Disappointing Yellowing Mystery

Axaday

Citizen
I bought the pieces of Raiden all new in 2008-10 ish. Somewhere in there. I built him and put him in my display. I have moved since then, but he has always been in a separate building with no windows and air conditioning. I brought him home yesterday to show my wife the comparison between him and the new 3P giant and I was disappointed to find yellowing on the left (outward) side of the left legs. It is a white bullet train. I don't know their names. But I thought he was totally safe from yellowing and I guess not.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Plastic is chaos. Some G1 Jetfires are brown today. Some are as white as they were the day they were made. Sometimes in the same collection stored in the same conditions. There may be no pattern to it after all.

Dake

Citizen
CFLs emit tiny amounts of UV, so if he's been on display somewhere that may have been long enough for that side to start yellowing.

Axaday

Citizen
CFLs emit tiny amounts of UV, so if he's been on display somewhere that may have been long enough for that side to start yellowing.
Since 2004 my collection has always been in a dedicated building and the lights are only on when I am in there. No windows. AC since 2004. Heater also since 2015.

CEEFAX

John Carpenter of Mars
Citizen
Yellowing is seemingly a total crapshoot. However, you can maybe take some solace in the fact that it would’ve been worse if you hadn’t taken such good care of them. Personally, I find it best to think of Transformers a little like ourselves; we can do plenty of worthwhile things to keep them in as good a shape as possible for the future, but they’ll eventually show signs of aging and that’s okay.

Also, “Disappointing Yellowing Mystery” sounds like a terrible Indie album lurking at the back of my CD collection.

Glitch

Citizen
This seems like the appropriate thread for it but new toys from the latest lines are yellowing.
Kingdoms Cyclonus, Tigatron, Dinobot, Inferno, Grimlock
Netflix WFC - Megatron (both), Soundwave.
Selects - Artfire, G2 Ramjet, G2 Megatron
Earthrise Megatron, Grapple,
Buzzworthy - Heroic Dinobot
Siege - Jetfire
Studio Series 86 - Jazz, Starscream
Top Gun Collaberative

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
Which parts on Earthrise Grapple are yellowing? I figure it'd be kind of hard to tell, given he's mostly orange and any yellowing spots may end up next to invisible on that color.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Yeah I'm kinda curious to see pics. Not sure what could yellow on Cyclonus either... his greyish bits already have a little bit of a bronze shade to them. And Tigatron has some more yellow-y parts of his fur as part of his deco.

Glitch

Citizen
Which parts on Earthrise Grapple are yellowing? I figure it'd be kind of hard to tell, given he's mostly orange and any yellowing spots may end up next to invisible on that color.
It's the same part's as Artfire and Inferno: it's the piece holding the head section and the crane but for Grapple and Inferno all you'll get re different shade of orange and red, mine seems fine. for the Megatron's it's the upper legs, joints and sword weapon, I'm seeing it on all mine except for the original Siege figure. for the Dinobots/Grimlock molds it's the shoulders and joints.

I got this information off reddit and a thread in TFW2005's toy forum, they've posted pictures, I can confirm most of mine are like this and those figures on the list seem to be the worst affected for collectors.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Highlights from TFW's thread:

72ikXYb.jpg

xoQjfzf.jpg

GrJExnh.png

GZSIKuh.jpg

OK6Qtbv.png

fk0DXRq.jpg

Et9TXgp.png

Even the yellow is yellowing.

And the absolute king:
shDMBP8.jpg

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
Aw man, seeing G2 Sandstorm as one of the afflicted is disappointing. =( If his yellowing is just restricted to his forearms though, it might be okay, since they won't be that visible in jet mode...

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Wow yeah those are ludicrous. Most people don't even have Menasor yet.

I just checked the ones I have out (which is a lot since they're recent toys) - Cyclonus, Dinobot, Tigatron, G2 Sandstorm and Leadfoot (who I literally just opened today) all seem fine, but my Artfire does have a very small bit that's started to yellow... wonder how long before it looks like the one above.

Last edited:

Glitch

Citizen
Same as mine right out the box, my Cyberverse Arcee is exactly like the pic above too.
It's been speculated heat has something to do with this, UK's had a heatwave recently so I'd check yours if you live there, I haven't actually known how long my G2 and Netflix Megatrons, Nemesis Prime, Artfire, Cyclonus, Grimlock and Netflix Soundwave have been like that but they're all affected.

Glitch

Citizen
We can add Studio Series 82 Bumblebee Ratchet to the list, leg and thighs though it's not as noticeable as Grimlock.

yet.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
What has changed to cause this level of yellowing? Hasbro said they're confused by it as conditions haven't changed with them. Same plastic as always. What kind of environmental factors are at play here? Has there been any common thread identified?

Top Bottom