Everyone's a critic: Brought to you by viewers like YouTube

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I am not familiar with that.
Since my finding out about the game's existence (at the end of October 2021) sent me down something of a rabbit hole, I'll only give mild spoilers here, mostly involving the visual glitches that plague the second act of Doki Doki Literature Club -- a game that starts off as a cutesy anime dating simulator before being wrenched off the rails into -- well, let's just say it's still more wholesome than Kiss Players. 🤔

Anyway, enjoy the simplest of many remixes, all sharing the same idea: A little bit of just Monika....

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Todd's gone all the way back to 1970 this time, with a song I first discovered in 2009 when the oldies station finally started adding '70s music to their lineup. I had no idea it was written by the same guy as "Build Me Up, Buttercup", i.e. the catchiest song ever created, but it tracks.

Also, wow, I haven't thought about "Gimme Dat Ding" in ages. I'm only aware of it from that time it was used as a particularly cringy bit on America's Funniest People, which I'm now realizing was basically the TikTok of the pre-internet age.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Hey, I've built up a decent library of videos that are basically this stuff but for video games, so how would y'all feel about this having a sister thread over in Fun and Games?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I don't want to get pigeonholed as "the guy who only posts about music in this thread", but Todd in the Shadows retweeted a link to this other guy who took a deep dive into the history of one of the weirdest things to make it onto MTV, weird enough to eventually escape obscurity, go viral on the internet, and eventually get re-pressed. I give you, "Dog Police" by Dog Police. It's about the Dog Police.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen

I might have mentioned before that I haven't watched Atop the Fourth Wall in ages, but this got my attention because it was the starting point of the DC Cinematic Disasterverse. Pretty much all my knowledge of the Superman mythos comes from pop-cultural osmosis, so one thing that surprised me is that apparently every version of it has a scene where Clark not only discovers the pod he crash-landed in, but gets a long exposition dump from Jor-El's ghost (hologram, digitized personality, call it what you want he's a freaking ghost). And my impression, as an outsider, is... is it really necessary? He's already learned that he has powers, seen the space pod that proves he's an alien, and (in every version except this one) had the importance of using his powers for good instilled in him by his earth-dad. And in this version especially, Zod soon shows up to deliver an exposition dump of his own, so anything he really needed to know about Krypton could have been conveyed to him that way.

I dunno. This is the kind of thing that fascinates me. Seeing how stories get retold and sometimes make it better, sometimes make it worse, sometimes do a little of both, and in all three cases sometimes expose deficiencies in the source material.

Paladin

Citizen
After a prolonged legal battle, Suede's Pokemon Journey returns as Suede's PAPERMON Journey!

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
This week on One Hit Wonderland... Todd tackles THE BIG ONE. The song that might qualify as not just the biggest one-hit wonder of all time, but one of the biggest hit songs ever, period. The song and dance craze that went viral before the concept of going viral had even been invented.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Growing up in Miami during that era, everything he says is true. I even distinctly remember the newer addition of the bitchy english singer and never really liking that part.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Also, the last two One Hit Wonderland subjects (oh right, I never posted the last one; it was "Don't Worry Be Happy") have something weird in common: Each one has a nearly identical melody and chord structure to another famous song.

In the case of "Don't Worry Be Happy" it's Four Non Blondes' "What's Up" (you might know it better as the song from that old He-Man meme), and in this case it's the old jazz song "Ain't What You Do" that was most notably covered by Bananarama.

♪ 25 years and my life is still... trying to get up that great bit hill, but don't worry... be happy ♫

♪ It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it, AAAAAAY MACARENA ♫

...I warned you.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It really is kind of true about not "meeting" your heroes sometimes. Bit of a rant, I'm sorry, but I at least wanted to speak my mind somewhere at least once with people who know who I'm talking about.

So there's been this nutjob that's been on Linkara'a case for some time after some of his Star Wars Reviews. And for the last few years Linkara has been chronicling it on Twitter. I kind of get it. There are multiple reasons to keep this with this nutjobs harassment. If things go on it's good for him to have the proof of the dingbats crazed misspelled ramblings. But considering how long it's continued to go on and Linkara's continued postings making fun of the guy, it's actually not really making him look much better.

I enjoy Lewis's content a great deal of the time and I'll admit the continued harassment of this moron would make anyone's nerves a tad raw. So when I agreed with someone on Twitter about why he is continuing to post this so much, the blowback he tweeted back was quite the shock. I get it somewhat. I'm no person to play armchair psychologist but I only piped up because I'm not the only one that's seeing this as becoming more toxic than helpful.

Which also brings me to his stances on things at times. He's a great ally to the LBGTQ and while I'm not always comfortable with it, I do admire the push he gives it. But it's more the draconian Spoilers mentality of his streams and discord that's bugged me for some time. I get not spoiling stuff, I really do. And Streams there's no real way to spoiler tag that I know of. Keeping talk away of recent media in the streams makes sense. But the Discord felt overboard. Essentially anything that had come out within a 3 to 6 month period was pretty much unspeakable. And I'm sorry, I come to the net to talk about what's happening in the now, not what happened half a year ago.

I've pretty much had enough trying to fit within his media bubble. I'm not anyone he values as an opinion, and why should he. I've made him laugh a few times on stream, but my few dollars on Patreon amount to squat, and paying for superchats just so Senpai notices what I say is stupid. And I have barely touched the discord since I don't feel much value talking about stuff long past most times. I jumped off Patreon and Discord and unfollowed him on Twitter just so I don't have to look at that thread anymore. I'll still watch his shows that interest me because like I do enjoy it, but no more streams. It's weird to me because I've never seen Lewis himself so defensive, and he claims that it's all a joke with this guy anymore, but this one's gone on too long for me to bear it anymore. I admire Lewis and his content, but no one's perfect.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I can relate. I unfollowed Tony Goldmark specifically because of his habit of responding to his nastier critics in the form of retweets rather than keep it in the reply threads where only the truly dedicated would ever see it. There are exactly two reasons I can think of why somebody would do that: (A) they're the kind of narcissist who thinks every single response they make to their critics is an epic dunk that their fans would just love to see their feeds spammed with; or (B) they're actually trying to goad their fans into dogpiling on the guy without telling them so in as many words for the sake of plausible deniability. Neither is the behavior of a healthy-minded person, and also I just got sick of seeing it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I have some tragic news, which is already several days old. Two of the three people behind the channel Schaffrillas Productions (which I'm now kind of ashamed to admit I didn't even realize was more than one person in the first place) died in a car crash last week, and the third was also in the car and hospitalized. I can't even imagine what it's like to lose the two people closest to you in an event that you yourself barely survived, but it's so much worse when his career also revolved around collaborating with them.

The closest thing I can think of is when the Edd of Eddsworld died, and his two best friends and colleagues had to choose between letting the series be buried with him, or recasting him. No doubt the decision to do the latter was heavily driven by public pressure. I hope James is able to shut those voices out and make his own decision, but there really is no good way forward here.

Top Bottom