Conspiracy lunatic thread - people who believe in absurd nonsense are dangerous

Anonymous X

Citizen
35E3A43B-AF5D-448C-A08B-33E81651CFA7.jpeg

Noticed this poster in the windows of several local shops – don’t know where to start on this. “Digital programmable currency”, well, that’s basically the regular Pound Sterling these days, given how bank accounts and debit and credit cards work. And the paranoia about state control of money; well, it’s state power that actually makes currency have any value in the first place…

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Sounds like the same rhetoric I've seen about the gold standard and "The Fed" being the root of all evil, closely followed by any other manifestation of government.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I've seen them claim denisovans are giants, or human/giant half-breeds.. Their evidence is rather... lacking. Common conspiracy/cryptid proof of 'there's no evidence they weren't giants'.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
View attachment 11368
Noticed this poster in the windows of several local shops – don’t know where to start on this. “Digital programmable currency”, well, that’s basically the regular Pound Sterling these days, given how bank accounts and debit and credit cards work. And the paranoia about state control of money; well, it’s state power that actually makes currency have any value in the first place…
Similar essays have been making the rounds in the Canadian segment of the Book of Faces. With minor from-old-Soviet-sphere IP attacks noticed against our banking sector, the freezing of accounts that are thought to have funded the Maybe-we'll-overthrow-the-federal-government-or-maybe-we'll-just-annoy-the-capital-city-population-all-over-what-would-be-provincial-rules-anyway Convoy, and the ongoing cryptocoin collapse, people have been pondering a lot more.

I actually prefer to use cash, Christmas shopping was a rather large exception for my (as opposed to ...whomever) budget-tracking purposes. But as I have remarked elsewhere, tips don't go away even if The Bank of Canada woke up one day and decided to demonetize all notes (which would only cause a panic, if for no other reason that Legal Tender Laws are one part of sovereignty) -- most restaurants have the function built into card payment devices. And there will always be an odd-job market for services both too small for a government to bother tracking (computers may not tire, but there is a finite number of civil servants), and not illegal. And people will continue to do them even if it means going back to neighbourhood barter.

So, even though I look at "capitalist dystopia" trends with dismay, I have a little more skepticism regarding how "total" any system can become. Even the Matrix (the Wachowski one, not the one the Primes carry) was not quite as all-encompassing as it was first described....

Last edited:

NovaSaber

Citizen

Pundit Amanda Marcotte tied the outrageous statements swallowed as fact by the GOP together with their attacks on LGBTQ+ people.

“As their actual political views become harder to defend on the merits, Republicans increasingly embrace conspiracy theories and urban legends to justify the unjustifiable,” she wrote.

“Want to ban schoolchildren from reading about Martin Luther King Jr.? Just falsely claim that something called “critical race theory” is being taught to school kids and use that as cover. Want to deny trans kids the right to be treated with dignity in public schools? Roll out some wild story about how kids are now ‘identifying’ as cats and using litter boxes in school.”

NovaSaber

Citizen
Earlier this month, while the rest of the country was celebrating the achievements of civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., parents and children in the “Dissident Homeschool” network opened a lesson plan and were greeted with the words: “As Adolf Hitler wrote…”
The contents of the MLK lesson plan would be shocking for almost anyone, but for members of the 2,400-member “Dissident Homeschool” Telegram channel, this was a regular Monday at school.

“It is up to us to ensure our children know him for the deceitful, dishonest, riot-inciting negro he actually was,” the administrator of the network’s Telegram channel wrote, alongside a downloadable lesson plan for elementary school children. ”He is the face of a movement which ethnically cleansed whites out of urban areas and precipitated the anti-white regime that we are now fighting to free ourselves from.”

Mr Carlson suggested that the US should send the military to invade and "liberate" Canada.

"I’m completely in favour of a Bay of Pigs operation to liberate that country," he said, despite saying the US has never been “less ready for war” in August.

He did not note that the Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba was a failure.

On a livestream one night in early November, a man donated $10 to Nick Fuentes, the white nationalist who would in a few short weeks dine with Donald Trump.

This particular $10 donation entitled the donor, who identified himself as Alex Roncelli, to post a message in the superchat so that his message would play during Fuentes’ show. “nick i wanted to say thanks… i ran for GOP chair and won. in the reddest of red counties in michigan i won. i promise progress. thanks for your inspiration, thanks for everything.”

Fuentes was utterly dumbfounded. “Dude!” Fuentes said after the message played. He looked up at the ceiling and paused. “I’m just not going to make a big deal of that.”

Why a local GOP official would publicly out himself as a follower of Fuentes was apparently beyond Fuentes’ grasp. Fuentes leads the America First youth movement, a white nationalist, Christian nationalist movement of mostly young white men who refer to themselves as “groypers.” Fuentes has promised to build an army of groypers to infiltrate Capitol Hill and the Trump administration and encouraged his followers to embed themselves within their local GOP infrastructure. Fuentes’ promotion of this strategy, like choosing a rhetorical theme from Trump’s campaign for his movement’s name, reflects his stated goal of infiltrating the broader conservative movement and dragging it further to the far right.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Take a violin and shrink it down to sub-subatomic size. Give the violin to Ant-Man, and have him shrink down to sub-subatomic size, with the violin shrinking proportionately with him. That violin is still too big to properly convey how little concern I have for Alex Jones suffering.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
My violin is made of antimatter because I am actually less concerned about Alex Jones the more he suffers. No amount of suffering on his part could be enough to make me say "OK but is it enough yet? I'm not sure it is."

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I'm not even going to waste music on him. His suffering can end when he dies, and since he's one of those folks that scream about jesus while acting like caesar, I suspect his suffering doesn't even end with death.

NovaSaber

Citizen
“Oklahoma came under attack today by a group of insurrectionists,” anti-trans activist Chaya Raichik tweeted via her Libs of TikTok account. “I’m sure the FBI is already on it and will use every available resource to identify all these domestic terrorists.”

NovaSaber

Citizen
Another long-ish video (about an hour) about how propaganda and misinformation work

I especially appreciate the part about how cases where people did listen to to the experts and take appropriate action (the ozone hole, Y2K) get used as "false predictions" to discourage doing anything about other problems (climate change, COVID).

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Oh they absolutely can. When progressives do it (or any attempt to prevent the absolutely gutting of social rights, really.) then it's an insurrection and terrorism because they don't agree with it. When THEY do it: regardless of how many people die, how much property is destroyed, it's a peaceful protest because it's what they want.

Don't get me wrong, they are also plenty ignorant too, but they know the difference between stupidity and hypocrisy. They live it every day, after all.

Top Bottom