DC Toy Thread

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
i dont normally get dc toys, but i couldnt pass this one up. presenting from mcfarlane toys, the main man himself, LOBO!!

100_0213.JPG

im very happy with this guy! been trying to get a lobo for years, but always missed out untill they were too expensive on the after market. but i finally nabbed one at release! i was kind of wary with it being a mcfarlane toy, but everything turned out to be fine joint wise

100_0218.JPG

not just a tampo job, but its actually sculpted into the jacket! got some messy apps in a couple places, but i think that may be intentional to simulate wear and tear

100_0219.JPG

one of the few things i dont like is that pants being so shiny. gonna have to go over them with something to dull them up a bit (may do the same to the jacket too). also the armor on the calves needs some paint. needs a bit of paint in a few other places too. and im not sure why his face is so white while his body is gray

i do wish he had a bfg. he looks naked without one (thanks wb...). i hope they make a bike for him down the road too. may try to do a new chain for him, and even a little cigar. but all in all, for $20 this is a damn good figure!

while im here, how good is mafex at making figures? any nasty, frequent qc problems? theres a nice harley coming next year from them i kinda want to get

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I got the McFarlane DC Multiverse Batman Beyond Boxset and I hate that I mainly got it just to get the correct Batarangs for Terry. That said I’m actually ok with 3 of the 5 figures included.
38ABE33B-B8DE-455C-960E-F61409983E32.jpeg

Batwoman Beyond is just the Beyond Suit on a female frame. My only gripes is that the over large Spider-Man like eyes.

Shriek is a good likeness. I just wish he came with his unmasked head instead of needing to buy a completely separate figure.

Futures End Batman …. Cool BaF that comes put together in the boxset. And the physical reality of a Brother Eye Borged up Batman with his skull halved with Joker’s face on the other side is delicious nightmare fuel.

Blight….. I don’t care about his comic Containment suit look. The effect hand is cool, but over all I’d rather have a Blight in his Business suit with multiple heads and hands to depict him as normal Derek Powers, a radiation cracking through his skin, and atomic skull wannabe look.

Batman Beyond… the thing that frustrates me is I had to buy this version to get the right Batarangs. The figure over all is no difference other normal retail release other than the covered mouth head. But getting the two correct Beyond Batarangs requires getting this version and sacrificing the boot jet effect parts. McFarlane is doing good about keeping their costs down but this hack and slash baiting to get you to buy more is super frustrating.

And then the packaging… the box the figures comes in is a fantastic looking display box. Sadly I’m not an in box collector and it’s a few inches shy of being a Titan Class Transformers box. But then I had a Nesting Doll shipping box situation. The toys box came inside two other McFarlane toys boxes and shipped in a Target box. And the boxes were each just big enough to fit each other inside. It’s crazy how much of a waste they made here.

That said I applaud McFarlane on great toys overall. I just hate the scummy predatory practices they do to get you to buy more. I just looked through the Preorders on McFarlane's website and was disgusted to see yet again another seperate Unmasked variant for Batwoman Beyond and another Batman with a Battle Damage/ Circutry exposed deco. The Unmasked variants piss me off so much when it's easy enough to pack in the other head with the first release. Would it increase the cost, maybe, but I'd rather get it done in one go. And it's with the entire Multiverse line.

The circuitry deco Batman isn't the problem. I'm not against repaints, but again it's the same retail release fail by giving you a normal Batman Batarang in red instead of the Beyond styled ones. Same goes for the Batwoman unmasked variant. Oh and I guess there's a meltdown variant of Blights head too that also has two seperate power effects for both hands, but no skeletal hand with energy effect.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So while I'm trying to avoid buying into another line, I figure the nostalgia is strong for some with the old Super Powers line from the 80's And I gotta admit they do bring back some nostalgic fuzzies for me despite being based on more modern depictions. So far we have Superman, Batman, Darkseid, Jon Stewart GL, and the Batman who Laughs in the wild with a call out to The Flash on the back of the card art. And it's reasonably priced too. Someone please talk me out of this!

This video doesn't help :D

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I mean, is the line being a Walmart exclusive enough to mitigate the excitement? As is, my store is only carrying the first 3 figures, no trace of the vehicles (including that FANTASTIC 89-inspired Batwing). So, there's THAT

But...I couldn't resist and snagged Batman. Hell, I was just THRILLED to see a REAL cloth cape instead of the paper crap Spinmasters is using! I love that McFarlane isn't constrained to a singular era.
The first wave has a Nu52 Darkseid, a late 90s Batman, and a full classic Superman. A very toy-esque Supermobile and a very 89 Batwing. I'm loving the variety.

