Don't Stop, Carry On - Gundam thread

Autobubbs

Citizen
Finally got my pre-ordered P-bandai HGUC Efreet Custom, Rick Dias, and Gelgoog Vertex.

Surprised that Fed-ex delivers on Sundays.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
We now have an official title for the next Gundam televised anime series, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury (機動戦士ガンダム 水星の魔女), coming in 2022. A new website is up from Sunrise; no other details have been revealed yet.

BrrKL31.png

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I keep thinking that "Witch from Mercury" title is a reference to Haman Karn, but I know that's not what it is. She's got nothing to do with Mercury as far as I know. Has Gundam actually ever DONE anything with Mercury before?

Also, we're getting a 9-part Iron Blooded Orphans compilation. And a special Cucuruz Doan's Island/0079 episode 15 remake.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...me-gets-9-part-compilation-tv-special/.177385

What's the point where a compilation movie series ceases to be a abridged version of the TV show? I guess it'll incorporate stuff from the smartphone game, too, but still, it feels excessive. Between this and the 5-part G-Reco compilation, these movie versions are getting a bit long in the tooth. Do these movie versions make SO much money for Bandai that they need to keep stretching them out like this?

mx-01 archon

Citizen
I keep thinking that "Witch from Mercury" title is a reference to Haman Karn, but I know that's not what it is. She's got nothing to do with Mercury as far as I know. Has Gundam actually ever DONE anything with Mercury before?

Given how Mercury is a completely inhospitable planet and would fry to a crisp virtually anything we tried to put on its surface, I doubt the name is literal.

Other Mercury references in the franchise, though, would be Gundam Wing's Mercurius (although that goes back to astrology/mythology, though, and not specifically the planet), and the Core Gundam's Mercuone Planet System from Build Diverse Re:Rise.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'm thinking it's probably going to be about a space colony orbiting Mercury rather than a settlement on the planet proper, given past series focus on colonies rather than settlements, for the large part.

...Which would still be REALLY close to the sun, but...I dunno that's what sci-fi force fields are for, I guess.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I feel like I need that "Is This Cultural Appropriation? " Meme handy for that picture.

That and I feel if they were going for USA colors it needs a bit less white and more red

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would have never guessed what they were going for with those colors.

It needs a cowboy hat and a pair of these.

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
I get the feeling that they were afraid that it would look like the regular Gundam's colors just with no yellow, so they went with white for the chest.

Maybe it would've read more 'USA' if the upper torso was completely blue, the yellow parts were white, and the head and limbs were a mix of red and white?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Here's a interesting article about G-Reco.

Short summary: It's supposed to be a farce.

Mind you, I'd still probably say, if that was supposed to be the case...Tomino needs to work on his comedic timing.

It might be a little too subtle for this franchise, too. I'm not sure how space elevators are supposed to be obviously ridiculous, in a franchise with psychic kids, hovering ball mascots, and people wearing masks as a fashion accessory on the regular. This franchise has conditioned us to accept the absurd. You have to go full-on Gundam-san if you want to do a farce.

Also, some students made a 1:10 scale Zaku

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam movies recently, and we're currently on the second one. Mainly doing so because my wife needs to for Axe of the Blood God's "Summer of Gundam" later this year.

Funny thing: For all that the series is about the Gundam, I'm actually digging the whole White Base thing as a unit -- the Gundam, the Guncannon, the Guntank, and the White Base itself.

Speaking of White Base, though, I'm curious: to me, it looks really similar (in a broader design sense) to Fortress Maximus's battleship mode, but with a few added flourishes (like the wings). Anyone else get that off of it?

White Base obviously came first, but I'm more curious if it gets any sort of flack for "looking like a big robot laying down" the way Fort Max does. Or do the wings make the difference?

Or am I the only one who sees it?

Top Bottom