Disney+s Live Action Rescue Rangers Is Not What You’re Expecting

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I might be in the target demographic for this. I watched a bit of Rescue Rangers back in the day, but it was never my favorite part of the Disney Afternoon. As such, I know the property well enough to understand the references and in-jokes, but I'm not disappointed by it not just being a straight up Rescue Rangers movie. The trailer jokes were nothing mind-blowing, but were funny enough that I'm interested.

Axaday

Citizen
I might be in the target demographic for this. I watched a bit of Rescue Rangers back in the day, but it was never my favorite part of the Disney Afternoon. As such, I know the property well enough to understand the references and in-jokes, but I'm not disappointed by it not just being a straight up Rescue Rangers movie. The trailer jokes were nothing mind-blowing, but were funny enough that I'm interested.

So you are a demographic that is tolerant of this, but do you prefer it over a more traditional take?

I can't pretend to be in touch with mainstream. I'm perfectly happy with things that pick up parts of my childhood where they left off, but it seems like movie producers always think that the mainstream audiences want to watch their childhood ironically. And maybe they're right. *shrugs

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So you are a demographic that is tolerant of this, but do you prefer it over a more traditional take?

Honestly, yes. If it was just a normal Rescue Rangers movie, I wouldn't really have any interest for myself. My son is closer to the age group it would be created for, but he's never seen a lick of RR, so it wouldn't mean anything to him, either.

When I saw the trailer, I was pleasantly surprised at the concept and felt like this movie is something I wouldn't mind seeing (though it's more something I would watch once it's on Disney+ than something I would make a trip to the theater for).

All that being said, I totally understand why anyone who was a huge Rescue Rangers fan would be disappointed by this. They were excited by the idea of a movie version of a property they love, and this must feel like a letdown.

Also, full disclosure, I absolutely love the Will Ferrell Land of the Lost movie, and I would say this is a 1:1 comparison to that situation. A property that was beloved by a smallish group that was given the feature film treatment, but not in the way the existing fanbase wanted (yet somehow right up my particular alley).

mx-01 archon

Citizen
No, Dale is in 3D, Chip is still 2D.

Dale is the red-nosed one dressed like Magnum, PI. Chip's the black-nosed one dressed like Indiana Jones.

Whelp, then I've had them backwards my entire life. BRB, going to re-evaluate my entire existence, now.

Dunno, always had it in my mind that "Dale" was a more straight-laced sounding name, whereas "Chip" was the livelier one.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen

I can't pretend to be in touch with mainstream. I'm perfectly happy with things that pick up parts of my childhood where they left off, but it seems like movie producers always think that the mainstream audiences want to watch their childhood ironically. And maybe they're right. *shrugs

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'd watch it after school. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. A traditional take would have to get RAVE reviews for me to take up much interest. This looks interesting enough I'll probably give it a watch.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I didn't even first watch Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers until just a couple years ago, and I was there back in the days of The Disney Afternoon.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I honestly have mixed feeling about this. I do love all the cameos, mind, and I'll likely watch this, but...

...honestly, Disney didn't want the Rescue Rangers in the Ducktales reboot because of this? I'm not saying this is bad - I'll wait until I see the final product before passing judgment - I'm simply wondering why they thought the two would conflict. I can only assume that this was something akin to the Bat-Embargo.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not to me. This still looks like a brainstorming session that never got narrowed down to a core idea before entering production. It's trying to be everything.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean: couple of good gags, and I do like the whole "toontown" thing as a concept. But yeah: still agreeing with the statement that it's trying to be something it doesn't know to be.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Right?

Like, no one thing in the trailer blew my mind, but all the jokes seem solidly clever. The gags are funny in and of themselves, not just a bunch of "funny because I mentioned something you vaguely remember." I would label my interest as "piqued."

Shadewing

Citizen
One touch I liked, not really a joke, but still helps improve the movie just a bit is that we do get the normal Chip and Dale Voices, with them being played up as character voices vs their 'normal' speaking voices. Its a nice, somewhat realistic, touch that at least explains why the voices are different.

Top Bottom