While Transformers has maintained a prominence for me....a good chunk of the stuff I had as a young kid came from Kenner (Silverhawks, MASK, Real Ghostbusters, Robocop, Swamp Thing, T2, so much BATMAN), so I'm just tickled pink to finally see that bulky "later kenner style" start to build some momentum in the collecting world.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
So, anyone still buying Spin Master's solid little "kids toys"? While looking up the Black Adam toy line (see the movie thread for those details), found some interesting stuff about the other lines.
First off, The Batman is done, so a lot of retailers are starting to clear them out in favor of Black Adam. Good chance to score some cheap cop cars from Walmart or something. Also, DC Superheroes is apparently done. Stores still have some inventory, but there really hasn't been any news of a new wave in over year, that I can recall. From the looks of some upcoming products and exclusives, the basic "DC Superheroes" will be integrated into the Batman line.

Batman will have new branding look going into 2023. The big new figures for the next wave is a modern Red Hood and Solomon Grundy with assorted redecos of Joker, Batgirl, Robin and the different Batman molds. But they've lost the "tech" deco, so I think that's an improvement. Presumably, Spin Master will continue cycling in reruns/redecos. I never did see a normal Talon or Firefly.

Spin Master is keeping assorted villains in circulation through the Batman/mini-vehicle assortment. Newest is an attack quad with a rerun of Deathstroke. On deck is an Armory Batcycle (looking a LOT like the TDK Batpod) in a multipack with Swamp Thing (likely replacing the current one with Mr Freeze).

In terms of other DC Heroes, again, they seem to be rolling forward in retailer exclusive multipacks. The most novel thing is that many characters are now receiving dedicated accessories and a LOT of "scenario pieces". Note that ALL of these exclusives have some sort of Batman figure.
Walmart is getting a set with Superman and Lex Luther featuring a trio of Mother Boxes
Amazon is getting Aquaman (bearded) and King Shark with dedicated Scuba gear for Batman and dock pieces
Target, in keep with their red theme, is getting a Flash and Gorilla Grodd set with assorted "city pieces". Also a gold Batman that reminds me of the Jetpack Batman from Kenner's Dark Knight Collection.

Amazon is also stocking a pair of 4 packs, one featuring Batman, Robin (no hood), Joker and King Shark. The more interesting one is a "Justice League" 4 pack of Superman, Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman (short hair), featuring character specific accessories.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I've been buying a few here and there for my son. He was given a Batman as a gift that hung out with his growing collection of GI Joes, and that would have been that...but then, I found the John Stewart Green Lantern figure, and it spiraled out of control from there. I need to find him a Hawkgirl (if they don't make one, they should!) and we missed out on Shazam. I will have to look into that Amazon-exclusive Aquaman set, as the long-haired version would be preferable (bonus point if he has a harpoon hand). Otherwise, he's got a pretty fair collection of the Justice League, and a few other key heroes and villains.

It's a pretty reasonable selection for the price, and the figures are so far holding up to moderately rough play. I'm glad they are continuing in some capacity!

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Minor updates. I think Walmart did a modular update because they got new slots and few new things out:
McFarlane Super Powers Wave 2 is out (Stewart Green Lantern, Flash, Batman Who Laughs). While I don't have any significant affinity for Super Powers, I was into Toy Biz's knock off when the Batman 89 film came out and The Flash TV show was one. So I had to get a Flash.

Walmart (and YMMV) has knocked the SpinMaster 4" lines are kicked down to $7. Good time to pick stuff up, including the new Black Adam line. Oddly enough, while I was able to find the entire "current assortment" at my Walmart...it was the NON-Batman assortment. So yeah, got black and gold Batgirl and Grundy and all, but I'm actually looking for, of ALL things...The current Black and Gold Batman.
I'm looking for this, if anyone wants to help out...

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
For fans of Spin Master's 4" stuff, Amazon has the Batcave from The Batman not only marked down to $20, but currently has a $5 off coupon ON TOP of that.

The design is open enough that it could work with any number of 4" figure lines as well.

Assorted other stuff is on sale with coupons, including a $10 off coupon for the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold set.

Dake

Citizen
Snagged the Batmobile from Amazon for twenty bucks. I've been waiting for it to go on sale as I have a custom planned for it, but it's pretty cool on its own.

MrBlud

Citizen
Super hard to look at a 4” scale car with lights and sounds for $36 and then Hasbro wanting $350 for their Engine of Vengeance.

You could’ve *easily* done something like Mattel’s car at a 6” scale with Robbie at TF Commander prices.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Super hard to look at a 4” scale car with lights and sounds for $36 and then Hasbro wanting $350 for their Engine of Vengeance.

You could’ve *easily* done something like Mattel’s car at a 6” scale with Robbie at TF Commander prices.
But that $40 Batmobile isn’t being made to “collector standards”. Y’know, with toy features and design compromises for play. And we all know how collectors hate that dreaded “C” word…

Snark aside…I’m actually fascinated at how Amazon appears to have a closed box version of the Batmobile. All the ones I’ve seen at retail have had that open box design.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, Amazon's is the "dirty" version and comes with the figures. It was on sale earlier but I didn't want to deal with removing the paint splotches.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Yeah, Amazon's is the "dirty" version and comes with the figures. It was on sale earlier but I didn't want to deal with removing the paint splotches.
No, that link appears to be the same old version everyone has had since last spring, just in a different box compared to the open package version standard retail appears to have gotten.

