End of the front page?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I posted in here because this is the most viewed forum and I honestly didn't know what kind of response it would get

Does the forum software not have the ability to make a sticky show up in all forums? Merely curious since forums are different (and it's wholly possible that's a custom piece of code).

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I was always fond of the front page as a concept, but definitely am in the camp of preferring it as just one solid feed. The current one of splitting the same stuff into like...three or four different places is frustrating to look at, and even moreso to try and figure out how to go back if it's been some days since I've been here.

(I'm also frustrated that a lot of news that just gets dumped into really long threads rather than getting its own dedicated thread unless it's something extremely off the beaten path, but that's a different beast. It does, however, add to factors that lead me to end up looking at other places for a simple rundown.)

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Does the forum software not have the ability to make a sticky show up in all forums? Merely curious since forums are different (and it's wholly possible that's a custom piece of code).
Not natively as far as I know. There are a lot of features I feel are missing from this particular forums app. But it is what it is.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As for the reason our news page is sparse, it's pretty simple. Nobody wants to do it. There are always people who volunteer to do it but never do. Then the select few who DO love to do it get burned out and it drops off because they're sick of carrying the whole site by themselves.

It's a volunteer gig. I can barely afford to keep the site running, much less pay people like we're some kind of incorporated news media site.

We just brought on 4 news staffers to do news and approximately 0 of them do it and it's still just Fnu and lastmaximal.

I'm not going to lie and pretend like Kaon wasn't also the life blood of this place for almost a decade. But that too, is what it is.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I like glancing at the front page at work during my lunch break to see if anything big is happening. I don't sign in on that computer, though, so I stay out of the forums. It's nice to spend a couple minutes glancing here, brothers-brick, and brickset, followed by actual news (vs. 'nerd news'), because that's always followed by lesson plans, grading papers, or digging through a crap-ton of emails that came through while I taught all morning.

On the flip side, would ditching the front page be permanent? We could go without it for a while, see if it works, and go from there.

Top Bottom