Ezra Miller is somehow The Flash in the DCEU

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
If anything, the trailer showed me that this is not the Flash movie I want. I cannot express how much I dislike the whole "Flashpoint" storyline and the fact that it just dominates as THE Flash story now for some reason.
Nice to see Keaton, but I don't need this and hope it goes away so we can get on with the much needed reboot of the DC cinematic universe.

Shadewing

Citizen
If anything, the trailer showed me that this is not the Flash movie I want. I cannot express how much I dislike the whole "Flashpoint" storyline and the fact that it just dominates as THE Flash story now for some reason.
Nice to see Keaton, but I don't need this and hope it goes away so we can get on with the much needed reboot of the DC cinematic universe.

Yes, but now I'm wondering if this isn't mind to be both the swansong of the old DCEU and the start of Gunn's; it might be why they've been so desperate to keep it.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I feel like it'll be the swansong of the current cinematic universe but there's some interesting things here. It's using the movies so breaking the universe brings in the Michael Keaton Batman and the Michael Shannon Zod as opposed to using the Atlantis vs Themiscyra element of the comics. It's entirely possible that the worst part of this will be the real life actions of Ezra Miller as opposed to the movie script.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Honestly, this trailer just makes me want more of the current DCEU, not Gunn's reboot featuring his usual schtick of spotlighting C-listers. I don't think I'm the only one who will have that reaction.

Dessl0ck

Citizen
I always disliked Miller as Barry, didnt seem to fit the part but I'll be damned if this doesnt look awesome! The old DCEU was a wreck, don't get me wrong, I loved Watchmen and it is still in my top 5 comic book movies, but I dont want every movie to be a Watcmen-esque take on heroes. Gunn's DCU cant arrive fast enough (heh) for me, but I am really looking forward to The Flash, now.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I watched the trailer and I just have mixed feelings about this, partly down to the actor playing the Flash, but the trailer makes it feel more like a Batman film thou in my mind, one of the mistakes of Warner's handling of the DC characters is, not really addressing the Flash's origins story and his first solo outing should of been about actually setting up the character properly beyond his appearance in Justice League, instead they jump straight into a major story without giving much insight into the character and his feelings

MrBlud

Citizen
Honestly, this trailer just makes me want more of the current DCEU, not Gunn's reboot featuring his usual schtick of spotlighting C-listers. I don't think I'm the only one who will have that reaction.

Man is writing a Superman movie and yet he’s somehow “spotlighting C-listers”.

The Snyderverse is a trainwreck in every sense of the world and the sooner it’s dead and gone the better.

Dessl0ck

Citizen
Ya see, this is what I want. I don't care if Gunn does a JLI movie as long as we get some interesting characters to build up that don't involve the big 3. Peacemaker was amazing, and as cool as the Titans would be I WANT the Authority, I WANT to see Blue Beetle regardless of which one it is, hell, we have seen 3 Supermen, 6 (?) Batmen, granted only 1 Wonder Woman, but give me Hawk Woman or any of the female Lanterns. Let's see some C/D-listers that make mention of the others and go from there.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Ya see, this is what I want. I don't care if Gunn does a JLI movie as long as we get some interesting characters to build up that don't involve the big 3. Peacemaker was amazing, and as cool as the Titans would be I WANT the Authority, I WANT to see Blue Beetle regardless of which one it is, hell, we have seen 3 Supermen, 6 (?) Batmen, granted only 1 Wonder Woman, but give me Hawk Woman or any of the female Lanterns. Let's see some C/D-listers that make mention of the others and go from there.

