Ezra Miller is somehow The Flash in the DCEU

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Well, no trailers are yet out for Shazam: Fury of the Gods, Batgirl, and Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom, which are earlier on the DC Extended Universe schedule, but given how often the very questionably mentally stable individual Ezra Miller is making the news these days, I suppose that calls for a thread now in anticipation of any potential overhauls to The Flash, if Warner Bros. were willing to do such a thing. Way back when, the film was intended for 23 March 2018, and at present it is scheduled for release 23 June 2023. From what I understand, principal photography is already complete since October 2021.

The latest: Ezra Miller is accused of spending years grooming Tokata Iron Eyes, a teenager who may or may not be in control of her own Instagram account which praises Miller and denounces her parents. Iron Eyes is now 18, but her activist parents are attempting to apply Native American legal provisions to separate her from Miller, only for the authorities to be unable to locate either of them.

The fastest man alive is on the run from the law.
I seriously don't know if all this is going to end up helping or hurting the Flash movie.

And, yeah, this isn't about the CW Flash, but he showed up in one episode. Close enough, right?

Ironbite4

Citizen
They're also accused of raping Miss Iron Eyes so that's gonna be a fun trial whenever they resurface.

Ironbite-the hell goes on in some people's heads?

Shadewing

Citizen
At this point, I think he's more Reverse Flash. Like this feels kinda like the shit Eobard would do while impersonating Barry/Flash in order to ruin his rep.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
WB must be livid with this dipshit.
He's also a major player in the Fantastic Beasts films. He's contaminating TWO major franchises!

Warner is in a BAD spot here:
-Trying to replace Miller, even partially (remember, multiverse stuff gives some room to fuss with) is going to further delay a MAJOR tentpole release.
-Trying to replace him, even partially, will be EXPENSIVE. Digital replacement is iffy and time consuming. It's been well over a year since filming completed, which means trying to re film scenes will be nigh impossible depending on the scene and actors involved (remember the CGI mustache removal on Superman?).
-Dumping the film to HBO MAX would represent a MASSIVE loss on the project, not to mention legal issues like what happened with Black Widow.
-As is, the marketing message will be probably be Batman-centric, but how much emphasis can you put on Batman before people forget it's a Flash movie?
-Depending on how long this entire mess with Miller goes, it would probably be a wise move to bump the film from an increasingly full summer slate. Flash is currently slated to open between Transformers and Indiana Jones. And is further bracketed with Marvel Spider-films before and after that (Spiderverse 2 in early June, Madame Web in early July)

Even if Warner Bros holds firm on the date...it remains to be seen how Miller's antics will impact things in another year. They really don't have a good option here.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Digital replacement would send a great message to other actors. Don't start thinking you're too important and the whole world is just going to bend to your power. You can be replaced even if the movie is done. Behave or you're fired so hard we'll make it retroactive.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Thing is, they probably *can't* replace them. At least probably not without paying them. Chances are ALL these actors probably have contracts that lock them in for 2 or 3 films. If they don't use them, they probably still have to pay them.

Mind you, I don't think they'd be losing much if they got rid of them. They've been in all of ONE movie (*the Snyder Cut looms over all with it's massive girth*)...okay, one and a half movies. They really haven't had enough time to make me, personally, care about this version of them one way or another. Honestly, they came across a little "twitchy" to me, anyway. (Maybe there's a reason for that).

On the other hand, I'm really not sure if the movie will actually be hurt by all these antics or not. It definitely doesn't LOOK good for WB to be profiting off of a criminal. But, I don't know if audiences wouldn't show up, and more people might just be tempted to watch the movie out of morbid curiosity. Or, to possibly see their "last film" for a long time. When was the last time a big film was actually HURT because of a celebrity making a idiot of themselves on the news? We kind of have a history of forgiving celebrities for their various crimes or vices, like Robert Downey Jr. or Charlie Sheen or Shia LaBeouf. All these crimes are definitely testing the upper limits of that, but I'm not sure if audiences would boycott the movie over it.

Real talk, how many people here looked up videos of the Oscars, just to see Will Smith slap Chris Rock? I know I'm guilty of that, too. Would anyone have really cared about the Oscars this year, otherwise? It certainly wouldn't have made the news.

I mean, this is getting people talking about The Flash movie. If it wasn't for this stuff, it'd probably get glossed over as just another superhero flick.

EDIT: Edited to change the pronouns. Wasn't aware.

