Comixology

electricidad

Citizen
I had an account through the old Comixology. I knew there was A THING going on with Amazon, and I kept getting emails about synching my account, but life was crazy. (My middle daughter graduating, I was doing EdTPA, still working 40 hours a week to make ends meet, etc). So, when Comixology switched over, I just kind of accepted all my old books were lost.

Then I had a moment this morning to see about switching everything over.

And it was actually kind of easy.

Everything is still there, just synched to my Amazon account. I kind of can't believe how simple it was. Took a minute to synch, but all my old books are still there.

electricidad

Citizen
Ah. Haven't tried that yet.

I'm re-reading Beast Wars, and missed out on the last couple of issues. When I find I simply can't download 'em, I'm sure I'll be back here, griping.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
It's like...it works as part of Amazon but just no where near as good. Like, the old Comixology site I could easily find what my upcoming subscriptions were. I could easily subscribe, unsubscribe and resubscribe so easily on the old site.

Like, yeah, I can still do those things on Amazon, but it's like, the old site everything was easy to find and easy to do. Amazon its like I'm constantly having to find stuff and it always feels hidden.

Also, I want to find Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No problem. You could search by issue, collected volumes, separate versions (TMNT Adventures, Colored Classics, IDW, Batman vs., Ghostbusters vs.).

On Amazon, everything is just thrown together. Even when specifically looking in the Kindle/Comics part of the search function, I still get toys, shows and things totally unrelated to what I'm looking for.

Also, let's just say I look up Uncanny X-Men 131.

Amazon: Here's the next five issues for you in this series. Also here's the entire series.

Comixology: Here's the entire series, where your book falls within the series...oh...and...HERE ARE THE COLLECTED VOLUMES IT'S A PART OF (Dark Phoenix Saga, Masterworks 4)

Like seriously, it was so useful getting the recommendations if it was part of a collection. That way I get the issue I want plus all of the context. Why can't Amazon do this?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I could easily subscribe, unsubscribe and resubscribe so easily on the old site.

Like, yeah, I can still do those things on Amazon, but it's like, the old site everything was easy to find and easy to do.
Wait, we can subscribe on here?

I also need to dig up the remaining Transformers stuff I need before they take it all away.

Is the current series done yet? I feel like I could use a little help here.

I will say this for the Amazon version: the prices sure seem to be better.

Caldwin

Citizen
Wait, we can subscribe on here?

68F7B6BB-F936-4795-9431-1A6C1E1F25C2.png

Right below the price/one-click box

I also need to dig up the remaining Transformers stuff I need before they take it all away.

Is the current series done yet? I feel like I could use a little help here.

I will say this for the Amazon version: the prices sure seem to be better.

I know nothing about the current TF comics unfortunately.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The current main run ended with the Fate of Cybertron one-shot. So, you'll be looking for up to issue 43, the War's End 4 issue miniseries, then the Fate of Cybertron one-shot, then any other mini-series or one shots you might be missing.

The wiki might help here:
It looks like the Trades collect everything. So, you might want to go that way.

The Beast Wars comic is also finished. Last Bot Standing is still going (I definitely recommend checking this miniseries out). And we're still getting a second Shattered Glass miniseries. And the "Best of Rarities" one-shot actually has some "new" stuff. But, that's all we have left with IDW, I guess.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Cool deal, thanks for the help!

Also, I have no idea how I missed that subscribe button... maybe it's because I was on mobile or something.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That is the desktop site.

At least, I think it is? That was captured from my desktop PC.

Caldwin

Citizen
Do you have your ComiXology profile linked to Amazon or are you doing this with the Kindle app. I'm not sure if that actually means anything, but at this point it's the only thing I can think of.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I linked the two -- didn't have much choice, if I still wanted to read on my phone.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Apparently, if you're outside the US, you can't subscribe to comics.

I guess there's workarounds, though
www.reddit.com/r/Comixology/comments/mdq473/comixology_unlimited_outside_us/
www.reddit.com/r/Comixology/comments/7yoq43/aussie_in_us_trying_to_subscribe_to_unlimited_via/

Caldwin

Citizen
Huh! Well, on the one hand, I live in the US, so it doesn't really affect me. On the other hand, that's so much bull for everyone else.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
WTF? They just don't want our money or something? We used to be able to subscribe.

I guess I'll give that second one a shot, though I wonder if I can subscribe and then switch it back?

Can you subscribe through the ComiXology app? That's where one thing was talking about changing the settings, I think, but you can't buy directly in the app, can you?

Caldwin

Citizen
For me, the app lets me download a sample. But it doesn't let me buy or subscribe. I have to do that through the Amazon website.

It was definitely a lot more user friendly before Amazon took over.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
My best guess on WHY Amazon isn't allowing anyone outside the US to subscribe to anything is that they MIGHT be eventually planning to have different region-specific versions of Comixology. One for the Australian or UK versions of Amazon. But, they...haven't gotten around to it yet? Maybe they need to re-negotiate with all the comic companies in order to get the region licenses to sell comics in different regions? I really don't understand it, myself.

Apparently, they disabled the ability to actually BUY anything through the app so they don't have to pay Google or Apple a percentage for in-app purchases while still being available on their storefronts, I guess.

I guess this one isn't exactly Amazon's fault, but yeah, it's a headache. There's a reason everyone's complaining about Comixology.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Amazon is officially closing the Comixology app and merging it with Kindle on December 4.

People have probably already moved their collections if they feel they need to, but this seems like the last call.

After all these years Comixology with just be completely GONE. Kind of hard to believe.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Comixology got me into buying and reading comics regularly, and Amazon murdering it got me back out of it. I do miss it occasionally.

Top Bottom