I'm kind of in agreement, kind of, but what DC needs in reailty, is a clean break, start over from scratch, for that, they need the League to be a sucess, but the problem has been that they are always to focused on playing catch up to Marvel, the whole reason the DC Universe has been in such a mess on film, is the fact that they went into panic mode the moment the Avengers became extremely sucessful, when Man of Steal didn't preform as the top brass wanted, they mandated B V S instead of Man of Steal 2 then JL was a resulting flop because it was born of a studio in a rush to catch up to their rival and they kept tripping over themselves, if they simply taken things at a slower pace, and bought in the B list characters within the A lister roster films, they could of spun them off into their own films, of course, apart of DC's troubles has been the choices of actors playing major roles, they really need to look at the personalties of these actors or actresses prior to hiring, AH was a disaster waiting to happen when she began abusing her role in Aquaman and getting onboard of the metwo movement, while Miller, they really should of gotten rid of him when that footage of him strangling someone appear online and with everything else that transpired with him is pointing to someone having a serious mental break down and it would of been wiser to simply cut the Flash Point movie to avoid negative PR, that is all that really coming out of Warner with DC movies, negative PR, its like they keep hitting themsevles in the face for fun!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
To be fair, DC has some of the BEST C-listers in comics. The Metal Men. The Inferior Five. Ambush Bug. Aztek. The ENTIRE Justice League International. Doctor Thirteen. The Secret Six. Animal Man. Warlord. Shade the Changing Man. The Haunted Tank. Rex the Wonder Dog.

A lot of Marvel C-listers are a little lame or samey or forgettable. But a LOT of DC's C-listers are WEIRD and FUN!

That being said, I feel like starting with the Creature Commandos is a...odd choice. They're NOT like the Guardians of the Galaxy. They don't have a really solid run of comics to pull stories from. They're...maybe a interesting high concept, but that's it. But, it's being animated, so I'm guessing it'll be solid enough anyway.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
To be fair, DC has some of the BEST C-listers in comics. The Metal Men. The Inferior Five. Ambush Bug. Aztek. The ENTIRE Justice League International. Doctor Thirteen. The Secret Six. Animal Man. Warlord. Shade the Changing Man. The Haunted Tank. Rex the Wonder Dog.

A lot of Marvel C-listers are a little lame or samey or forgettable. But a LOT of DC's C-listers are WEIRD and FUN!

Thinking on this, I'm not sure I completely agree on Marvel's C-Listers.

Moon Knight I would have put there, and Marvel found a way to make him interesting. Squirrel Girl is always a favorite. Disney just gave Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur a shot. Uptil Gunn did the first movie the GoTG certainly were and were popular enough to consitantly have their own series. West Coast Avengers are always pretty popular considering all they are are weird heroes. Hell, I'd probably rank Deadpool here before the movies as well. Gwenpool is certainly there. She's one of the better takes on a distaff counterpart that manages to have their own idenity and be weird and fun n their own way. Black Knight is another C-Lister that I would put in this category, espically in the past decade where he's this pseudo grimdark character that doesn't actually want to be grimdark. Sometimes all it takes to make these characters weird and fun, is the right person to realize that is their appeal.

I'm not sure how you couldn't call a lot of their characters weird and fun. Like maybe DC does have more, but I feel its unfair to make it sound like Marvel doesn't have any.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, I was definitely exaggerating a little. Marvel does have weird and fun characters. Howard the Duck. The Symbiotes/Klyntar. Slapstick. Captain Universe, The Howling Commandos (who are VERY similar to the Creature Commandos). Beta Ray Bill. Nextwave Agents of HATE. Agents of Atlas. Spider-Ham. The Great Lakes Avengers/X-Men. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Incredible Hercules.

It's just that...Marvel's universe feels more consistent and grounded than DC's does, usually. DC feels like a patchwork pastiche of different genres and tones, while Marvel usually maintains a more consistent tone. And that's because DC actually IS made up of a bunch of different characters acquired from different companies, and who all interact with each other fairly regularly, if only due to the MANY Crisises. For a good chunk of time, DC wasn't afraid to be a little silly, and it made some the characters more memorable, at least in my opinion. DC was just willing to go that extra step crazier than Marvel, usually.

When a obscure DC hero shows up, I feel like they KNOW they're a little silly and play that up a little. When a obscure Marvel hero shows up, they're usually treated fairly seriously, and there's a attempt to make them cool. Marvel just doesn't have that tongue-in-cheek attitude with most of their characters. Everyone LOVES Detective Chimp, but everyone KNOWS it's a silly idea. But, if the 3D-Man shows up? There's a even chance he'll be taken seriously. The POWER is usually considered silly, but they still take the CHARACTER seriously, more often than not.

And Marvel characters have the tendency to brood more than DC heroes, on average. That kind of takes the fun out of it. It's less fun if a "lame" hero HATES themselves for being lame. DC characters tend to own their weirdness a little bit more. On average.