Last edited:

Paladin

Citizen
Miller uses they/them pronouns. You can call out someone for being a shithead without also being a shithead regarding gender identity.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
If it wasn't for this stuff, it'd probably get glossed over as just another superhero flick.
Would it though? While it might, the Flash is one of DC's most recognizable heroes. I've seen people in real life with the lightning bolt icon on things. If anything, it's odd that he hasn't had a movie until now.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Would it though? While it might, the Flash is one of DC's most recognizable heroes. I've seen people in real life with the lightning bolt icon on things. If anything, it's odd that he hasn'thad a movie until now.
I'm a big fan of the Flash, too. But, I haven't really had any reason to get excited by *this* movie specifically. Part of that is that it's still a year away and we don't really know much about it. Maybe I'm underestimating the Flash's wider appeal, but with the DCEU's somewhat iffy track record, I could see some people skipping it.

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen
On the other hand, I'm really not sure if the movie will actually be hurt by all these antics or not. It definitely doesn't LOOK good for WB to be profiting off of a criminal. But, I don't know if audiences wouldn't show up, and more people might just be tempted to watch the movie out of morbid curiosity. Or, to possibly see his "last film" for a long time. When was the last time a big film was actually HURT because of a celebrity making a idiot of themselves on the news? We kind of have a history of forgiving celebrities for their various crimes or vices, like Robert Downey Jr. or Charlie Sheen or Shia LaBeouf. All these crimes are definitely testing the upper limits of that, but I'm not sure if audiences would boycott the movie over it.

On the one hand, many people do think that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

On the other...Miller's done some icky stuff, and they deserve to get torpedoed. We cannot and should not forgive what they're doing. RDJ had a drug habit - he got clean, he got better, and I think the only reason his career's suffering is because he's so closely linked to the MCU. No opinion on Sheen or Shia...but then again, I never cared for either of 'em.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Would it though? While it might, the Flash is one of DC's most recognizable heroes. I've seen people in real life with the lightning bolt icon on things. If anything, it's odd that he hasn't had a movie until now.
Almost certainly, unless it releases to rave reviews. This is the studio that has blown a Superman movie, a Superman and Batman movie, and then a Justice League movie.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I'm kind of shocked these giant studios don't build clauses into their contracts with celebrities signing onto huge tentpole franchises about public behavior that might reflect badly on the studio.

But even if there is no such clause, WB should just pay them off and tell them to **** the **** off. Their behaviour is light years beyond a silly little drug problem (I mean, everyone who made it through Hollywood in the 80s was probably swimming in coke, right?). Not only are they harming and victimizing others, but from the sound of it they're verging on dangerous psychopathy.

What shitty luck WB has with their DCEU... some of it is their own hubris and poor decision making, sure, but a lot of it's just random, too.

Is Grant Gustin free to take on the movie role?

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Stumbled across this from one of the comics guy I watch:

Eh, I can't agree with this guy. Or, at least as a whole. A few of the individual ideas aren't bad but some of his takes are weird.

What I find interesting is some of the design directions they're taking DCEU if we assume context clues to the trailer choices. Probably should be its own thread but to just focus on the Flash, the fact that they're going for a variant of the Flashpoint storyline means they're up to something. Something Miller is admittedly crashing.

Would he even want to?

He might, actually. It's a year or two old but I remember some interview about the Flash show where he said something to the effect that he enjoyed the role and could keep doing it. Now, his opinion could have changed since then. Alternately, television filming and movie filming could prove to be too drastically different for how he works.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, I do mostly agree with his takes on Batman and Wonder Woman, though I feel The Batman 2 will start handling some of that seeing as at the end of the first one Batman realizes that being vengeance and punching everything isn't gonna solve all of Gotham's problems; but I kinda largely disagree with his stuff about Superman; because it feels like it comes from the "How do you make a super powered god interesting?" and is viewing him from the wrong angle which usually leads to bad takes and stories. Clark Kent is human at his core, he was raised on Earth and that's all he's ever known. Even if his physiology is alien, everything else about him is as human as anyone else. Treating/writing him like he's better then everyone, superior to everyone is a big disservice to the character.

Superman is very much DC's Captain America; he's the moral core, he's the best of the best, he doesn't see himself better then anyone and believes humanity can be better. He has ideals he stands for, sometimes very rigidly that will bring him into conflict with others both friend and foe. Yes Superman is ridiculously powerful, but that shouldn't be his defining trait. If you are a naturally strong human, you have learned to control that strength. A typical person isn't gonna be thinking about how much stronger they are or how much they need to hold back every time they do something. So a Superman movie shouldn't have to address that or bring attention to it.

I still say that the perfect story to adapt to a movie is 'What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" Because it covers everything you need to know about Superman, outside his origin and closest relationships. We see who he is, what he stands for, how he handles his beliefs; and yes we even get to see what happens if he were to just 'let loose'. Combining other stories into it to flesh out other elements is fine; but the message is still true overall today as when it was written when we get a lot of stuff like 'The Boys' which feels like the exact same kinda stuff the original story was trying to address.

Top Bottom