Escalating anti-LGBT+ hate and the terrorism it inspires

NovaSaber

Citizen
Good news first:

But here are the extremes the transphobes are sinking to:
“A court may not treat a parent′s removal of a child from another parent or from another state as unjustifiable conduct or child abuse,” reads the bill, introduced Friday by Republican state Sen. Clay Yarborough.
3eJyrVipQslJQysxNTE8t1i8w1EvPTFPSUVBKBImWl5frlWUmp+ol5+eCBEtBgr6picWlRam6hiCRciUrDFWZQDEDsBkpZUVANlQDSKQ4syoVKGJYYahUCwB39SMB

The bill would also let any court step in to determine custody if a child is getting gender-affirming health care. And it would block any public agency from spending money on gender-affirming care, leaving people who depend on the government for help affording this care to fend for themselves.

Transgender people have been warning this would happen for the last three years. The state of Texas has released a bill which is the first of my knowledge to openly call for the end of gender affirming care in its entirety. SCR #3 is a bill filled with falsehoods and designed to provide justification for Texas’s extreme action against transgender people. Just last week, Texas released 10 bills targeting the transgender community, defining trans people as doing drag and curtailing their medical treatments and ability to exist in public. Now, this bill specifically calls for an “end to gender affirming care.” Let’s look through it:

And of course bigots are also dangerously anti-vax:

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
. . . . are we sure that's not a map of traditional democrat and republican stronghold states?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
... Starting to believe I may have chosen the wrong time to start slowly opening the closet door.

Ungnome

Citizen
True enough, but lately the pendulum seems to swinging in the wrong direction.

Patch

Citizen
Well, things can vary depending on your living situation. Are you in a "safe" (or "safe-ish") area? Do you have the ability to move elsewhere if you need to? Is gender-affirming healthcare available where you live?

Ungnome

Citizen
I'm in a safe-ish area(probably a bit safer on the OTHER side of the bay, but not a huge difference), just always had issues with anxiety, which is one of the reasons I'm still closeted(even though being closeted is likely contributing to said anxiety issues)

CVReynolds... Hoping Florida comes to its senses soon. Really sorry you have to put up with probably the worst Republican government in the the US.

NovaSaber

Citizen

Several other bills also seemingly connected to this wave of anti-LGBTQ legislation, albeit tangentially, are also still moving.

• The House adopted an amendment to House Bill 1001, the budget bill, that prohibits state dollars from going to the Kinsey Institute, a research body housed at Indiana University that’s devoted to the study of human sexuality. While the lawmaker that introduced the bill framed it as an issue with the institute's namesake, Rep. Cindy Ledbetter, R-Newburgh, said she supported the amendment because her work as a nurse practitioner requires her to complete continuing education and that has included training from the Kinsey Institute on how to administer gender-affirming medications to transgender children.
  • Another bill, Senate Bill 380, includes a provision that reiterates a school district's ability to implement a dress code to curb "distractive behavior." The bill's author, Sen. Jeff Raatz, R-Richmond, said the bill was to address concerns about kids dressing up as "furries" in classrooms, a national rhetoric that's sprung from concerns about how LGBTQ kids identify and express themselves. Senate Bill 12 also seems to target LGBTQ students. The bill seeks to rid classrooms and school libraries of "inappropriate" books and other material "harmful" to minors. Examples used by proponents of the bill are often titles with LGBTQ themes.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Amazing what happens when people can't simply abstract us away as "wokeness run amok" or some other bullshit.
There's an argument to be made that people of privilege spend too little time around those who are different from them, and that prejudice stems from being able to concoct an imaginary idea of what they're like in their heads without any firsthand evidence to contradict it. And that that's why people who live in more densely populated areas are more progressive than those who don't.

Trouble is, even if we could force them all to abandon their homes out in the country and move to the city, the result would be that the decent marginalized people who already live there would suddenly have to put up with them. There's something to be said for the "safe spaces" that you end up with when all the people of privilege voluntarily move out.

Patch

Citizen
I doubt it. It didn't change my Trump-supporting conservative mother's mind when I came out as trans; if anything, it made her even more upset about it, because that made it personal.

Top Bottom