OR Marvel goes the opposite way and just turns them into a complete joke with NO personality, making them pretty one note. Like Captain Ultra. Swarm. Stilt-Man. Paste Pot Pete. NFL Superpro. Mind you, DC does the same thing.

And Marvel has VAST swaths of characters that kind of fall into the same broad categories.

There's the Mutants...who all basically have the same origin story, but somehow usually make you feel like you're missing something whenever one shows up you don't know about.

There's the Teen Heroes...who all basically copy off of Spider-Man's 60-year old homework.

There's the Copy Heroes...who are basically backups of the popular heroes. They'll even joke in-book about there being 10 Spider-People. And 3 Iron People. And half a dozen Thors. DC does the same thing...but usually those groups feel more like a "family" rather than a bunch of coworkers who have the same uniform. In DC, the Bat-family all hangs out in the Batcave, the Superman family all mostly know who Clark Kent is and sometimes visit the Kent Family Farm together, and the Flash Family all hangs out together outside of fighting crime. The Spider-People...don't have that as much because Peter Parker MUST keep his identity a secret.

There's the Alternate Future Heroes...who are all copies of their ancestors by design.

There's the second-tier Avengers...which has quite a few characters who just kind of exist in the background for fight scenes, most of the time. They don't really have interesting powers or stories, they just kind of stick around.

That doesn't make them BAD characters. I just think they don't stand out as much as some of DC's more obscure heroes. They just tend to blend together more than DC's heroes, at least to me. And DC is guilty of ALL of this, too, especially with Batman (just replace Mutants and Future heroes with Multiversal variants),

And a LOT of them really CAN come into their own under the right writer. Nova really became something special after Annihilation. Darkhawk's had a few attempts to make him REALLY interesting (Shame those books never seem to sell). It's just that a LOT of those mid-tier superheroes just...get ZERO attention. Like Gilgamesh. Or Doctor Druid. Could a good writer come along and make them UNFORGETTABLE? Sure! But, they haven't yet.

Marvel's weird...just doesn't FEEL as weird and exciting as DC's, to me anyway. Even after all this, I'm not sure if I've really put my finger on WHY, though.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
On the other side you have New 52 Animal Man that decided to make him a horror character on the same level as Swamp Thing (tbf that was done really damn well, but still points stands of takign the silly ouf of him), DC does the whole "make them more serious" thing Marvel does, or they'll kill them off, which I remember happening to the Metal Men at some point.

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like that was mostly a Dan Didio thing.

He is thankfully no longer in charge.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
On the other side you have New 52 Animal Man that decided to make him a horror character on the same level as Swamp Thing (tbf that was done really damn well, but still points stands of takign the silly ouf of him), DC does the whole "make them more serious" thing Marvel does, or they'll kill them off, which I remember happening to the Metal Men at some point.

Horror can still be fun. It's just a different type of fun.

And the Avatar of Animals teaming up with the Avatar of Plants and Frankenstein to stop a alternate future where zombies have overtaken the entire planet is still over-the-top enough that I think it counts. I think it's closer to the "Army of Darkness" side in the grand spectrum of horror.

"Silly" might be the wrong word. I think I mean...maybe "fantastical" would be a better word? Not trying so hard to be realistic. More creative.

And yeah, there's been...SO many attempts to make the Metal Men relevant, seemingly only because Dan Didio loves the Metal Men. They've tied them to magic, they've made them into a sitcom, and revealed that *gasp* they're not TRUE AIs (as if that would actually make much of a difference). And they've been "brought back" about half a dozen times in the last decade or two. I've still found most of those more fun than not. There's definitely passion behind it. Even if it might be misplaced, sometimes.

Last edited:

Dessl0ck

Citizen
I'll add also that the MCU was built on B & C listers because they couldnt use the A-team(s). In a sense, DC is kinda doing the same thing.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'll add also that the MCU was built on B & C listers because they couldnt use the A-team(s). In a sense, DC is kinda doing the same thing.

Yet some of those B & C listers were known to some people outside of the comic book cricles, DC on the other hand, has access to their A listers but due to bad management, they didn't want to use their poster boy and when his first outing in years didn't go as planned, they altered their plans because they were pretty desperate to catch up to Marvel and get a slice of the shared universe pie!

Top Bottom