Dungeons and Dragons, The OGL and Wizards of the Coast

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It seems that Hasbro's shareholders are extremely unhappy with what's been going on MtG and D&D lately are laying the blame squarely on CEO Chris Cox. Odd that the shareholders might be the good guys in this situation.
There's a few layers to this.

Shareholders didn't buy into Hasbro because they think toys in general have such a hot future. They bought in because Hasbro has an almost unfathomably large brand portfolio. It is kinda staggering how much they own. Chris Cox may be focusing a little too much on WOTC, and then all this happens. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Shareholders had issues with Goldner's vision too. He was always a little too ambitious with his media dream, and too willing to spend too much on it. But there are reasons shareholders put up with him. For one thing, his vision was absolutely consistent with the idea that what makes Hasbro Hasbro is its brands. If you were a shareholder who bought in specifically for that portfolio, Goldner was absolutely on your team. For another thing, he was remarkably good at not dragging the company through PR nightmares like this. He oversaw some box office failures, sure, but nothing like a whole industry suddenly trying to divorce itself from Hasbro. Shareholders never had to ask him why one of their brands is suddenly hated. It is a bad look that this is happening so soon under Cox's watch. Maybe he'll try to claim he had nothing to do with this, but that will be a tough sell when he's been focusing on WOTC so much.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The Slayers light novels are a bit more serious/dark, but still fun. Recently they've been re-releasing newly translated collections of the novels. Hopefully we can get well past Rezo this time...

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Okay, so here's the thing. Now that WotC walked it all back, is this where we stop talking about it, the thread gets buried by multiple pages of new threads and post and we slowly start to forget that WotC tried to pull this crap in the first place, setting the stage for them to come back around to trying it again?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Part of the reason why it blew up so much and people so readily organized is because it isn't the first time, it just wasn't so severe. If the thread falls for a while, it's fine. Many companies and consumers have made shifts away and both stockholders and banks have complained. Even if things aren't blowing up this very second, WotC isn't actually in the clear.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If the movie does well, they might be in the clear. If the movie does poorly, they'll make excuses but there will be shareholders who blame this fiasco.

Caldwin

Citizen
This just sounds like they know walking back the OGL wasn't enough to restore good will, so now they're throwing stuff at the consumer saying "please love us."

Honestly, it's just been too long since I've been able to find a group to play with, too long since I've read a Drizzt no el, too long since I've played a decent D&D game... I really couldn't care less what happens to WotC at this point.

And when it comes to Hasbro, I want to love Transformers and MLP. I really do. But for a while now it's just been too expensive for what you get.

It's one of those things where I can't even say I'm boycotting them. It's just been a long while since they've made anything I care about.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the people on the runaway train have no idea how to operate a train at this point. I don't think an unmodified SRD 5.1 was intentional but I also don't know if I'd risk using those creatures in a publication since none of the descriptions or stat blocks are in the SRD, just the improper names.

But who knows anymore.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is a Godzilla Threshold moment. They could have checked the document to make sure they didn't give away all these terms, but they were at the point where any accidental damage they were about to do couldn't actually make things worse for themselves. The need to go big outweighed the risk of accidentally going too big.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know if there's a better place to put this, but...

Let's say I want to do something like D&D: release a setting for people to play around in, have adventures, write stories, play RPGs, all that fun. I want it to be open for people to use, but I don't want to lose the rights to MY specific parts of it: setting, names, iconography, certain characters...

Like, just using Transformers as an example: I'd want to keep the rights to stuff like Optimus Prime and Megatron, fighting over Minicons and Energon in a conflict spanning millions of years from their home planet of Cybertron all across the galaxy.

But I also want John B. Turbo to be able to use the backdrop to tell his stories about Malarkeytron fighting against Hubrision on planet Madethisup as a part of the larger setting. They retain the rights to their characters and story, but I keep the rights to mine, and if they want to change it so Optimus Prime of the Transformers is now Leader-Uno of the GoDroids for the purposes of their story later because Hollywood is knocking, they can do that.

Is there any sort of legalese or something to apend/include for that sort of thing so that Nick D. Jerkass doesn't roll in and make a Transformers game with all my stuff in it somehow and sell it on Steam for beaucoup while I'm stuck eating instant ramen? (I mean, I'd still eat instant ramen, I just don't want to be stuck eating it...)

And if this is better as its own thread, by all means split it off. I'm not quite sure what to title it that gets across what it's about and remains concise, though.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Isn't that basically what the Creative Commons is?
I thought it might be, since IIRC, that's what just screwed WotC over big time, by not using it properly and accidentally releasing all their stuff to the public?

But I don't know enough about Creative Commons to be sure, nor how it's applied. I was hoping someone here might be more experienced in the matter through their own stuff, and could advise.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Are you actually planning to stream sessions or post what you make online? If it's offline only, I highly doubt anyone will take notice/steal your content. I've had my artwork posted online for ages, but haven't noticed anyone stealing it.

Also, there is an official Transformers tabletop RPG.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's nothing I intend to stream, no, but if others come up with something to stream and do that, it would be fine.

The plan is to share it online. Maybe it tanks, maybe not. It did pretty well in "testing," you could say, so I'm hopeful it catches on with the target audience.

And it's not Transformers -- I didn't create them, but thanks for thinking so? =)

But that was just an example in terms I felt people here would be able understand intuitively, as I imagine the majority here are Transformers fans. No, the actual details, I'm keeping close to my chest until later this year, when I'm ready to unveil it.

I just want to make sure my ass is suitably covered when I do.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll try to get back to you on this when I have a moment. I think I get what you're trying to do but I don't have time to get into the details right now

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll try to get back to you on this when I have a moment. I think I get what you're trying to do but I don't have time to get into the details right now
Please don't think of this as me being pushy, but I just wanted to bump this since my wife is going out of town for the better part of a week Wednesday, and I'll hopefully have a nice bit of extra time to talk about this, if needed. =)

And I mean, if it's not so good for you, I'm not looking at getting this out there until the end of the year/beginning of next year, anyway. ^^;

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, I'm sure I'm going to catch hell and a lot of derision and hate for this, but I have to ask.

Fae run?
Fae rune?
Fair in?
Fair un?

Top Bottom