Everyone's a critic: Brought to you by viewers like YouTube

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I guess it's up to me to get this one going again. This is the thread for posting review, analysis, and thinkpiece videos about movies and cartoons and stuff. Apologies to everyone rolling their eyes at the title. And for the fact that probably every single video people post is going to contain a cringy sponsorship spiel because that's the hellworld we live in now.

We'll kick it off with the latest two from music guy Todd in the Shadows: a one-hit wonder from the '90s that got recently hit meme status...

...and a bizarre album I had no idea existed from one of the last people you'd expect it from:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So was it Divine coincidence that Phelous just happened to drop a video about an awesome fan made Proton Pack replica the same day that Pulsecon teased the Haslab which is presumed to be the Proton Pack?

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
So Lindsay Ellis has decided to shutter her career, 9 months after being "cancelled" for her notoriously bad take on Rana and the Last Dragon. Her goodbye post is locked behind a paywall on Paetron, but I came across a transcript on this video that randomly turned up on my feed:

On one hand, I feel sorry for her that the situation has gotten so bad that she feels her best course of action is to wash her hands and be done with the whole affair. She was one of the first to move away from "Angry" reviews into a better analysis driven focus. But at the same time, just listening to her goodbye letter...I know I shouldn't ascribe tone to something being dictated by another, but it comes off as aggressively entitled and self-important. The off-the-cuff remark about her employing seven other people that rely on her for health insurance also felt very weird. Like "I hope you are all ashamed of yourself for ruining not only my life, but the lives of these other people too."

I dunno. I left this quadrant of YouTube behind years ago and legitimately didn't pay attention to the controversy beyond "Yeah, that's a really bad take to have." I don't blame her one bit for getting out if she's been so aggressively hounded as this letter implies. That said, her reasoning just really comes across as embittered - especially the comparison to Britney Spears. As though her issues are comparable to a woman who had for all intents and purposes been enslaved to others for over a decade.

Well, it is what it is and I do wish her all the best in whatever the future holds for her, preferably away from the public eye and ridicule there in. Content creation and criticism lost one of its better, more intelligent voices.

Last edited:

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
I stopped following her well before the controversial event and I won't waste time trying to give an opinion on any of it, because I don't really have any first-hand knowledge of it. It'd just be repeating things that I've heard people say that other people said she said or did. I used to be a big fan, though.

Weird as it is to say, though, I think this is probably a good idea for her? Like, to be blunt, she probably has a lot to be rightfully bitter about. Yeah, she's been a popular and successful creator, but it goes without saying she went through a hell of a lot of shit to get there. Between Channel Awesome and just being a successful woman on the internet, it's got to have been a lot. And, honestly, one of the big reasons I stopped following her content was because I was beginning to get the feeling that it was not a healthy production. She did not seem healthy.

This shouldn't be read as a defense, mind you. From the looks of it, some of her success went to her head and it sounds like she reacted very poorly to a number of agitating events. In all reality, stepping away is probably the best thing she could do. I fully expect this discussion to devolve into a pointless 'cancel culture' debate, because that's what always happens when popular people face backlash for questionable (or just downright stupid) choices, so whatever. I don't wish her the best or the worst, I'm just glad to see that someone who clearly wasn't doing well and was making some really poor choices decided to step away before shit got even worse.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Weird as it is to say, though, I think this is probably a good idea for her? Like, to be blunt, she probably has a lot to be rightfully bitter about. Yeah, she's been a popular and successful creator, but it goes without saying she went through a hell of a lot of shit to get there. Between Channel Awesome and just being a successful woman on the internet, it's got to have been a lot. And, honestly, one of the big reasons I stopped following her content was because I was beginning to get the feeling that it was not a healthy production. She did not seem healthy.

100% with you there. I was an avid fan of hers for quite some time but as time went on it took on a...facade...quality. Like she was playing a role while simultaneously being herself. You vocalized it better than I ever could. Definitely wish her all the success in future endeavors.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am surprised that she got cancelled for her opinion on a film, but then again, she has always had an odd look at films and media, IMO.

Hate that one of out fandom is cancelled though.

Ironbite4

Citizen
That is amazing and I hope every other anime youtuber sees what's happening and protects their content.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Jeez this is like what Toei pulled with TotallyNotMark but way worse. What the hell.

LiamA

Citizen
What is up with the current thing of everyone having a sponsor of some kind? Does YouTube not payout that much anymore. It's annoying because these ads in the middle of videos just stop the video dead.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
From what I can tell, it still can, but the algorithm that determines what gets priority is so screwed up and prone to change that people just sidestep it entirely.

Also YouTube loves to demonetize things at the drop of a hat.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
YouTube doesn't pay squat anymore. They don't have to. What are people going to do, go somewhere else? At this point, you have to pay them for the privilege of not interrupting your videos for two minutes of commercials every minute.

Top Bottom