Disney+s Live Action Rescue Rangers Is Not What You’re Expecting

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I felt the movie overall was ok. The cameos are insane.

But for a Rescue Rangers movie it’s pretty much just Chip and Dale 95% of the movie. I’m a bit disappointed in that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I just watched it and I have a big goofy smile on my face. It was a blast!

I was even screaming with glee at some of the names in the end credits. I'm a little sad that Monty was voiced by Eric Bana instead of Jim Cummings (when he did voice several other cameo characters in this movie), but what got the biggest reaction from me was Baloo voiced by Steven Curtis Chapman! He's a huge fan of Baloo and had been trying to get to voice him in a major Disney project for years, going all the way back to 2003 for The Jungle Book 2 (in which the role was instead given to John Goodman), and now he at long last gets to voice Baloo in this movie! This has been a LONG time coming!

And the cameos! OH THE CAMEOS!!! This was straight up Roger Rabbit levels and then some! A certain "ugly" one was arguably the biggest surprise of them all.

And then there's the notion that this movie insinuates that Toons do age over time, growing from childhood to adulthood, rather than always staying the same. And yet, there's very little consistency with that, since a bunch of the cameos are of older Toons from way back when who look to have not aged at all in the present day. One particular Toon who did grow up into an adult briefly shares a scene with another Toon that he used to work with, but said other Toon was still a child who never aged at all. That's a bit odd.

This movie was insane and had very little to do with the actual Rescue Rangers TV series, but if you instead look at it as just another movie set in the Roger Rabbit universe where Toons and humans coexist, you'll have a fun time.

This film is just one big unabashed love letter to animation in all forms.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
its insane and awesome what they where able to do and get away with in this film

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
unfortunately, Ugly Sonic was ruined for me, but I was SHOCKED to see South Park and Butthead cameos

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I was even screaming with glee at some of the names in the end credits. I'm a little sad that Monty was voiced by Eric Bana instead of Jim Cummings (when he did voice several other cameo characters in this movie), but what got the biggest reaction from me was Baloo voiced by Steven Curtis Chapman!
*blinks confusedly* The Christian singer from the '90s?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Okay, so... I was not expecting this much of a send up of the core formula, or disney making this much fun of itself. It was genuinely fun and an entertaining film.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I for one was genuinely delighted at the role reprisals.

Seriously, I don't care if they used archival audio or not, it was nice to hear David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck again.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I actually thought I was joking. But really, that's already not even on the top ten list of weirdest things about this movie that I already know of and I haven't even seen it yet.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I actually thought I was joking. But really, that's already not even on the top ten list of weirdest things about this movie that I already know of and I haven't even seen it yet.
This casting has been at least nineteen years in the making. He's been trying to voice Baloo in a Disney movie since 2003's The Jungle Book 2. He auditioned for that movie but they gave it to John Goodman instead because "big name recognition".

Well, at least he got to voice O'Malley from The AristoCats in five episodes of House of Mouse (another character, like Baloo, who was originally voiced by Phil Harris).

Dvandom

Citizen
I enjoyed it (and loved that Oppenheimer got to voice Skeletor and He-Man), but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd watched it before I found out about Mulaney's full milkshake duck turn.

---Dave

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Man, I knew there was something special coming when I was watching the trailer and realized that Chip, Dale and Putty were all moving at different frame rates.

A shitty movie wouldn't take the time to make sure that the hand drawn character was not 60fps and definitely wouldn't have bothered making the stop motion character consistent with the old Gumby series. That's a special kind of love and dedication to the craft that doesn't happen accidentally.

It's not the best movie of all time, but it punches so far over its weight and goes so much harder than it needed to, that I can't help but love it.

Blot

Citizen
It was adequate, but it honestly could have just removed all the established characters. It leaned so hard on parody and "close enough" renditions of characters that the entire plot being about The Evil Bootlegging just felt shallow and ill-thought out. It gains nothing from the "look, it's THING you know! Oooh!" aspect.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We watched it last night. The whole family thought it was fun. My son's been quoting it since it ended.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it. It could have been way crazier with more cartoon physics but Who Framed Roger Rabbit made it work with a human with no powers. Chip and Dale weren't super wacky type characters in the Rescue Rangers show, right?

Best without seeing the trailer, darn.

The villain confused me but in relation to behind the scenes of what happened in the DC Vertigo Fables comic book series.

Supposedly, the original evil villain in the comic series about literary characters existing in the real world is Peter Pan, who never grew up and became a tyrant. The... Barrie estate or the family of the writer of Peter Pan refused to make him a villain. So the comic had to change the main enemy to Gepetto from Pinocchio, who was creating new life from wood etc etc .

Sooo, if the Barrie estate still won't allow Peter Pan to be a villain, maybe Disney could do it because of the ... Whatever it is that happened with Winnie the Pooh, where Disney has the rights to the red shirt likeness Pooh bear, even though everything else is fair game or something.

Soooo maybe the bootlegging and copying thing is a meta reference too? If it is, that's wild.

Loooooved the final scene.

Probably won't go back to check every character reference but those I saw were cool. I mean, seriously, I watched that version of that female cat! That's amazing!

And what the hex did they do to her?!? And him?!? Why?!?!

Kinda see why it's Disney Plus and not in cinemas tho. Would have been bigger if they pulled a bigger name than the small time hero too. But it was cool to see him, hehe

Top Bottom