aesthetic better than some later theoretically more accurate toys.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
As much as I'm not a fan of the movie aesthetic, I will always be impressed by the 07 movie toys considering the toy designers and engineers at Hasbro and Takara had to go from Cybertron and Classics to that.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Classics was intend to be a filler line until the movie came out, but they were working with early desgins of the characters for the 07 movie, but they upped their game with ROTF in places, I mean the leader OP was miles ahead of the 07 leader, not to say that the 07 leader was a bad figure, but it was clear they were working off early desgins, while classics was pretty much taking G1 looks and giving them a bit more of a modern twist, of course, classics lead into Universe 2.0 as the first Universe was pretty much a repaint line if I recall correctly, then Universe became Generations and the rest as they say, is history, at least until Studio series came along

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
07 Leader Prime is a better attempt than it usually gets credit for. The proportions are way off, but a lot of the details are there. The paint job makes the underlying details look more wrong than they actually are.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
07 Leader Prime is a better attempt than it usually gets credit for. The proportions are way off, but a lot of the details are there. The paint job makes the underlying details look more wrong than they actually are.
Basically, 07 Leader Prime is Movie Optimus run through a Transformers: Cybertron filter.

Top Bottom