Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

AgentOrange

Citizen
Agatha Harkness had the Darkhold for a few centuries.
Did she lack the skills to take over the multiverse or was she just not much of a reader?

She wasn't the Scarlet Witch, greater than the Sorceror Supreme according to Agatha in Wandavision.

Shadewing

Citizen
No, just most people don't have the power to rewrite reality. A cursed evil spell book is still cursed and evil even if the user can't make use of everything in it.

Also Agatha probably didn't have any reason to care about other universes.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Agatha Harkness had the Darkhold for a few centuries.
Did she lack the skills to take over the multiverse or was she just not much of a reader?

Maybe Agatha just wasn't interested in the Multiverse. There are probably spells in there to do with numerous other things, and not everyone is tempted by the same things.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I got the feeling that the Multiverse was the equivalent to "theoretical magic" in the MCU. Something that was speculated about, maybe dabbled in a little a bit (especially with the Time Stone in possession of the Sorcerer Supreme), but something deemed to difficult or dangerous to actually seriously mess with. And with the TVA monitoring things, they likely kept the "barriers" strong by reducing redundant timelines.

Until Loki and Sylvia shattered the TVA, unleashed who knows how many Conquerers into realities and likely weakened the multiversal barriers, which is likely what impacted the spell Strange tried to cast for Spider-Man.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I liked it. Didn't see WandaVision, but I honestly felt like what I knew of Wanda from the previous movies and the comics was enough.

I did not like:

The 616 designation. Oddly, Mysterio used that as well, but at least it seemed like he was BSing by the end, considering. The Marvel Wikia linked above says they're treating it more as an Easter Egg, though, so hopefully.

The trailer at the end of Spider-Man: No Way Home and I think whichever of the ones I saw following that really made it seem like this was dealing with the ramifications of Strange's actions in that movie, and instead, that movie had almost literally (if not completely) nothing to do with this one. A seeming unfamiliarity with Spider-Man, at best.

I am kind of amused at how the plot summary I've seen on Google and IMDB and around is basically 12 kinds of wrong, though.

Shadewing

Citizen
I think a large part of it, is that this movie was written and plotted to come out BEFORE No Way Home. In fact, America was supposed to join the 'scooby gang' in dealing with things; and NWH ending up coming out before MOM meant tshe got written out and that is apparently why Ned discovers he can use magic, so he can fill her role. I think in this context, Strange's comments about the Multiverse to Spider-Man makes more sense when he'd just been through a Multiversal adventure.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
Wow, I didn't know that.
That makes me even madder about the Ned thing, because not only is it stupid, but it's horribly lazy as well.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Is that for real? Maybe that would offset Peter being such an idiot for disturbing Strange while casting the forget spell.

Hmm, so maybe the plan was for Chavez's out of control powers bring in the Sinister Five/Six into Peter's dimension.

Shadewing

Citizen
Wow, I didn't know that.
That makes me even madder about the Ned thing, because not only is it stupid, but it's horribly lazy as well.

Yeah, I read an interview recently that talked about what needed to change due to the movies being swapped; and that's the bit that stood out most to me.

And it makes sense, at the end of MOM we see America training to use magic; so Strange or Wong having he join Peter and his amazing friends to deal with another multiversal element, and likely the one that brings in the other two Peters as that seems like the sole point of Ned being given magic. I think NWH is easily the better of the two films, but I feel that the original order would have helped the few weaker parts of NWH

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Has anyone said why they changed the order in the first place?

As it is, I heard they did reshoots to account for it, but I guess that was just in NWH?

AgentOrange

Citizen
Wow, I didn't know that.
received_3262684790628770.jpeg

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh, I rewatched Madness again (in 3D IMAX, it looked amazing!) and I'd love it if they added an extra scene in a part I forgot about.

When Sinister Strange fell down on the iron fence after the music battle, Christine went over to look at him. His third eye suddenly opened to look at her and she screamed.

I'm sure this was just a typical horror jump scare thing but it would be cool if there was something else that happened there..

Like a final good bye or the eye jumping ship or whatever, haha

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Finally saw it and... honestly kinda found it underwhelming.

The story was pretty middle of the road, and while the effects were still impressive, it felt like they had the most effort put into them rather than the story itself. And Wanda, while sympathetic, just wasn't that interesting as antagonist. Like, we get understand her motivations, but we don't agree with them, and the movie never attempts to make her any deeper than that until the very last minute when she finally gets what she wants and only then realizes why it's wrong when everyone around her (including the audience watching) knew why it was wrong to begin with.

And it really wasn't that scary, either. Creepy, sure, but not scary. Maybe to little kids, but not grownups or even most teenagers. And all of it was just in the special effects. CGI horror, and nothing nearly so frightening as, say, Stranger Things.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Saw it tonight. Not gonna tell you how disappointed I was at the fate of certain characters but my god the amount of Evil Dead references in there was amazing.

Ironbite-especially at the climax.

Axaday

Citizen
Movie marketing just isn't working for me these days. I try to ignore it, but I don't ignore it and it screws stuff up.

Try as they might to quell rumors, it turned out that I never did hear a rumor about Spiderman 3 that wasn't the truth. I presumed that the same was true of Strange 2 and it came to almost opposite. Pretty much every rumor about it was false, including rumors started by its own producers. It wasn't the biggest MCU movie since Engame. It was only the biggest since Spiderman 3. There was no substance to "If you liked Spiderman 3, wait til you see Strange 2". I did wait. So what? I still haven't put pencil to paper or watched someone else do so about how many Marvel characters there were in the movie. I knew when we were told that it would break the record that the number would include multiples of the same character, but still I feel doubtful about it and believe that if it is the truth there is some cheating going on, such as a bunch of inconsequential Kamar-Taj residents who don't matter in the movie but do in fact have names from the comic books.

Having written the above is irritating to me, because I honestly liked the movie. It was a worthy successor to what came before. It is a little troubled as a followup to WandaVision, but you can work it out. It was a fun superhero movie and it advances the overall story in interesting ways. So why must marketing pretend? Are they really afraid people aren't going to come out for a Marvel movie?

And really if I were a producer on this movie, as many people as there were pining for the Tom Cruise Iron Man with 3 Infinity Stones (or thereabouts), I really feel like it wouldn't have been beneath me to find a microphone and just say, "No, that's not what this movie is about". I don't want to get into a hot and cold game with speculating fans, but when a specific lie gets that pervasive it seems like the truth ought to be told.

Top Bottom