This is the link for the “Ultimate Set” which has all three core figures and the Batmobile…plus paint splotches. Amazon’s own price is $28.88…which is about the same as buying the 3 pack and basic Batmobile.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Deals are afoot for Spinmaster’s stuff! Walmart has been running the 4” figures at $6.97 (YMMV) since October.
At MY store (as I said, YMMV when it comes to Walmart), the “holiday Train” of lower cost toys had 12” Batman figures, and 4” DC Superheroes. Kind of disappointed that there wasn’t a 4” Batman selection. Prior years, these product trains have usually gotten fresher product than what was on shelves.
These DC Superheroes figures sport the “new for 2023” package styling, echoing the changes made to the Batman line (with the 3 accessories being designated by question marks, instead of placeholders). These are the figures I found with modest digging. If there were any villains, they were either hidden or already snapped up. The figures I saw were Superman (Rebirth repack), Aquaman (long hair/beard), Wonder Woman (repack), and Shazam.
Right now, there is no confirmation that Shazam: Fury of the Gods will have any sort of significant product line, so I wonder if the refresh for Shazam was an attempt to get the character available with the film’s impending release.

In addition, Walmart has a Spinmaster Justice League 6 pack. All repacks, and I can’t verify if they include any of their accessories…but it was on sale during Black Friday for $25. I found it at my local store for $15. In the pack are Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Walmart is now clearing out the Justice League 6 pack. According to Adam Pawlus, the set does NOT have individual accessories (like the Amazon Black Adam Throne set)...but Walmart is clearing out the set for $5.

FIVE. MEASLY. DOLLARS.

Even without the accessories, that's an insane value for a SINGLE articulated figure, much less SIX of them. I snagged two, just for SNGs, one will probably end up going to Toys for Tots or something. And don't forget, Shazam was part of the DC Heroes figure assortment in the holiday train and Walmart has those for $7 a piece. For villains, the current Batman assortment has Joker and Grundy available (YMMV, of course).

Haywire

Citizen
Between 4 different Walmarts, I have found 2 different assortments of the DC Heroes in the Holiday Train displays. Both have Superman, Wonder Woman, and bearded Aquaman, but I have seen some displays with several Lex Luthors and no Shazam, and one with a couple Shazams and no Luthor. I doubt someone just came along and snagged all the copies of Shazam or Luthor, so I wonder if the 4th figure in the assortment is a wild card. Has anyone seen different figures from these?

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I grabbed Shazam to go with my JL 6 pack. Interesting that he even features an (unpainted) Billy Batson figurine. Came with a little catalog insert (another little throwback element I love with Spinmaster's work) that shows the full assortment contents.
The assortment for DC Heroes 2023 is Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, Aquaman and Lex Luther. The heroes have several accessory variations, with "shiny deco" variations for Superman (in his black suit) and Aquaman being "rare" with shiny versions of Flash and Shazam being Super Rare.

I assume the trains were packed by Walmart and that would explain some of the "random" nature of the load outs, especially if someone like Luther is short packed.

Haywire

Citizen
I wouldn't call Luthor shortpacked; I've seen several of him in 2 different Walmarts. When I did find Shazam, there were only 2 left. It would be interesting to know what the case distribution for these actually is, and if Walmart is packing the holiday trains, then someone is making the figure hunt...interesting.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
*Blows dust off thread*.

Not sure where else to put this considering all the fuss around the Flash feature film, but Spinmasters is moving forward with the toy line due in March. No official reveals or anything, but leaks have obviously occurred.

12” figures have been shown, including two flavors of Flash, Keaton’s Batman and a potential major villain -
a zombie-sequel Dark Flash
. 4” figure leaks have revealed a Batfleck with cycle and a new Burton Batwing (including figures of both Keaton Bats and Flash). New Batwing takes a lot of the aesthetics from the 89 film and graphs it onto the general “frame” of the BTAS Batwing. A new Burton Batmobile is also reportedly on tap, reinforced by a Lego leak of the vehicle containing Flash and Batman.

We’ll see how extravagant Spinmasters gets. Just from the revealed casting information, Spinmasters has a damned solid collection of characters to build a toy line around: Multiple Flash flavors (at least 3 confirmed), two different Batmen, Zod, and Supergirl. Oddly enough, I think what has gotten me excited is that this might help “reinvigorate” stuff based around Burton’s Batman films. I’m still holding a grudge that NOBODY has made an authentic figure of the Batman Returns suit except for the oversized figure Kenner did in 1992.

Top Bottom